Thread: Puppy potty training

Default Puppy potty training

My mini Dachshund is 8 months old. He is a crazy little boy and extremely stubborn. He is good about peeing outside but he just refuses to poop outside. I can take him out and be out there for 20 minutes and he won't do anything then the first thing he does inside is go to the bathroom. Does anyone have any tips? I feel like I've tried everything!

Do you actively walk him, or mainly stand around supervising him outside? Walking can help activate the need to poop, I find. My dog won't poop or pee if i don't actively walk him.

We had similar problems with our 5 month old collie. He's always done his pees outside but he used to come in and poop right away and then look at you all smug while you clean it up.

The only thing I can suggest that seemed to work for us is, firstly to put a bit of the poo outside in your garden, in any spots he likes to use as his toilet and near to your door so he associates it as a place he can go. Then whenever you catch him going inside, even if he's finished, take him outside right away without making any fuss, so you don't frighten him. You might have to do it a lot of times before he gets the hint though and believe me, it's not much fun running out the door with them when they decide not to stop pooing. You have to be consistent though and take him out every time you catch him going.

Remember to give him loads of praise and a treat when he gets it right, but never get angry with him if you catch him going in the house. All that does is make them sneaky about where and when they go.

Another thing I found is that Barney prefers to be a little bit away from me to do his 'business', so I bought a 15ft training lead to give him a bit of privacy when we're out for walks.

Thanks, I'll try that

He sounds so cheeky!
    My 16yr old retriever has started to get stubborn about going out to the toilet. If the weather isn't to her liking (i.e too wet or windy) she'll pop outside, decide she doesn't like it and come back in to do her business! So you may have all of this again when he's older!

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Are you using puppy pads? When I was training my Shepherd puppy I used the pads and when he got used to going on them, I started putting them outside.

Also.. you may just have to be patient. There were times i'd be sitting outside with Jack for 45 minutes until he would go.
    It's worth it not to have to replace carpet though.

Good luck!

uh oh. I pet sat a weiner dog who did the same thing, I wonder if it's a breed disorder?
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

This works with my Emooz. If he hasn't taken a poop outside despite being there for a while with me, I make him run a bit. I think it gets his bowel movement going.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

A*O

You have to watch him like a hawk. You can usually tell when a dog is planning to poo - they often turn around in circles on the spot and sniff the ground. When you see he's about to poo whisk him outside immediately and wait there for as long as it takes until he does. And when he does give LOTS of praise and perhaps a little reward treat. Also, take him outside for some exercise after he eats.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Has anyone tried the potty patch? Does it work?

Thread Information