Thread: Pawtraits of love

Default Pawtraits of love

Britain is a nation of dog lovers with owners frequently lavishing hundreds - and often thousands - of pounds on their pooches.

The latest canine craze is for owners to commission portraits of their beloved pets to hang in their houses.
    Here EIMEAR O'HAGAN speaks to six devoted dog owners who did just that.

JANET WATSON, 49, is a part-time book-keeper and lives in Rugby, Warwickshire, with her partner Ian, 49, an electrical contractor, and their seven border collies. Scroll down for more...
    Priceless: Janet Watson with two of her seven border collies

She says: "Commissioning dog portraits has become something of a tradition in my house.
    "I don't have any children so my dogs have a very special position in my family.
    "People might say I'm mad to have spent around £1,500 on dog portraits over the years, but they're worth every penny to me."

BARBARA GOTT, 62, is a medical secretary and lives in Keighley, West Yorkshire, with her lhasa apso, Benji, 14. She says: Scroll down for more...
    Hopelessly devoted: Barbara Gott with Benji

"We spent a few hours at the portrait artist's house so she could get to know Benji and take photos of him in different poses.
    "It cost £100. Benji is my best friend. I'm so happy that I will have such a wonderful reminder of him when he passes away.'"

KAREN SAUNDERS, 45, is a chartered surveyor and lives in Cirencester, Gloucestershire, with her fiance Richard, 45, the MD of an insurance software company, her daughters Charlotte, 19, Emily, 16, and their great dane, Arthur. She says:
    Scroll down for more...
    Softie: Karen Saunders with her great dane Arthur

"Arthur measures seven feet from nose to tail. People can be intimidated by his size but he's a softie.
    "The portrait cost £500 and is the best present I've ever had. People have family portraits done, and, to us, this is no different."
    JACKIE GARRATT, 34, a foster carer, lives in Dishforth, North Yorkshire, with her husband Dave, 53, a driving instructor, their border collies Dexter and Millie, and lurcher Jed. She says: Scroll down for more...
    Marvellous: Jackie Garrat with border collie Dexter

"My husband struggles when it comes to buying Christmas presents. But last year he surprised me with a marvellous colour portrait of Dexter.
    "The portrait cost £250 including the frame. Dexter came to us two years ago as a rescue puppy.
    "He's an integral member of our family, and his portrait is a recognition of the joy he brings us."

DEBBIE THOMAS, 36, is a customer services adviser and lives in Aldbourne, Wiltshire, with her partner Ian, 50, and their two border collies, Molly and Chaz. She says: Scroll down for more...
    Special: Debbie Thomas with Molly and Chaz

"As I don't have children I lavish all my love on Molly and Chaz. I had always been keen to have a painting of the dogs, and last year Ian and I saw a stand advertising dog portraits at Crufts.
    "A framed portrait cost £500. I know people might think we're bonkers for spending so much on a dog portrait, but it's so much more special than a photo because you know a lot of time has gone into it and it captures my dogs' personalities perfectly."

LIZ KRETSCHMER, 28, is a psychiatric nursing assistant and lives in Cwmbran, Wales, with her three boxers, Ellie, Tara and Tammy. She says: Scroll down for more...
    Spoiled rotten: Liz Kretschmer with boxer Tara

"I spoil my dogs rotten - they have beds in the living room and in my bedroom but they all prefer to sleep on my bed, with me squeezed in at the edge. "The portraits remind me of how much I love my dogs."

Pawtraits of love: The dedicated owners who paid hundreds to immortalise their pets for ever | the Daily Mail

Mine would have to be hog-tied first, ruining the picture!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Lord help me, but if I had the money I'd probably commission portraits--excuse me, PAWtraits--of my baby too!

Shit, I've thought about buying my dog an airplane seat if they'd let me (he's too big to go into one of those dog carry-on bags, or else I'd do that too.)

Yep, I'd be "that person."

I have a portrait of my dog that died, it's special to me.

I'd like one done of my current dogs, I think it's sweet.

anyone else notice that the dogs and owners resemble each other lol. i think it is cute.

My deceased partner was a painter(not by profession of course)but still pretty good. He did a wonderful oil painting of my parents dog. It has been hanging in their living room for years. The dog died early this fall..and I am sooo glad he did that wonderful painting and they have it for remembrance.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

That boxer was prettied up a bit!
    You know, if you get a picture of your pet & go to Kodak or Shutterfly, you can get it printed on canvas for about $80-$150 in sizes like 16X20 to 24X36. It would look like a portrait, but again-it would be a amazing if I could get a really good shot!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I don't think that I would have that done-I'm not crazy about portraits in general, and these seem a bit tacky.

I prefer photos of pets-the more candid the better. My doggie passed two years ago, and I treasure all of his photos.

Janet Watson and Debbie Thomas were swindled.... the paintings of their dogs are the same.

Thread Information