Thread: Pet food and water outside

Default Pet food and water outside

Now that my son is pretty much up and mobile it looks like I'm going to have to put my dog's food and water outside since he just loves splashing in the water!

I have a little toy poodle and he has his own doggie door so he can go inside and out whenever he needs. When we first moved in we tried putting his food and water outside but ants and birds kept getting into it and I didn't want him catching a disease. Can anyone please give me some suggestions on how to keep the pests away?

I heard putting water around his food keeps the ants away. Is there perhaps some kind of special tray I can put his food on while having water surrounding it? I'd imagine there is some kind of product out there but I have no idea where to start looking and what it would be called. Any experts out there?

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

we put a gallon of water around the yard and it keeps birds and pets away for some reason. also, to keep the ants away we put a plate turned upside down and rest the food on top of that. we have also used a small bowl of water, and put the food inside of that. but my cats are pigs so we rarely worry.
    oh and dont forget to wash the bowl daily
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

I give my dogs 2 small meals of dry dogfood every day and they practically inhale it so there's never any food laying around to attract bugs. If your dog leaves anything in the bowl after he's eaten try giving him smaller portions so he eats it all? They stop when they are full. Water shouldn't be particularly attractive to bugs anyway.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thanks for the replies!

I guess my dog is a bit different as we pretty much have dry food out for him 24/7 because he just grazes on it. He's an old boy now, 18 years old, and he's a bit picky. When inside, his dry food will last about 2 days. I guess I could do it smaller but I'd still have the problem of him not eating it all at once and the ants chowing down in the meantime. And the birds come under the veranda and make off with the rest.

I'll try the plate trick with the ants, and I'll have to think of something to stop the birds. The water trick sounds interesting! When we first moved in we had pigeons under the veranda but they're long gone so maybe it won't be so bad. But I still see the occasional random bird looking around for food.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

They sell -bug proof- dishes at pet stores. They have sort of a 'lip' at the bottom. I've used them and they work. Also, try smearing Vaseline arounf the bottom edges of the bowl.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

You could use a shallow cookie sheet?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    we put a gallon of water around the yard and it keeps birds and pets away for some reason. also, to keep the ants away we put a plate turned upside down and rest the food on top of that. we have also used a small bowl of water, and put the food inside of that. but my cats are pigs so we rarely worry.
    oh and dont forget to wash the bowl daily
    ^^ I've seen that trick on TV.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Also, supposedly cinnamon keeps ants away. I forget how I know this, but it actually does work.

For the water, you could use one of these things:
    Dog | Dog Bowls & Feeders | Petmate Ultra Waterer | Petsmart.com

But i've yet to discover the trick to making it not overflow.

Also, they make all manner of elevated pet food tables:
    Petsmart.com - Dog: Bowls & Feeders

A*O

Hell, if Morticia Jr does eat some dry dog food I doubt it will kill him. It's the dry dog turds that would concern me LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^ haha actually, it's more the water bowl that's the problem. How can a little bowl of water be made to look like a tsunami has hit? Kids!

Thanks for the suggestions Cali! I might see if they sell something like that in Ozland. I've put his food and water out today and I'll see what happens. I've put his food in a bowl on a plate and filled the plate with water. We'll see how that goes in the meantime.

Thanks again for the help

18 years old? Wow! How cute.

My dogs are like AO's, they get fed twice a day and their food doesn't last more than 30 seconds. But I can see how at that age it is probably harder to eat.

Thread Information