Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How could you?

Default How could you?

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housetraining took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

The End

http://jimwillis0.tripod.com/tiergarten/id21.html

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

There is a special place in Hell for bitches like this one in the story. I despise people who just 'don't have time' for their pets after children come along, especially ones who dump them like garbage. They don't seem to be such stellar parents, either. They're the ones who loooove babies but when kids start being a pain they just try to overschedule them so they don't have to interact with them as much.

This makes me cry everytime I read it.

Good God, this made me cry at work.

I know this kind of thing happens every day and that's what really guts me. How anyone could do this to an animal, much less on they love, escapes me. I truly don't understand it. I have a dog and there's no way I could ever, ever, ever do this. Ever. This infuriates me beyond all reason.

I, too, hope there's an extra hot place in Hell for people like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

It is really disgusting that anyone would abandon an animal like that. I understand sometimes it is because they cannot "care" for them, whether it be money issues, or whatever...That is understandable, and acceptable. What isn't acceptable is not being adult enough to take care of responsibilities. It is so sad and disgusting.

This makes me cry everytime I read it.
    ^ Me too. I don't know why I clicked on it, I knew what it was.

Ugh, my husband and I would never treat our pets this way, but I've unfortunately had to see it from my parents (who *might* be moving into a retirement home and so gave up their cats like a year in advance, wtf?) and from my brother and sister-in-law as soon as they got pregnant (like they couldn't possibly have a kitty and a baby together?). And you know, they never even asked us if we might take them. It would have been four cats total (and we already have two), but we probably would have, or at least taken them temporarily and found them some new homes. I didn't know until it was too late.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Yeah, it is sad. The three dogs we had/have were all from the pound, and really the best pets. I know the last one was sent to the pound by an old couple that could no longer take care of her, they at least said if no one picks her up, we will gladly take her back. Luckily for my dog, even if we didn't pick her, she wouldn't be there long at all because of her lovely personality!

The sickest thing I see are people who get rid of their elderly/near eldery animals, KNOWING thatt most people will not adopt them due to the financial burden an aged animal entails. I think they should try and find a home, and after a certain amount of time, pay to have it put it down themselves...that way they have to watch first hand the consequence of their actions.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Ya that one kills me.. If that don't make ya tear up there's something wrong with you.

All those poor animals.. but the injection is the most humane way.. if they have to.. those horror stories of the gas not working and the ones that end up buried or frozen alive.. KILLS me.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

^^ I am confused, how would they not know the dog is still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    It is really disgusting that anyone would abandon an animal like that. I understand sometimes it is because they cannot "care" for them, whether it be money issues, or whatever...That is understandable, and acceptable. What isn't acceptable is not being adult enough to take care of responsibilities. It is so sad and disgusting.
    So true. I don't even really consider money issues a good enough reason. I hate to say this but people need to think of all the expenses an animal has before making their decision. I got my dog when I had a steady job and would have been able to pay for everything for him. I would be heartbroken if an emergency came up and I didn't have the money to help him. I even have my Fin Account (which is just for his expenses).
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    ^^ I am confused, how would they not know the dog is still alive?
    Cause they do them in groups, big groups and the dogs are drowsy and seem dead.. and they are buried under others not getting enough gas.. then they throw them in graves or in freezers and later hear them making noise when they come to.. Can you imagine?! How sad.
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Hell, I thought they did it separately...sounds silly..but just seems more human that way. Lovely way to treat an animal that would probably lay his/her life on the line for you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

So true. I don't even really consider money issues a good enough reason.
    I don't either. If you needed a new roof, you'd put it on a credit card if necessary. The care for my animals counts as one of the bona fide emergency expenses for using a credit card.

As for the issue of dumping the kitty or dog when baby comes, people that stupid should really have their reproductive organs gutted......without anesthesia preferably. Then, these morons go on to have another child. A baby and a dog was too much trouble, but you can handle another kid? The way I see it, responsible people live up to their responsibilities, period. People who think like this will be awful parents because they already show you they are ones who take an easy out when they feel inconvenienced and, let me tell you, that mouthy 13 yr old brat will cause you more grief, expense, and inconvenience than any incontinent dog ever will. People like that deserve to be dumped in nursing homes by their own self centered brats when they become too much of a burden to care for and stop being a breathing ATM.

I just found a story online of a dog put in the gas chamber with other dogs and when they opened the door he stood there bright eyed and tail wagging. They said- He survived for a reason..and after a story on the news about it, he was adopted and has a great life now.
    Ahhhh.
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

I'm normally quite immune to emotionally manipulative writing...except when it involves animals. Damn.

(And of course, it doesn't make it any less true).

The other day, I realised that one of my favourite strays, that hangs out near a bar I go to (the owner feeds the dogs and lets them get in to get warm) disappeared. She was a sweet thing, obviously abandoned by her previous owner...probably got hit by a car or euthanised by the State.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information