Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog of the day: Dachshund

Default Dog of the day: Dachshund

There are three varieties of Dachshund: the short-haired, the wired-haired, and the long-haired. With each of these varieties there are three sizes. (See Height and Weight.) The Dachshund is an elongated, vigorous, muscular dog with short legs. It carries itself proudly and has an intelligent expression. It has an elongated head and a slight convex skull, arched and protruding eyebrows, a long muzzle, robust jaws with non-pendent lips, and a pincers or scissors bite with extremely strong canine teeth (Dachshunds usually have 42 teeth). Its eyes are oval, dark red or brown-black with an energetic and friendly expression. Its ears are mobile and hanging long on its cheeks. Its body should have a strong protruding sternum and a moderately retracted abdomen. Its tail is carried in line with its back. The short-haired Dachshund's coat should be shiny, sleek and uniform. Solid-colored Dachshunds may be tan or yellow. Bi-color Dachshunds may be deep black, brown, or gray with areas of bright chestnut. There are also piebald, speckle-streaked, or harlequin varieties.
    Lively and affectionate; proud and bold, almost rash. Tenacious. Can be willful and clownish. Curious and mischievous, they are very clever and may attempt to train the owner rather than allow the opposite. Devoted to his family, some fanciers feel the long-haired variety is calmer than the other two types. The wire-haired variety is more outgoing and clown-like. All are slightly difficult to train. Dachshunds are good dogs to travel with. They are best with older, considerate children and are moderately protective. These little dogs like to bark (their barks are surprisingly loud for their size) and are compulsive diggers. They are generally okay with other pets, however, they can be jealous, irritable, obstinate and very quick to bite. Sometimes they will refuse to be handled. They should not be over fed, for this breed tends to gain weight quickly.

There are three varieties of Dachshund, the short-haired, the wired-haired, and the long-haired. With each of these varieties there are three sizes.
    Normal (standard): Height 14-18 inches (35-45cm.); Weight- 20 pounds (9kg.)
    Miniature (dwarf): Height up to 14 inches (35cm.); Weight 9 pounds (4kg.)
    Toy: Height Up to 12 inches (30cm.); Weight 8 pounds (3.5kg.)
    Note: The Toy Dachshund is not a recognized size variation, however there are some breeders breeding Dachshunds smaller than a Mini Dachshund and they are calling these dogs "Toys".

These are active dogs with surprising stamina; they need to be walked daily. They will also enjoy sessions of play in the park or other safe open areas. Be careful, however, when pedestrians are about because Dachshunds are more likely to be stepped on than more visible dogs. They should be discouraged from jumping, as they are prone to spinal damage.

I have a dachshund and he is really the sweetest dog ever!

The doggy love of my life was one. Lordy-we loved that dog! There will never be another like Homer.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love the movie the ugly dachshund...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

my favorite dog in the entire world. we had one, Gato, and i really want another one.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Dachshunds are the absolute best!!!
    I have a mini one

they are sooooo cute!!! and sweet. i love dachshunds. i love all dogs but i have a soft spot for labs, dachshunds, french bulldogs and pugs.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

daschunds crack me up. I'm more of a cat girl but if i had to get a dog it'd be one of these guys...I love the way they are so small but don't seem to realise...they look so haughty as they trot along!

Cute!! I fell in love with one at my vet's office a few weeks ago. Just a precious as could be. How cute is this? This Doxie is fostering a piglet.

I helped pet sit one once...never again. Crapped EVERYWHERE and bit our ankles if we stopped paying attention to it for 5 seconds, like when we went to answer the phone or grab a tissue.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

My baby is part dachshund. He's a few other things, too, but he has dachshund chest, front feet, and torso. He's a sweet thang.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Cute!! I fell in love with one at my vet's office a few weeks ago. Just a precious as could be. How cute is this? This Doxie is fostering a piglet.

Is it legal to be so cute??

I also have a mini. Sweetest dog ever! I love her to pieces. She's the big sister!
    Proud Mama....now where's my glass of wine?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Is it legal to be so cute??
    I don't think it is....I don't know which is cuter, the pups or the piglet!!!

My doxie is the best dog I've ever owned. He's a piebald; white with brown spots.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information