View Poll Results: What is your opinion of tail docking?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is Cruel and should not be allowed

16 80.00%
  • I think it is acceptable for working dogs

3 15.00%
  • It should be allowed

0 0%
  • Other

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about tail docking?

Default What do you think about tail docking?

The Tail Docking Ban
    Implemented in 2007, this makes it illegal to dock a dog's tail for cosmetic purposes (however this can still be carried out on any dog for medical purposes). In Scotland, there is an outright ban; in England Hunt Point Retrieve types, Terrier types and Spaniel types are allowed to be docked if it can be proven (before they are 5 days old) that they will be used for working. In Wales, specific breeds (& no cross-breeds)from the same types as England can have their tails docked if again, it can be proven that they will be used for working. It was strongly argued that docking prevents a dog injuring its tail however many feel that the dog loses a way of expressing itself - everyone can identify a happy dog by its waggy tail!!

Wildlife Rescue - Dog Tail Docking - Debate of the Day

This site has lots of information Tail docking information from the Council of Docked Breeds
    • What is the law where you live?
    • Are you for or against docking? and Why?
    • Would you ever get a docked dog?

A*O

It was totally banned in my state (Victoria) 3 years ago. Our younger dog was born a week before the ban so he's one the last docked mini schnauzers around. A vet did it using anaesthetic when the puppy was around 2 days old I believe (the breeder organised it). I confess it's still weird to see dogs that have traditionally been docked like boxers and dobermans with tails but I'm sure we'll get used to it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't know how to answer. On one hand it seems like unnecessary surgery, on the other, it doesn't seem to affect them much. They can still wag their stumps and are less likely to knock over your stuff/whip your legs. Reminds me a lot of the circumcision thread.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Personally, I don't like it and don't think it's necessary.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Tail docking is always controversial. It is done when the pups are several days old, which is suppose to be at time when it is of minimal pain. My question is: How the fuck would they no, did they ask the poor dogs? As a person who owns a dog that breed standard calls for their tail to be docked, I guess I am a hypocrite..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

totally cruel & unnecessary. i hate it.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Silver Member

Angry

cruel just like ear cropping

breed standards need to change

It's so mean and completely wrong. My parents have a chihuahua and it's not standard to doc the tail but he has a misshapen tail that looks sort of like a question mark (like there is 1/4 of an inch then a sharp kink and then the rest of his baby tail is normal). Anyhow the breeder suggested we should take another dog or have this one's tail docked but my parents refused. They asked if the tail caused him any pain the way it was and she and the vet admitted that he probably had no idea his tail was "off". So they said forget docking bc it's painful for no reason.

I love the way the dogs look with their natural ears and tails. Plus, believe it or not, it helps change people perception of certain dogs. If they have big, floppy ears and a big wagging tail, they look a lot more friendly.

^ That's so true! Big floppy ears always get me. I personally would never do it to my dog but to each his own, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I'm personally against it. If you don't plan to "show" or "work" your dog, I see no reason why anyone would do it. I was really pissed because I had put a sizable down payment on a boxer last Spring with the express instructions that once the litter was born and she had chosen a dog for me, the he/she not be docked and clipped.

Stupid bitch docked and clipped him and then didn't want to give me my money back and threatened to sue me for not paying the balance. All it took was one demand letter from an attorney for her to cough up my money and an apology letter.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Well, is it possible to dock when a puppy is under and getting neutered or does it have to be done so early? I don't think it's cruel if they can be given pain relief. It isn't necessary but neither is half the shit I've done to myself in the name of vanity.

Bronze Member

I personally don't like it, much prefer a dog to be as they should be. I have heard it is necessary for some working dogs otherwise they can seriously damage themselves when working.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Well, is it possible to dock when a puppy is under and getting neutered or does it have to be done so early? I don't think it's cruel if they can be given pain relief. It isn't necessary but neither is half the shit I've done to myself in the name of vanity.
    they say the pup feels less pain if its done within 5 days of birth, nuetering is recommended at about 6 months

and i dont agree with tail docking at all

I hate it and don't really see the justification for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information