Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm putting my dog down today

Eli

Default I'm putting my dog down today

In about ten minutes the vet is due to come. Our dog's been sick for over a year, lopped off his tongue in late 2006 and he's had tumors popping up like the dickins, so today we're putting him down. So sad. But at the same time, I can't be too sad because it's for the best.
    Big dogs suck for only lasting 10 years!

Eli

He was put down about half an hour ago. Just horrible. One minute he had his head up and he was being coddled by mum, then the next he just dropped it. And it wasn't like a "collapsing" sort of drop, it was like he just decided to put his head down, albeit suddenly, like you might if you get dizzy and think it's best to.
    I have to say it was like he was there one minute, then he just left. I'm an aethiest and I'll stand by that, there's definitely something else there after death because it was like he left. I felt like he just went somewhere else. So good, in that regard.
    Anyway I had a huge cry and I'm not over it but what's done is done.

I'm sorry, Allie.

It takes a loving pet parent to take away their pain, when it'll cause you so much.

“What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I am truly sorry Allie. A beloved pet is a member of the family. You'll probably never be over it, and that's OK!!!

I had my cat of 17 yrs put down a few months ago and I still look for her, want to feed her, etc. Its still not easy. But its getting better.

Try to remember the good times, when your dog wasn't sick, and happy times. Still won't bring him back I know.

My thoughts are with you and your dog.....*hugs*

Eli

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    I had my cat of 17 yrs put down a few months ago and I still look for her, want to feed her, etc. Its still not easy. But its getting better.

Try to remember the good times, when your dog wasn't sick, and happy times. Still won't bring him back I know.
    I feel extra sad about it because I gave him tough-love, I wasn't cold as such but I rarely went near him, and if I did it was a quick scratch on the head or a long scratch but with my body far away (and stretching to reach him) because he seemed to really not like me from the moment we got him for some reason, which is upsetting in itself. But on the odd occassion if he looked up at me with adoring eyes I would give him a good old heap of attention.

And I remember on the occassions when he'd go to the vets, the house was so bare without him there, it was a weird feeling. Our last pet to die was a cat in 2000 and we heard him running down the hall for about 6 months after, and I even felt him jump onto my bed once when I was fully awake, so I imagine Max will haunt us for a while.

^^Perhaps that 'tough love' approach you took with him was exactly what he needed/wanted, so don't feel bad about it. Even though you weren't over affectionate with him, doesn't mean you loved or liked him any less. He knows that. He's lucky he had you!!!

Awww I'm so sorry Allie, it's always sad losing a pet. Don't feel bad that you didn't pay him much attention. At least you weren't being horrible or abusive to him. Animals have individual personalities like us, and sometimes we just don't mesh. But I'm sure your parents made sure he had as much attention as he needed. Anyways, it sounded like he still loved you and vice versa regardless and that's what matters

Allie Sorry for your loss. Putting an animal to sleep is one of the hardest things to grapple with. I'm sure even though you sometimes gave him tough love, he still knows he was very much loved. I think it's quite beautiful he could pass on at home surrounded by love and family.

LynnieD, *hugs* I had my cat who was 17 put to sleep in August. I came home to find she had vomited, and there were red drops on the floor. I found her curled up asleep on my bed so woke her up to get her some water when I realized she was dropping blood on the floor. I took her to the vets and he thought she was in the last stages of kidney failure -- how did I miss that? The same morning she was jumping on me in bed . I had her put to sleep the same night, and I do really miss her so much. Tears me up thinking about her. You always wonder whether you did the right thing, or whether you should have kept them around longer.
    ssabmud

I'm so sorry for your loss Allie
    I'm sure he is in a better place

Allie, I'm so sorry. This is heartbreaking. At least he is no longer in pain. My dog is 3 years old, and I'm already dreading the day that she goes because I just love her so much.

Eli

^^ Thanks. And yes me too I was just thinking that today with my five year old who is still a puppy to me!! I'm dreading when he dies. But he's a smaller dog so it might not be for another 10 years.
    Speaking of Lachey, he's been acting very weird since we had Max put down. He's been very subdued, I don't think he's confused, I actually think he knows exactly what's going on. For these reasons:
    This morning mum told me Max was going to be put down at 11:30 in the morning, so I went out and scratched Max on the head as I went past, and noticed that Lachey was sitting quietly right next to Max. I was like "hmmm that's weird" because usually the two of them pretend the other doesn't exist, so to me it looked like Lachey was saying goodbye to him by being there...
    And apparently an hour or so before it happened, Lachey jumped onto the bed where mum was sitting and he put his front paws on her leg and gave her one lick on the chin (instead of his usuall epileptic 500+ licks). So sweet.
    I actually turned a corner in the hall about 10 minutes ago and saw this strange streak of white for about a second. Could have been my overly long eyelashes but then again, maybe it's not.

I am so sorry Allie...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

So sorry-we have been in your shoes. You did the right thing,Allie.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hey Allie.

It takes a lot of kindness to put an animal that you love down. Sometimes if the suffering is too much, that decision is the only option left.

I'm sorry and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    And apparently an hour or so before it happened, Lachey jumped onto the bed where mum was sitting and he put his front paws on her leg and gave her one lick on the chin (instead of his usuall epileptic 500+ licks). So sweet.

I actually turned a corner in the hall about 10 minutes ago and saw this strange streak of white for about a second. Could have been my overly long eyelashes but then again, maybe it's not.
    Allie that is so sweet about Lachey....

I am so sorry

I like the idea your dog is still with you somehow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information