Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man gets 120 days in jail for abuse of dog

Angry Man gets 120 days in jail for abuse of dog

SOMERSET --

A Pulaski County man whose videotaped assault on a dog outraged animal lovers should spend 120 days in jail, a jury ruled last night.

The jury, which deliberated about 90 minutes after a daylong trial, also set the maximum $500 fine for Ronald Shawn Turner, who is in his early 30s.
    Turner's attorney, Jim Cox, asked District Judge Kathryn Gregory Wood to let Turner stay out of jail on bond until after Christmas while considering whether to appeal. Wood ordered Turner to begin serving the four-month sentence right away, however.
    The case -- unusual because of the videotape of the attack -- caused strong emotions and a great deal of media coverage. It also is being cited as inspiration for a proposal to increase the potential sentence for torturing a dog or cat.
    It is now a misdemeanor for the first offense. The maximum penalty Turner faced on a charge of second-degree cruelty to animals was a year in jail and a $500 fine; a bill filed for the upcoming legislative session would make torturing a dog or cat a felony punishable by one to five years in prison.
    Turner was charged last June after his next-door neighbor videotaped him choking and punching his family dog, a Labrador retriever named Romeo; rolling a doghouse onto him; slamming him against a tree; and lifting him overhead by his feet and slamming him to the ground.
    The dog, which was tied up, was less than a year old at the time.
    The neighbor, Jeff Knabusch, said he began videotaping the attack through a window of his home after his wife, Judy, ran in from the back yard and told him to look. He videotaped the incident because he was fed up with Turner's behavior, Knabusch said.
    "I can't even describe the noise" the dog made when Turner choked it, Judy Knabusch testified.
    The 60-second videotape was the key evidence against Turner. It was disturbing, moving one animal lover to tears in court.
    Dr. Bruce Jasper, a veterinarian who treated the dog after the attack, said Romeo was having difficulty breathing and had pain in his ribs, and probably had a lung injury. He has since recovered, Jasper said.
    Romeo was taken from Turner after the attack.
    Turner testified in his defense yesterday, apologizing and asking for forgiveness.
    He testified that Romeo had bitten him twice earlier and tried to bite him the day of the attack. The dog was barking "uncontrollably" that day; after trying unsuccessfully to discipline the dog with a rolled-up newspaper, Turner said, he snapped.
    "I lost my head. I lost all train of thought," Turner said, becoming emotional. "What I did was inexcusable, and I am ashamed of it."
    Turner said the dog belonged to his wife, so the incident had strained their marriage. He's also endured widespread publicity and ridicule and lost two jobs because of the incident, Turner said.
    Cox urged jurors not to judge Turner harshly for an incident that lasted only about a minute and did not seriously injure the dog. Some things look worse on tape than they really are, Cox said.
    He asked jurors to sentence Turner to the maximum fine of $500, but said jail time was not warranted.
    "He's been punished enough," Cox said.
    But the prosecutor, county Attorney Bill Thompson, said Turner deserved the maximum sentence, calling the attack horrible.
    "He's accepted responsibility today," Thompson said, "because today's the day of reckoning."

Man gets 120 days in jail for abuse of dog

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I cried a little bit when I read this story. People who maliciously abuse helpless animals should be punished for it. I hope he never owns another pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    "He's accepted responsibility today," Thompson said, "because today's the day of reckoning."
    Oh bullshit. This makes me long for public lashings. This asshole clearly needs an outlet for his pathology, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if another dog is ruined by this guy. I hope I'm I'm wrong.

This story has me beyond enraged.

Why do I read these things, now I feel sick. I want to rip off the guy's head, what an evil prick. That poor dog.

Poor dog. That guy is a horrible, pathetic excuse for a human being to have done that to such a poor, innocent animal.

Maybe someone should beat him the way he did his dog and let him experience the misery the dog went through.

I really hope he gets put in a cell with a very large, violent inmate with a soft spot for animals.

Fucker. I'd love for someone to break every bone in his body.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Angry

Unbelievable.. WHEN are they going to make animal abusers PAY for their actions?

It amazes me when something like this happens it makes front page news and the communities are outraged..then they get nothing. It pisses me off, bigtime.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

I almost added the paragraph below to my earlier post in this thread, but then I decided to get the approval of a moderator, as I thought I might come close to skirting the TOS. Since I received permission...

I am so angry over this news post that I'd like your input.

One of my businesses is grant writing (in the U.S.). Each month, I select a recipient for pro-bono services; depending on requests, I may opt to slot recipients within a short period for the rest of '08. This story just did it for me. I'd like to pick *a few* nonprofits that address this kind of abuse. Does anyone have any recommendations, maybe an organization you work for or volunteer for?

I can't read this entire article. This shit burns me up. I seriously, and I really mean this from the bottom of my heart, would gladly take a baseball bat to this man. I'm not even kidding. I don't care if it makes me worse than this asshole. I wish the dog would have torn his throat open.

Where is this poor dog now?? I can't finish the article.

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    I almost added the paragraph below to my earlier post in this thread, but then I decided to get the approval of a moderator, as I thought I might come close to skirting the TOS. Since I received permission...

I am so angry over this news post that I'd like your input.

One of my businesses is grant writing (in the U.S.). Each month, I select a recipient for pro-bono services; depending on requests, I may opt to slot recipients within a short period for the rest of '08. This story just did it for me. I'd like to pick *a few* nonprofits that address this kind of abuse. Does anyone have any recommendations, maybe an organization you work for or volunteer for?
    There are so many organizations. My aunt (who lives in Maryland) found an abandoned kitten that was only a few weeks old. She has a lot of property and people dump animals there, even though it's off a busy road. She found an organization through her vet's office that helps trap, spay, immunize and then release feral cats. They also keep the kittens and adopt them out or (in the case of the kitten my aunt found) nurse them back to health. They even came out and place humane traps for my aunt to help catch the momma cat.
    Last edited by Tati; December 18th, 2007 at 09:30 AM.

I'm not an animal lover, but things like this make me sick. I wish that poor dog had eaten his face.

Hit By Ban Bus!

someone needs to choke him, slam him against a tree, and make him feel the same pain as the poor dog did.

^^ they prolly DID, which is where he got the idea.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Turner said the dog belonged to his wife, so the incident had strained their marriage. He's also endured widespread publicity and ridicule and lost two jobs because of the incident, Turner said.
    At least that's some good news.

Strained their marriage....she should leave his sorry POS ass!

Gee, I wonder why the dog bit him?......this guy should NOT have children. If that is how he reacts to a poor, dumb animal, I cannot imagine how he will deal with a screaming 2-year-old.....terrifying.....

Two words....anger management.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information