Thread: Indian Kashmir to poison 100,000 strays

Default Indian Kashmir to poison 100,000 strays

March 06, 2008: Dogs enjoy a sunny afternoon on a road in Srinagar, summer capital of Indian administered Kashmir, Thursday. To check burgeoning dog population and a manifold increase in dog bites over the past five years authorities in Kashmir have decided to kill more than 100,000 stray dogs by poisoning. / Javed Dar

March 06, 2008: Dogs enjoy a sunny afternoon on a road in Srinagar, summer capital of Indian administered Kashmir, Thursday. To check burgeoning dog population and a manifold increase in dog bites over the past five years authorities in Kashmir have decided to kill more than 100,000 stray dogs by poisoning. / Javed Dar

SRINAGAR, India (AP) Officials in Indian-Kashmir have poisoned hundreds of dogs and aim to kill all 100,000 strays in the region's main city saying the animals pose a risk to humans and make urban life unbearable.
    With the world's highest rabies fatality rate, India has long struggled to control its millions of stray dogs, a problem exacerbated by rapidly growing cities and slums.
    Animal rights activists vowed Thursday to go to court to stop the slaughter planned by Srinagar city, saying it is an illegal and cruel solution to a problem that could be addressed in other ways.
    City officials, however, said they would press ahead.
    "These dogs have become a big nuisance and they are threatening humans," said Dr. Riyaz Ahmad, the Srinagar city health officer who is organizing the killings.
    "We have placed orders for the poison and then we will launch a large-scale drive. For the time being we are doing it with stocks we have," he told The Associated Press.
    Ahmad said so far some 500 dogs have been killed. Asked if officials plan to kill all the city's strays estimated at more than 100,000 he said, "that's the target."
    While officials have touted the program as an anti-rabies drive, Ahmad acknowledged that with only two deaths from 1,341 dog bites reported in Srinagar last year, it was more about appeasing the public.
    "They should have done it earlier; these dogs have made our lives hell," said Shabir Ahmad, a construction worker.
    "My son often asks when will I get these dogs killed because he is afraid to leave the house," said Muhammad Hayat Jeelani, a government worker.
    Animal activists said they would try to stop the killings.
    "We are going to file a suit against the municipal corporation if they go ahead with this, because this poisoning drive will be against the prevention of cruelty act," said Javaid Iqbal Shah, the deputy head of the Srinagar Society to Prevent Cruelty to Animals.
    Shah said the poison used, strychnine, was particularly cruel, causing terrible suffering to the dogs.
    "It cripples the nervous system and then chokes the animal. It is not a good sight to see these animals die by the roadside. I have seen children cry when they pass by these dying dogs," he said.
    The poison, which is left in garbage dumps in pieces of offal, also inadvertently kills other animals, like cows, Shah said.
    Shah said he had proposed the city carry out a sterilization program instead but acknowledged that his organization had only managed to sterilize 400 dogs in the last two years.
    India accounts for more than 60 percent of the estimated 35,000 annual global rabies deaths, according to the World Health Organization, and stray dogs are often blamed.
    In some areas, dogs form feral packs that have attacked people. However, other strays are "community pets," semi-tame animals who are cared for and fed by residents.
    Other Indian cities have struggled unsuccessfully to curb the stray problem.
    India's high-tech hub of Bangalore called off a drive to slaughter strays last year following allegations that untrained workers were stoning, strangling and beating the dogs to death.
    In New Delhi, one city councilor suggested shipping the country's strays to Korea, where dog meat is considered a delicacy.
    Other health officials in Srinagar said the city was exaggerating the danger posed by the dogs and could better spend the money on treatment.
    "The real problem is that hospitals are poorly equipped to deal with dog bites," said Dr. Saleem Khan, who runs a state rabies clinic in Srinagar.
    Khan noted that only one out of five rabies vaccinations needed after a bite were paid for by the hospital. The rest had to be bought privately for about $8.50 more than a week's wages for many and with most victims poor children, that was nearly impossible, he said.
    China has also grappled with rabies outbreaks that kill more than 2,000 people each year, prompting officials throughout that country to order periodic dog killings.

The Associated Press: Indian Kashmir to Poison 100,000 Strays

I wish I could save the dogs

God, this is just horrible.

That's disgusting. Those poor dogs...
    No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

What are they supposed to do? Of course programs could be implemented that would keep the population down after this culling; but really is anyone going to go over there and "rescue" them all?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    What are they supposed to do? Of course programs could be implemented that would keep the population down after this culling; but really is anyone going to go over there and "rescue" them all?
    exactly. while its sad, the dogs are living a crappy life, plus the amount of dog shit, spray, etc that is around is just gross. now, if they can have a neutering program to back this up, maybe some good will be done.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

These dogs have become a big nuisance and they are threatening humans," said Dr. Riyaz Ahmad, the Srinagar city health officer who is organizing the killings.
    Yeah, genius, let's totally gloss over the little fact that humans are to blame for not controlling the animal population by neutering in the first place. We domesticated these animals and that makes it our responsibility to care for them and that includes neutering. Poor countries suck. Yeah, I said it.

^^^
    it's true, but it's inevitable. western countries didn't worry about animal cruelty back in the day either, it's a modern concern for rich countries that can have the time, money and ressources to care for animals. india has a hard enough time feeding its own people and implementing social policy, they don't have the luxury of caring about the rights of stray dogs that bite people and can probably no longer be domesticated. unless people are actually going to go over there and bring the dogs home with them and give them a better life, they can't criticise a developing country for killing those dogs.
    i don't like it either but you have to be realistic. when you're talking about a population where a lot of people are poor, illiterate and barely make enough to survive, you can't expect them to spend money to neuter dogs.
    the reality is that animal rights is a modern invention, and a luxury most countries in the world can't afford.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 7th, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

*Sigh* I agree. Just wish they could do it in a more humane manner.

I can't even watch those Pedigree commercials showing the dogs in the pound without wanting to cry. If I could save them all, I would.

Thread Information