Thread: Knut the polar bear celebrates his first birthday at the Berlin Zoo

Default Knut the polar bear celebrates his first birthday at the Berlin Zoo

Germany's favourite polar bear celebrated his first birthday at the Berlin Zoo by gobbling down a fish cake topped with a candle-shaped rolling pin.

Knut's keeper, Thomas Doerflein, brought out the cake loaded with fish, fruit, vegetables and rice on a bed of lettuce.
    As soon as it was placed on the ground in his pen, Knut bolted out of his cave to devour it. After finishing the cake he began chewing on the "candle."
    Rejected by his mother Tosca before being controversially raised by zookeepers, Knut has grown from a 800-gram (1.8 pounds) ball of fur to a gangly bear weighing more than 100 kg (220 pounds). Scroll down for more ...
    After finishing his birthday cake, Knut began to eat the candle-shaped rolling pin

Many happy returns: Crowds gather at the Berlin Zoo to join the celebration

"I'm here because of Knuty's birthday," said Jasmin Sambrano of Caracas, Venezuela, one of a horde of animal lovers who came to help Knut celebrate his big day.
    "I'm here ... especially for the birthday of our very beloved Knut."
    After an animal rights campaigner criticised the zoo's decision to raise Knut by hand in comments interpreted as a call for the bear to be put down, German media and public opinion rallied behind the photogenic bear.

Transformation: Knut has grown from a cuddly cub to his current weight of more than 100 kg (220 pounds)

After his first public appearances with keeper Doerflein in March, Knut mania spawned a CD, a book and hour-long queues at the zoo as visitors from around the world came to see him.

Within a year, officials expect to make plans for him to leave Berlin to mate. Neither of the city's two zoos have a female bear the right age for Knut.

Germany's favourite polar bear celebrates his first birthday at the Berlin Zoo | the Daily Mail

OH, he's soooo cute!! I love little Knut.

Aww, what a precious bear It's nice to see how handsome he's become!

Cool but not as cuddly and adorable as before!

They could have cleaned him for that occasion.

When I went to see Knut, I saw a sad, lonely polar bear and was not pleased.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^That's sad Chilly.

I've been to the Berlin Zoo once, and I thought it was very nice back then. Mind you, I was comparing it to zoos here, which are a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    They could have cleaned him for that occasion.

When I went to see Knut, I saw a sad, lonely polar bear and was not pleased.
    Cleaned him? But he's huge and has claws! I wouldn't go in there!

I heard that they don't plan to keep him and, now that he's old enough, want to find him another zoo where he can have a female companion so hopefully he won't be lonely anymore.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

The zoo is as nice as it gets, but zoos in general are heartbreaking. No, Knut's problem was that seven days a week, 16 hours a day he is yelled at by little children. They opened the zoo until 11pm in the summer time, there were constantly lights on him, cameras on him and people yelling "Knut, Knut" at the top of their lungs.

When I went to see him for the last time in July (work related), Knut was grumpy. He was crying for his keeper and I bet he was begging to be left the hell alone. He kept walking round and round in circles as if to say "What the fuck have I gotten myself into?"

They can't keep him in Berlin and started looking for a place for him right after his birth. they have too many male polar bears already, plus, they hate Knut. Every day when Knut and Dörflein walk past their cage, his dad tries to kill him. It's so sad.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^I agree, most zoos are pretty sad in general. What I like about the two zoos I go to are the vast spaces the animals have and the research they are doing to help the species survive in the wild. At the San Diego Zoo, they have signs up everywhere telling you to use quiet voices around the animals. You can't yell at them or you'll be tossed out!

Thread Information