Thread: Advice: Cat not acting like himself

Default Advice: Cat not acting like himself

Hello fellow GS board members...just looking for some advice from your great minds.

I have had my cat Opie for almost 10 years now, since he was a kitten, and he is most definitely MY cat. He follows me everywhere I go, greets me when I come home and always has to be sitting somewhere near me (maybe not right next to me...but at the very least in the same room...he is a cat after all )

Anyway, for the past few days he has not been acting like himself. He has become very anti-social, spending most of the day hiding out in the back bedroom. Then suddenly he comes walking into where ever I am meowing very loudly DEMANDING my attention...then I will pet him and he will randomly get up with a start and take off running, like someone lit a fire under his butt, and go back to the bedroom to continue being anti-social...but then at night, he is at my door digging MEOWING for me to let him in. Its like one extreme of behavior to the next....

Besides for just the acting weird, it seems like he is constantly trying to get me to scratch his neck...his normal places that he likes to be petted are behind his ears or on his nose, but now he just seems desparate for me to scratch his neck...

Other than that stuff he seems fine. Hes an indoor-only cat, hes been eating/drinking fine, and the only other animals he comes in contact with are my other two cats and my dog (who are all acting the same as they always do)...the only thing thats been different in the past few days was me giving him his bi-monthly flea medication...but hes had that before, so I dont know why suddenly it would be an issue...

Anyway I just needed some insight on what I could do...am I just being paranoid? A friend suggested I take him to the vet, but I dont know what I would tell them...because he of course is going to act anti-social at the vets, and I would hate to spend that money for them to just write it off as "normal cat behavior"
    Dramatically overdramatic

A*O

Take him to the vet and tell him/her what's been going on. If a cat suddenly starts to act differently or out of character there's something wrong. It's probably nothing too serious (possibly allergic to the flea medication?) but have him checked out.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

is he messing with his ears? my cat had ear mites once and she was always trying to get to her ears, shaking her head etc.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Have you noticed any change in his litter box habits? I had a cat who was prone to urinary tract infections, and she would always let me know by her behavior that something was wrong.

He's trying to tell you something in the only way he knows how. I agree, take him to a vet. At the very least, they can rule out any physical reasons for his odd behavior.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I have had my cat Opie for almost 10 years now OMG! I have an orange tabby close to that age named Opie,too!

I agree with the vet suggestion. Animals can suddenly develop sensitivity to a med they've been taking, and the vet may want to draw blood and take his temperature and look down his throat/in his ears.. I know it can be costly, but it should be no more than $75-$100.

Something is wrong-go!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Well, I have a cat that is very strange. He's anti-social one minute and crawling all over us the next. He will howl like a female in heat during random moments in the middle of the night. He will bite the other cats and try to "mount" them. He's a neutered male. We took him to two vets and did full blood panels on him. Nothing. He's as healthy as can be. The vet said it's a behavioral problem. He'll even go to the bathroom on the dog's bed!!!

Take him to the vet just to be safe

Bronze Member

A 10 y.o. cat should have a senior profile done by the vet - (which is a bit more costly than regular blood work) especially to establish a baseline for when he gets older. The profile checks thryoid function, liver function, kidney, etc - and also for diabetes.

He may have something as simple as a tooth ache, or as someone mentioned ear mites. But a cat who changes his "normal" behavior is trying to alert you that something is wrong with him.

Default Update

I think you were right AO and it may have been an allergic reaction to his flea meds.

I called the vet and told them what was going on, and they suspected the same thing just because of the timing, with my applying his meds and then the odd behavior. They told me to bathe him with liquid detergent to get the flea stuff off of his skin and fur, and then bathe him again with a cat shampoo to make sure that all of the detergent was removed....then they said to keep an eye on him, and if his strange behavior continues they'll schedule an appointment with me to do tests and stuff...

But already even after a few hours his behavior seems almost back to normal...hes not sitting next to me because hes pissed he got a bath, but he isnt being totally anti-social and hanging out in the back bedroom...he also doesnt seem so desperate for me to scratch his neck anymore...I will continue to keep an eye on him of course and schedule an appointment at a later date to find a new flea-prevention route...

I'm glad he's feeling better Haggard. I've never had to bathe a cat before. Was it difficult? Do you have any tips? I guess you'd have to rinse really well so he doesn't ingest detergents when licking himself.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Rinsing really well is definitely a must, because no matter how well you dry them after, they WILL lick themselves when its over.

Because I've had him since he was a baby, he basically lets me do anything I want to him...so with him bathing is pretty easy. He glares and he cries like its the worst thing to ever happen to him EVER, but he doesnt try and scratch me or fight to get out or anything...

Now my other two cats are a different story haha...they will fight and scratch and bite and do whatever they can to get out of the tub....clipping their claws beforehand definitely helps, but theres still no guarantee I'll get away without some sort of wound...

You're lucky he's a big ball of love! I'm pretty sure if I tried to do one of mine I'd need a blood transfusion.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Thread Information