Thread: Lonely goose moves in with a colony of swans

Default Lonely goose moves in with a colony of swans

A confused snow white goose could be honking mad after being pictured trying to pass for a swan.

The barmy bird seemed unaware of the adage birds of a feather flock together after he was spotted trying to blend in with a group of over 30 swans on Wednesday afternoon. Scroll down for more...
    The goose has joined a gaggle of swans in Plymouth

Photographer Nic Randall shot the unusual grouping under the Tamar Bridge in Plymouth, almost by accident.
    He said the goose was doing such a good job at mimicking the swans that he did a double-take after spotting the bird's tell-tale orange beak and feet.
    "I was shooting pictures of the Tamar Bridge and I noticed some swans which I was able to line-up in the foreground, which I thought was a nice touch," he explained.
    "There were a couple of dozen swans. Some were sunbathing, some frolicking in the water. Suddenly I noticed that one wasn't a swan it was a goose it blended in so well. I did a double take. Scroll down for more...

Photographer Nic Randall said the goose was imitating his feathered friends

"He was mimicking the swans when they were flapping their wings. One moment some swans were preening and he would do the same thing and then they were frolicking.
    "It was as if he'd changed species - in his mind he was a swan." It seems that the swans had no objection to the antics of their new feather-brained friend, and allowed him to remain with the group on the Tamar river.

Bird brained: Lonely goose moves in with a colony of swans | the Daily Mail

smart goose!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Aww. How sweet.

Imprinting is very common, especially in birds.

A gaggle of swans?

I went on an eco tour for a science class, and our tour guide said that swans prefer NOT to be around other swans in the wild...that in the entire park (and it was HUGE) there were 10 or less breeding pairs.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Eli

How cute! I bet he'd be embarrassed if we told him though.
    I suppose it would be like me hanging out with a bunch of peds and then realising who they were when I wanted to go play on a swing in a park and got attacked by mother's purses or something.

I'm intrigued. This story reminds me of that Blue Danube (sp?). I think it must have something to do with that Warner Bros. animation classic featuring Daffy Duck. Anyone seen it? Very similar to this story.

I bet that poor goose will have a sore neck trying to stretch it all the time. I'm glad the swans aren't chasing it away.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

those damn big white geese are not lonely! I used to live in Oregon on a river and the flocks of Canadian Geese would always travel through our area every winter and spring and almost every flock had this 1 big fat bastardly loud-ass pig of a white goose traveling with them! I dont know what their problems are; but they are rude and crude and always up to no good! i have no sympathy for them

For some reason it's tickling me that you're hating on the white geese Alice!

^ well i grew up with them; i know what they're all about man and it ain't NICE! THEY'RE LITTLE BITCHES!! THEY USED TO HISS AND CHASE MY CAT OUT OF HER OWN DAMN YARD AND BULLY ALL THE OTHER GEESE in their clans; not to mention the fact that they're fat as fuck! I swear they're like 20-30 lbs, fat, and ugly with this big orange glob on their beaks! and they're mean too! and they just come into a geese flock and take over! and they're so damn loud too; they honks would echo down the river

I DONT LIKE 'EM!!!

*nods sagely* I believe you. Once when I was little and vacationing in Europe, someone had geese in their yard and as I was looking at them, one goose bit my hand through the fence. So yeah, I agree they are little bitches and have never trusted a goose since.

^ omg yeah, they're freakin' rude man! damn bird-brains

Eli

Oh Alice, how funny, a mother goose used to chase our white car away just a few streets from our place, back in the early '90s, right up until 2003 (must have been the daughter). They're like "Whaaa whaaa" and I'm like "Stay the fuck AWAY or my wheels WILL break your neck".

Thread Information