Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat owner teaches her five felines to kitty paddle in garden pool

Default Cat owner teaches her five felines to kitty paddle in garden pool

A cat owner in Oregan has made quite a splash with her five moggies who all go for regular dips in her swimming pool.

Felines are notoriously timid around water, but Mary Ellen Schesser was determined her pets would learn how to swim, after she heard of cats who had fallen into pools nearby and drowned. Scroll down for more...
    Nymbus goes for a swim two or three times a summer

Mary Schesser encourages her cats to swim so that they won't drown if they fall in her pool

The author and columnist began carrying her cats into her outside pool three summers ago and now all five are confident in the water.
    "We did an experiment and put one of them in the pool. As soon as he was in the water, he just glided beautifully through the water like a sea otter," she said.
    "They look a little bit surprised at first. But as soon as they realise they can do it, they become very proud of themselves," she added.
    Her 4-year-old silver Persian called Nymbus is particularly adept at kitty paddle. Instead of struggling as he was placed in the pool he waved his submerged paws and calmly swam to the nearest wall when he was let go. Scroll down for more...
    Nymbus is carried by his owner Mary Ellen Schesser

Mary-Ellen, who writes a pet tips column in her local newspaper in Oregon, has since taught many more cats to swim.
    "The only problem is drying themselves off," she said.
    "When a dog gets out of the water, he shakes himself off. Cats try to shake themselves - but really they just have their little pink tongues to lick themselves clean.
    "We use a towel to dry them instead." But her enterprising cats won't be entering any Olympic events in the near future. They are only taken into the water a few times each summer so they can remember how to get out again.

Cat owner teaches her five felines to kitty paddle in garden pool | the Daily Mail

This is an instance of a pet really looking like their owner...or vice versa~
    Playful~

right, i bet she just tosses them in to learn em
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

That cat does not look happy....

It looks mean.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Beautiful kitty.

Lol Nymbus:

"OMFG I'M GUNNA DROOOOOWN!"

Bet they don't wait long to eat her when she dies.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Those poor cats looks scared to death.

She probably had them declawed after the first dip in the pool and they scratched her eyes out.

Ridiculous.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Zee

I had a Maine Coon barn cat that would go swimming in my water troughs just for kicks. He seemed to enjoy it and would splash around on a regular basis.

These cats look ticked as hell and afraid.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Pretty much all cats can swim if they have to, they just don't like to. The Turkish Van cat is a breed that loves to swim, tho.

That just looks mean. That cat does not look happy or "pleased with himself."

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    I had a Maine Coon barn cat that would go swimming in my water troughs just for kicks. He seemed to enjoy it and would splash around on a regular basis.

These cats look ticked as hell and afraid.
    I have a Maine Coon too and she LOVES water. I think it's the breed because I've heard other MC owners say the same thing.

I have to shut the door when I take a bath because she'll try to get in with me. I usually let her in the shower though.

The little shit also learned to work the faucets and flush the toilet(to watch the water go down) so all bathroom doors are shut and she's locked in my room when I'm not home.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    I have a Maine Coon too and she LOVES water. I think it's the breed because I've heard other MC owners say the same thing.

I have to shut the door when I take a bath because she'll try to get in with me. I usually let her in the shower though.

The little shit also learned to work the faucets and flush the toilet(to watch the water go down) so all bathroom doors are shut and she's locked in my room when I'm not home.
    My kitty used to climb in the shower with me...I'd be sudsing my hair and feel a little furbaby rubbing against my leg!

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    My kitty used to climb in the shower with me...I'd be sudsing my hair and feel a little furbaby rubbing against my leg!
    My best friends manx sits outside the shower and complains the whole time. "Mama, you went in the wet place AGAIN!? Why!? Why do you keep going in there!?!" Meooooooooow!
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information