Thread: Housebreaking in the city!

Default Housebreaking in the city!

Do any of you pet owners have any tips? I live on the 7th floor in downtown of a big city. And when I was housebreaking my puppy, she couldn't make it down 7 floors to go to the bathroom, and the elevator is on the opposite end of the building. So she started peeing in the carpeted hallways of the building because she couldnt make it. So obviously that didn't work.

All manner of puppy pads failed, as did those spray that are supposed to attract them to pee on. I tried those doggie litter boxes, but she thinks the pellets are dog food and tries to eat it.

The solution I worked out: she was trained to go to the bathroom on my large cement balcony. And so I've been cleaning it up every since. And she STILL can't make it down all the floors, but at least now she'll go int he elevator (!!!!) or in the parking garage.

Now that she's a year and a half old, I'd like to try to work out another solution, but I dont really know what or how.

Is it harder to re-train an older dog? Do any of you live in similar conditions? What is your solution?

A*O

Unless you are prepared to take her down 7 floors after every meal and several other times a day to walk/pee then the balcony is as good as it's going to get and you'll just have to keep cleaning up - as I am sure you do anyway when you are out and about. There's no other alternative I can think of apart from moving to a more practical location.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Is she small? If so, carry her until you get to the spot where you want her to go potty. Then tell her "Go potty!!" or something like that in a happy voice.

It's not hard to train an older dog. I did it with my rescue dog.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Is she small? If so, carry her until you get to the spot where you want her to go potty. Then tell her "Go potty!!" or something like that in a happy voice.

It's not hard to train an older dog. I did it with my rescue dog.

^^This works. I've done it with my Ermz.

And do not come back inside until the deed is done. You'll need some time and patience with housebreaking. And if you catch your dog having an accident (like peeing in the hallway) you have be firm and scold him/her. That's part of training, too, to teach your pet what's right from wrong and to show you're the boss.
    I've also done the balcony thing but we had a huge ass patio like one so it was more like a little garden area even though it was in a highrise building.

Good luck Cali!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^^That's how I trained Josie. We lived in an apartment when we got her. We were lazy sometimes because puppies pee a lot! We had a huge balcony and would let her pee on it and hose it down. Eventually, I would just rush her down the steps until we hit the grass. She was too big to carry at four months.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has arrived at the balcony-as-a-potty-place solution! My family thinks its insane and gross. But I mop it up and keep it clean.

I have a Basset Hound, she's 70 lbs so there isn't any carrying her. Walking her is frustrating because she thinks its party time, she doesn't associate going outside with going to the bathroom. Sure, she'll stop and pee a bit here and there, but mostly, she's into saying hi to people and other dogs. I'll walk her for 45 min. and she'll come back upstairs and promptly go on the balcony.

Thread Information