View Poll Results: Would you give a puppy as a gift?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes — Why not share the cute and cuddly love?

0 0%
  • Yes — If I knew the person well enough and knew they could take care of it.

3 8.82%
  • No — The decision to become responsible for a pet is a personal one.

29 85.29%
  • Other

2 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you give someone a puppy as a gift?

Default Would you give someone a puppy as a gift?

In the "Deck the Howls" episode of October Road the sweet but overeager Janet gives her new boyfriend, Eddie, a deeply personal gift: a puppy. Understandably, the gesture shocks Eddie. Janet's intentions were to get him a puppy to replace his beloved dog, Rocket, but Eddie doesn't feel ready to commit to another animal. Of course, the joke is on both of them when they realize it's not a puppy at all, but a wolf pup.
    The scene got me thinking about the holidays, and how many people must adopt and purchase puppies to give to friends and family members as gifts. Knowing what I know about pet ownership and how much attention, veterinary care, and love puppies require I can't fathom surprising someone with one. What do you think?

PetSugar | Girl's Best Friend. - Furry Friends.

I wouldn't

Our previous dog, who was part of our lives for sixteen years, started out as a Christmas present that the receiver didn't want and ditched at the pound when she outgrew the cute baby stage. I can't see doing that.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I would, but only if I knew them really well and they asked for it specifically, like if it was my SO, child, best friend or parent.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Giving pets as gifts is how a lot of them end up in the animal shelters.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

No way. Getting a pet is a personal decision, and loads of responsibility.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

No way. It's a huge responsibility to take on board a pet. Too many people end up getting cute puppies for gifts and once the novelty wears off, they stick them in a shelter because they aren't prepared for the commitment of being a pet owner.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I've been given dogs as gifts a couple times and always thought it was a stupid idea. I'm the sort of person that wants to select a dog for myself, not have one foisted upon me. Both times, I ended up caring for a pet that I didn't particularly feel any kind of bond with. That's not fair to the animal and not fair to the owner. Fortunately, I was able to find good, loving homes for both those dogs, but I felt way guilty about it.

Generally, no. Unless it's for someone you are extremely close to and there has been some discussion about get a pet (dog, cat, fish) and you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they want a pet. Otherwise, it's a terrible idea.

Me, I love anything and get attached to every animal I meet I'm always asking for another dog

A*O

Absolutely not.
    There's a chain of petstores in Oz that has agreed not to sell any animals over the Christmas period precisely because most of these 'gifts' end up abandoned on the freeway or in the local pound where they are subsequently put down.
    I'd never buy an animal from a petstore anyway, but I think it's a great initiative and I will certainly be buying my dog food from this company in future.

Remember: A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Absolutely not.
    There's a chain of petstores in Oz that has agreed not to sell any animals over the Christmas period precisely because most of these 'gifts' end up abandoned on the freeway or in the local pound where they are subsequently put down.
    I'd never buy an animal from a petstore anyway, but I think it's a great initiative and I will certainly be buying my dog food from this company in future.

I totally agree with everything you said.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

No. I mean my husband "gave" me our first kitty around my birthday a few years ago, but it wasn't a surprise, we wanted to adopt a kitty, and he just made it a surprise in terms of me not expecting it that particular day/week/whatever. And of course he's ours, not mine. Generally, it's just a bad idea.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

No, but I'm happy for someone to buy me another dog.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Absolutely not.

Very nice post!!

No I wouldn't.

I had to get my dog put to sleep last month which of course has given a couple of (well meaning) friends the bright idea that a puppy would be the greatest present ever for me. I've had to warn them not to even think about it! Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and one day I will get another one, but it's only been 4 weeks since I lost Taz and I'm still breaking my heart over him. This would not be good timing for me to have another dog.

I think unless you know for certain someone really wants a pet and is responsible enough to care for it throughout it's life, then it's a terrible idea to give one as a gift.

I'll maybe feel more ready to get a new dog in a few months time, just as the pounds start filling up with the unwanted Christmas puppies, so hopefully I'll be able to offer one of them a home.

The person would have to completely and irrefutably responsible and mature enough to raise a dog.

I've seen it happen so many times: mom and dad get kid dog, kid oohs and ahhs, dog shits, kid learns to resent and / or neglect dog, mom and dad either relegate dog to one corner of the yard with a chain and stake, pass the dog off to someone else (most of the time to people who will end up doing the same), or drive to the outskirts of the city and dump the dog.

If I knew any of these things could even remotely take place, I'd never get the dog for a person.... especially during Christmas. It's funny because, since it's the holiday season, kids are more likely to smother the dog with attention when they first get it-- making the dog get attached and feel loved by their new family-- and then once the dog starts barking too much or shitting on mom's antique rug, the treatment of the dog changes-- resulting in confusion, sadness, and seperation anxiety in the dog.

People shouldn't give dogs for the 'ooh, aah, how cute' factor.. they should give them based on their judgement that the recipient would be a good and nurturing owner for the dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information