Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I inherited my daughter's puppy...

And now I need some suggestions on housebreaking. He will be 3 months old March 18, and we are trying to crate train him. He is in his kennel all night and has not used the bathroom in it at all. While we are at work, he is obviously in it, too, but just recently quit using the bathrooom in it.
    I take him out and we stay outide forever, and he comes back in and pisses in the floor....and sometimes shits in the floor.
    I have had so many different suggestions, but I know that we have so many pet owners here I wanted your opinions...he is a beautiful white lab and his name is Maddox. He is so smart! We have taught him to sit, lay down and he loves to fetch. If he would just stop pissing in my floor the love affair would be perfect!!
    Also, suggestions to get that smell out of my carpet...I have steamed cleaned once, and I clean up the pee immediately and spray it with some stuff I bought at Wal Mart...
    Any advice would be so helpful! I haven't had a puppy in about 6 years...my last one was hit by a car, and I said I would never get attached again, but it was so easy to fall in love with this beautiful puppy! I am going to attempt to do some pics this week so everyone can see him...

ETA I inherited him when my daughter and her boyfriend moved into an apartment with no pets...that is a topic for a different thread when I have time to start it! LOL
    Last edited by Tati; March 15th, 2008 at 07:31 PM.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Just take your puppy out to pee/poo outside as often as possible. And don't come back inside until the deed is done. I remember waking up at least 3 times during the night to take my Elmo out when we first got him. Puppies have small bladder, too so they do need to go very often. So I think it would be ideal if you had someone at home during the day to be able to take your puppy out instead of locking him up in the crate.

I paper trained him though cuz his breeder had already started paper training the puppies.

As for the pee stains... I think there are steam vac solutions desgined for pet stains. And you could steam vac it once more after the spot completely dries.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    And now I need some suggestions on housebreaking. He will be 3 months old March 18, and we are trying to crate train him. He is in his kennel all night and has not used the bathroom in it at all. While we are at work, he is obviously in it, too, but just recently quit using the bathrooom in it.
    I take him out and we stay outide forever, and he comes back in and pisses in the floor....and sometimes shits in the floor.
    I have had so many different suggestions, but I know that we have so many pet owners here I wanted your opinions...he is a beautiful white lab and his name is Maddox. He is so smart! We have taught him to sit, lay down and he loves to fetch. If he would just stop pissing in my floor the love affair would be perfect!!
    Also, suggestions to get that smell out of my carpet...I have steamed cleaned once, and I clean up the pee immediately and spray it with some stuff I bought at Wal Mart...
    After you take the puppy out, immediately put him back in his crate.
    I've never heard of anyone putting a bathroom in a dogs kennel....?
    Keep taking him out and putting him back in his crate until he goes to the bathroom outside.

When he finally goes to the bathroom give him a treat.
    There's something we use for our puppy, it's a throwaway pad. We kept it outside the crate. She doesn't use her crate anymore, but she's still using the pad and no longer pees/poops on the carpet.
    The only way to get rid that smell is to have the rug professionally cleaned.
    Keep up the good work and consider taking your puppy to training lessons.
    Good Luck!
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Puppies generally need to be taken outside immediately after: playing, eating, drinking, napping. They should also be taken outside immediately after having an accident on the floor - show him the accident, tell him "bad dog" in a stern voice, take him outside, pet him and tell him he's a good dog. If you are consistent, he'll learn pretty quickly.

Based on my own experience, I've found females easier to housetrain than males, but that might just have been my dogs' personalities.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Puppies generally need to be taken outside immediately after: playing, eating, drinking, napping. They should also be taken outside immediately after having an accident on the floor - show him the accident, tell him "bad dog" in a stern voice, take him outside, pet him and tell him he's a good dog. If you are consistent, he'll learn pretty quickly.

Based on my own experience, I've found females easier to housetrain than males, but that might just have been my dogs' personalities.

That kind of makes sense though cuz I'd think that male dogs have stronger territorial instinct that they'd want to mark their turfs.

My Emoos learned pretty quick. Me and hubby were both really stern about it esp cuz we rent than own a place so we sort of have more at stake.
    My SIL has two dogs (both pug crosses), I think one is about 8 and the other 5, they still have accidents inside that her dogs are banned from family gatherings while my Emooz gets the honorable invite
    She still lays out news papers for her dogs at her house, too. ( The dogs should have learnt not to pee inside at all by now )
    So this all depends on how good a trainer you are. Consistency is the best advice.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

A*O

You have a bathroom in the crate? Swanky!!!!

Everyone is right. You have to take the puppy outside immediately after eating and sleeping and several times inbetween too. And give LOTS of praise when he/she pees/poos, perhaps even with a small reward treat. Watch him/her like a hawk and if you see ANY hint he/she's about to squat down and pee/poo then whisk outside and stay there until the deed is done. I'm afraid this takes a lot of time and patience but if you stick with it for a few days the puppy will get the message. When, and only when, you see the puppy go outside to pee/poo by itself can you let your guard down and even then there will be accidents.

Don't punish the puppy for doing wrong - praise it when it does it right.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

pictures please?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Good suggestions all around. I have a lab and she was potty trained at about 4 months. I would sit outside with Josie for a long time until she peed and/or pooped. Also, I would only allow her to be in the room with me when we were sitting in the house. If she wandered off on her own, I would go and get her. If she started sniffing the carpet, I would scoop her up and whisk her outside. She wasn't "perfect" at four months, but close. She was crated until she was 1 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post

Everyone is right. You have to take the puppy outside immediately after eating and sleeping and several times inbetween too. And give LOTS of praise when he/she pees/poos, perhaps even with a small reward treat. Watch him/her like a hawk and if you see ANY hint he/she's about to squat down and pee/poo then whisk outside and stay there until the deed is done. I'm afraid this takes a lot of time and patience but if you stick with it for a few days the puppy will get the message. When, and only when, you see the puppy go outside to pee/poo by itself can you let your guard down and even then there will be accidents.

Don't punish the puppy for doing wrong - praise it when it does it right.
    Yep yep yep! That's exactly what dog books/trainers would say

I want pics too! Does he have anyone come visit him in the daytime for a play and cuddle?

Zee

We are housetraining a puppy at the same time. If she has an accident we wipe up the floor with a paper towel and take it outside. Throw it on the ground and tell her this is where you go potty. Puppy now runs outside to this spot to pee most of the time.

Post some pictures if you can. Congrats on the new puppy.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by TonjaLasagna View Post
    I've never heard of anyone putting a bathroom in a dogs kennel....?
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I think when sweetrebel said "he did not use the bathroom in it at all" she meant that the puppy did not pee in the crate while he was in there.

Anyhow, good luck I've always been horrible at housebreaking dogs and I'm sooo thankful my dog was already house trained when we found him.

A*O

I know - I was yanking SRs chain. You CAN say pee and poo here LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Oh, okay I was figuring people were imagining a posh crate-palace with doggie-loo installed!

*Goes to patent the idea*

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Put down some newspaper and put up a baby gate; whenever he's inside put him in that enclosure for the time being. Next time he pees on the floor soak up a little with the paper and show him the paper and put it down in the enclosure for him to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information