Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New web site: Adopt this dog or he will die

Default New web site: Adopt this dog or he will die

New Web site: Adopt this dog or he will die
    By Michael Erman
    Wed Sep 26, 2007

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A new Web site is seeking to tug more forcefully on the heart strings of people who might adopt abandoned dogs by publicizing how much time is left before an animal is killed if a home has not been found.

The activists behind www.dogsindanger.com believe theirs is the first Web site to take the approach. They hope that highlighting the fact many unadopted dogs are euthanized by shelters with scarce space will spur people to take them in.

"This is happening ... in our country, in our back yard," said Alex Aliksanyan of The Buddy Fund, the group behind the site. "It's been kept underneath a blanket of niceness and sweetness. So we said, 'Lets put the truth in front of the consumer -- either do something about it, or at least realize you're a partner."'

The site will also feature a memorial with names, photos and dates that euthanized dogs died.

The American Humane Association estimates that up to 3 million dogs are euthanized in U.S. shelters annually.

Aliksanyan stressed that the site is not a place for parents to look for dogs with their children.

"It's not a happy site with puppies running around. It's not meant to be that," he said. "We're taking it the other way around. We're saying these pets are going to die. Look at their faces."
    New Web site: Adopt this dog or he will die - Yahoo! News
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's about time. This makes me depressed. When I was a kid it was my ambition to live on a farm and take in stray animals and give them a home. Too bad it's unrealistic and un-doable.

This is really a good thing-some dogs are bound to be saved! I'm calling my cousin in Georgia!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

3 million? Wow, that makes me sick!

If we work together we can save them all

This makes me upset. I'd adopt them all if I could.

Even more cats die than dogs. Many, many more. I think this kind of site is a great idea. Something similar was done in a newspaper ad campaign around here a few years back and it worked for a while.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung View Post
    This makes me upset. I'd adopt them all if I could.
    Same here.

I would adopt more if I could. I just adopted a golden retriever to add to my 2 cats and min dachshund and my house is over loaded. I wish I lived on a ranch, then I could do more.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    It's about time. This makes me depressed. When I was a kid it was my ambition to live on a farm and take in stray animals and give them a home. Too bad it's unrealistic and un-doable.
    I so wish I could do that. Get a big property and make a home for many, many animals. My aunt sort of does this with cats...she lives in the country and 'adopts' all strays that come her way. Her daughter often brings kitties over from the humane shelter that she has saved (she lives in a tiny house in the city so she can't keep them herself but knows her mom won't turn them away ). My aunt has got scads of cats all over her property and she is often the butt of family jokes...but I love her for it. Especially when she calls to tell me of the latest addition from the shelter.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Hit By Ban Bus!

That's a nice story, Algernon. I admit I still court the idea in my head when this issue comes up. I think it could still happen!

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I'd love to have a huge animal sanctuary for older or disabled animals that aren't likely to get adopted. I'd call it Heaven's Gate Animal Sanctuary and they could all just live there until they passed on.

That is so heartbreaking. I'm definitely going to use that site the next time I adopt an animal and refer all of my friends and family to it.

so how do you pick which one to save, and how to you NOT feel guilty about the ones you passed over?

I couldn't do that, just pick and choose.. i can't even watch those horrible humane society commercials or telethons
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

When I worked for the APA it was just so sad that alot of the older animals that came in, that were amazing pets, never got adopted. I saw many cats who belonged to the elderly that passed away, they never got adopted even though they were so lovely, and they had to be euthanized. Every person would wander right over to the kittens. Shame too, because with the older cats you knew their temperament and how they reacted with kids and animals already, and they would make excellent companions. Even thinking about it now makes me want to cry.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^^I know. It seems a lot of people make themselves feel better about dumping their pets by fantasizing that they will be adopted. What utter crap.

I have adopted several older pets and they make great pets -- there is sometimes an adaptation period, but that is normal -- and they are sooooo grateful and loving. I have made provisions for my pets if I die -- that is really the smart thing to do if they are a member of your family and you are behaving responsibly toward them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information