Thread: Wallace and Gromit creators unveil new characters - who are all disabled

Default Wallace and Gromit creators unveil new characters - who are all disabled

The creators of Wallace and Gromit have unveiled their latest characters - each with a disability.

Tim the tortoise (who gets around on crutches), stick inset Slim (who uses a walking stick) and Flash the sausage dog who uses a wheelchair are among six stars of the Creature Discomforts adverts.

The ad campaign, which is based on Aardman Animation's popular Creature Comforts commercials, aims to highlight problems faced by disabled people.
    Scroll down for more...
    Dog's life: Flash describes the problems of being in a wheelchair

Each character is based on, and voiced by, a disabled person after Aardman Animation teamed up with the Leonard Cheshire Disability charity.

Slim is based on the reallife experiences of 66-year-old Irving Mellor, from the Isle of Man, who was registered disabled because of back problems caused by heavy lifting.

Tortoise Tim was inspired by Ian Wilding, 50, from Cardiff, who has multiple sclerosis.
    Scroll down for more...
    Tortoise power: Tim uses crutches

Helping hand: Slim uses a walking stick, like the person who voices him

And wheelchair user Alex Milhaly, 57, from Derbyshire, is the voice behind Flash.
    Bryan Dutton, director general of the charity, said: 'We want people to change the way they see disability, to think and act differently and to make a positive difference to the lives of disabled people.

'Creature Comforts is well known and much-loved for its ability to bring home messages in a simple, everyday way.

'Our Creature Discomforts campaign builds on this, making a serious point with humour.'

Steve Harding-Hill, from Aardman Animation, said: 'Taking the real voices and experiences of disabled people and creating animated stories that are informative, entertaining and poignant has been an immense but incredibly satisfying challenge.'

The campaign will feature in newspapers, on bus stops and online from Thursday, and in TV adverts from January.
    Scroll down for more...
    Wheelchair: A dog who cannot walk

Disabled: A slug

Wallace and Gromit creators unveil new characters - who are all disabled | the Daily Mail

In between the mountains and sea

I like it! Call me weird, but I have a thing for the underdog/cat. My heart swells everytime I see a tripod, cyclopse, etc.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

the salad bowl

how cool! i love the aardman entertainment films.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Between uncertainty and acceptance

Cool! I've walked across that bridge in real life several times, it's about 10 miles away in Bristol, where Aardman are based.

I don't know if you are allowed to bungee off it, but it'd be fun to try!

Sweet adverts as well.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    I like it! Call me weird, but I have a thing for the underdog/cat. My heart swells everytime I see a tripod, cyclopse, etc.
    Me too!

Man I hate Wallace and Gromit!!! but I'm glad that they are doing something noteworthy
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Dancing on your grave!!!!

I love Wallace and Gromit and Creature Comforts!!! We won't get these here unfortunately but I'll have to keep an eye out for downloading. Wonderful stuff.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Thread Information