Cock-A-Poos
    Schnoodles
    Yorkiepoos
    Woodles
    Doodles (Daxie-Poodle Cross)
    Bogles (Beagle- Boxer cross)
    Golden Doodles
    Bugs (Boston Terrier-Pug Cross)

What do you think of these types of dogs? Most seem to be really expensive, and you can get a loveable crossbreed at a pound/dog shelter. Does anyone own one of these "hybrid" dogs? Do some people just buy them as accessories and not think that they, like all dogs, need lots of attention, walkies and love.

This is from an article I was reading:

Designer dogs, now as trendy in some neighborhoods as Volvo station wagons and Coach bags, are being dumped in numbers that have county officials stumped.
    "They?ve become the newest thing, and people think they?re going to be perfect," said Lisa Wahoff, director of the Franklin County Department of Animal Care and Control. "I truly think people believe they won?t smell like a dog or act like a dog."
    Poodles are a popular choice because they don?t shed; the shelter has seen four of the Labrador retriever-poodle mixes in just the past few weeks. Other popular combos are also typically available for adoption, including "bugs," a Boston terrier-pug mix, and "puggles".

A puggle

Allen Reznik , editor-in-chief of Dog Fancy and Dog World magazines, says "society seems to have become infatuated with labels. Now, the trendy thing is not to have a cocker spaniel mix, but rather a cockapoo or a 'corkie' (cocker-yorkie cross)."

This is a good article, long but interesting

The Great Debate - Designer Dogs Dog Breeding - Dogs Life Articles - Dog Information - Dog Breeders - Dog Training

What do you think?

A*O

I think this can be taken to extremes, but hybrid with a poodle or schnauzer in there has the advantage of not shedding hair. Sounds a trivial concern but believe me, not having every surface in the house covered in dog hair is a HUGE plus. I know a few labradoodles and they are great dogs.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Zee

It's like every breed that becomes the latest things. After 101 dalmations, people bought the cute puppies and found out about the breed after the fact.

I have two goldendoodles- great dogs and the shedding factor is a plus. We refer to them as mutts when people ask what breed.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Thumbs down

I think there are way too many unwanted dogs in pounds and euthanized everyday we need not create more breeds to end up there.. with these "designer dogs" you really have no idea what traits or size you may end up with from which ever breed they have mixed.

Neighbor got a Puggle..was told the maximum size it would be.. paid $200. for it.. well it ended up big and more Beagle than Pug and not so cute..so she GAVE it away.. cause it wasn't designer enough for her. That's the problem IMO.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Elite Member

^Dang.. that's ridiculous- she gave it away? Beagles are not 'big' in my opinion 15" is still a smaller dog

Bogle? Never heard of it, will have to do a search to find a pic. Interesting.

I think the problem is, you now have a lot of "backyard breeders" who are mixing these breeds and calling them all these cute names, when in reality they are just outrageously priced mutts. So of course they have no idea how the dog will turn out.

I think you'd need several generations of these "designer" dogs from reputable breeders before you would get good quality puppies with the desired traits.

Elite Member

I am curious at what point a dog is considered "a mutt" Is it only a mutt if you don't know its parentage?

They are cute -- and the poodle mixes with the non-shed factor are wonderful, but you pay through the nose for these mixes. I know someone who paid $2,500 for a hybrid puppy.

Actually designer breeds(Hybrids) are mutts, very expensive ones, but they are mutts no less!
    However, since they are "very cute" and "trendy" people will pay a large sum of money for them.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Mutt = of mixed breeds

purebred- one breed
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

All dogs are wonderful and I get the idea of some of the crosses (the goldendoodles and labradoodles take the best of both breeds) but, a mutt is a mutt. The pound is filled with all kinds of mixed breeds. It seems silly to me to pay $2000 for a mixed dog when you can get one for about $100 at the local shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda View Post
    I think there are way too many unwanted dogs in pounds and euthanized everyday we need not create more breeds to end up there.. with these "designer dogs" you really have no idea what traits or size you may end up with from which ever breed they have mixed.

Neighbor got a Puggle..was told the maximum size it would be.. paid $200. for it.. well it ended up big and more Beagle than Pug and not so cute..so she GAVE it away.. cause it wasn't designer enough for her. That's the problem IMO.
    I agree. They are all adorable and I would never hurt them but I don't care for the man making of animals. I think nature should run it's course when it comes to breeding.

Do people like the poodle crossed best because they don't shed, or because their kids get such a kick outta saying the word "poo" or a mixture of both?
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    Do people like the poodle crossed best because they don't shed, or because their kids get such a kick outta saying the word "poo" or a mixture of both?
    Probably both!!

From what I've gathered it's a little bit of everything. Standard poodles, which are the ones that are mixed with Labs and Goldens are very smart and quiet dogs...not to mention they don't shed. Then you have the smart, goofy, sweet, high energy lab or golden mixed in. Apparently, it makes for a great dog.

My husband has wanted a schnoodle ever since he started working with one at his job. He loves them and thinks they are the ideal dog.

I have had my heart set on a Eurasier ever since I met one at the park near our apartment. I find them to be very beautiful, smart, and loving.

Pretty much any dog with a sweet temperament and affectionate nature will be well cared for and loved in our home, but we are holding off until we buy a house. Apartment life can be hell for some breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Probably both!!

From what I've gathered it's a little bit of everything. Standard poodles, which are the ones that are mixed with Labs and Goldens are very smart and quiet dogs...not to mention they don't shed. Then you have the smart, goofy, sweet, high energy lab or golden mixed in. Apparently, it makes for a great dog.
    Exactly...poodles are the #2 ranked breed in terms of intelligence (only surpassed in recent years by border collies) and they have nice curly coats that don't shed. And yeah, in theory I guess mixing them with a Golden or Lab would make for the perfect dog.

My problem is..how can you predict which dog is gonna get that perfect mix of both breeds? And what happens to the puppies that don't fit the bill?

And again, I think it just encourages unscrupulous breeders to produce more mutts in hopes of making a quick buck due to the "designer" trend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information