Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Black Dog Syndrome

Thumbs down Big Black Dog Syndrome

I learned about something recently that surprised me. Evidently, many people do not want big black dogs.

As the owner of a black Lab, I found this to be surprising. But a newsletter from the Heartland Lab Rescue had an article about how big black dogs are the hardest dogs to adopt out for shelters.
    Theories abound as to why. Black dogs are difficult to see in their crates and cages at shelters. It’s hard to see their faces. They don’t photograph easily for online listings. There is a cultural bias against big black dogs because of irresponsible Rottie, Lab, Chow, Pitt and Doberman owners. People are more afraid of big black dogs because it’s hard to read their expressions when you can’t see their eyes and faces very well. Black dogs are too common or “ordinary” and prospective pet owners prefer a more unique coat color or pattern.
    The theories vary, but the statistics don’t. Consistently across the country at shelter after shelter, the wait time for big black dogs — especially males — is longer than for any other type of dog. The adoption rate is lower. The surrender rate is higher.
    “Our yellow and chocolate puppies rarely last more than a week before being adopted by loving families,” says Amy Serrata, Hertland Lab Rescue Co-Chair. “But the black puppies simply get passed up.”
    Here are some ways to keep black dogs out of shelters:
    • Spay and neuter.
    • Adopt, foster or sponsor a big black dog.
    • If you can take decent pictures, volunteer your time to take photos of big black dogs for posting on adoption sites; the photo can make all the difference. (Hint: Take pictures outdoors on an overcast day.)
    • Spread the word about adoptable dogs to friends and family.
    • If you hear of someone who’s looking for a family dog, encourage them to get a black dog.
    To find a big black dog waiting for adoption, go to www.blackpearldogs.com or www.heartlandlabrescue.com.

I’m involved with Big Brothers/Big Sisters and I’ve been matched with a fourth grade boy. He is definitely more afraid of my black Lab than he was of my Collie. I always chalked it up to Boudain’s high energy level. But maybe there is a bias, especially in urban cultures.
    What are your experiences with big black dogs? Are you more afraid of them when you pass them on the street? Do you keep a closer eye out on your dog at the dog park when he/she plays with or around big black dogs? Have you witnessed bias against big black dogs?
    Listen to the Lucky Dog Show for more information about Big Black Dogs. Click here for more info.

Big Black Dog Syndrome Dog Blog - Dog Product Reviews

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................................

My lovely Bella

A big, black dog was the love of my life for 10 years (he weighed more than I did/do by the time he was rehabbed). I rescued him out of the garbage of the Norris Projects.

I'm drawn now to the dogs that look like him. Positive association, I guess.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Wow, that's an interesting article. I actually gravitate toward 'big black dogs'. For some strange reason I find 'big white dogs' more scary.

I am trying to convince my hubby that we need to find a black lab to adopt. So far he is saying no. We got our pup (a small breed mutt) last summer and now I am officially a cat AND a dog person.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

we had a black lab and she was the sweetest, funniest, most adorable dog ever.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Here's my baby! He was the first one I saw and I instantly fell in love!

How ridiculous! My French teacher had huge black mutt, and she was the sweetest dog you could meet.

laynes, your doggie looks like a real sweatheart!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I have to say that big white dogs scare me more than a big black dog would. I think those black labs are cute!

Well that's just stupid.
    Like black cats are evil.. c'mon.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

ANC

I always said after my 3 dalmatians die off, I'm going to the shelter to adopt the biggest, blackest, ugliest dog that's been there the longest.
    Too many idiots, not enough villages.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    big black dogs are the hardest dogs to adopt out for shelters. Theories abound as to why.
    The Grimm perhaps? It's supposed to be a big black dog that foreshadows your death.

I had a big black dog. Still miss him.

^^ awww. You guys are the best. heheh

Well, I love a big, black dog!

laynes and krisnine, your doggies are gorgeous! I can't believe people don't like big black doggies, that's just stupid. Yours look like complete sweethearts.

Thanks, Yanna. I think she's gorgeous

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    laynes and krisnine, your doggies are gorgeous! I can't believe people don't like big black doggies, that's just stupid. Yours look like complete sweethearts.
    Thank you! The worst thing about him is that he thinks he's a lap dog at 75lbs! He's the best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information