Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here own a Ragdoll cat?

Default Does anyone here own a Ragdoll cat?

I'm curious because I am seriously thinking about adopting one. They are supposed to be very social and affectionate cats. And they are gorgeous

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My cousin has one and it is an amazing cat. It will just lay in your arms and snuggle like no other cat I've seen. I never even knew about 'ragdoll' cats until hers. It was actually a stray.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I wanted one but could'nt one which wasn't worth an entire month of salary

I own a Birman cat, I heard they were quite similar in character, and mine really is a cutee !
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    I wanted one but could'nt one which wasn't worth an entire month of salary

I own a Birman cat, I heard they were quite similar in character, and mine really is a cutee !
    I know, over here you would pay a minimum of about 600euros (800USD) for a ragdoll with a pedigree. I am saving for one right now. That will also be a good test to see if i'm really serious about getting one. LOL

I'm planning on going to a cat-show in november to see what ragdolls look like in real life, I have only seen pictures and videos of them.

Birman cats are beautiful. What color is yours?

I love my cat, but honestly, I couldn't see me paying that kind of money for a cat...any animal for that matter...

Hit By Ban Bus!

I once knew a woman a few years ago who had two Ragdolls. One was the Siamese looking kind, and the other was pure black, and they were littermates. They were amazing cats. Very affectionate and well-behaved. I say go for it! Oh, and she got them from the POUND, can you believe that? They were absolutely gorgeous. She had only wanted one cat, but when she saw the blackie, she rescued it because it had would probably have been there a while, or not adopted at all, according to the people working there.
    Last edited by Mira; September 23rd, 2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: clarification at end

Gold Member

Aww Grimm that pic is so cute. Tiggle, I'd never heard of ragdoll cat till I clicked this thread. They sound cool thoughh, good luck saving up.

I dont have a ragdoll cat, but I do have a norwegian forest cat which are very similar in looks and size...hes the SWEETEST cat ever. Heres a pic of him in the dryer
    Dramatically overdramatic

Gold Member

^ He looks so cute.

Haggard, your cat is the cutest thing! His hair looks so soft and pretty. What's his name?

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I once knew a woman a few years ago who had two Ragdolls. One was the Siamese looking kind, and the other was pure black, and they were littermates. They were amazing cats. Very affectionate and well-behaved. I say go for it! Oh, and she got them from the POUND, can you believe that? They were absolutely gorgeous. She had only wanted one cat, but when she saw the blackie, she rescued it because it had would probably have been there a while, or not adopted at all, according to the people working there.
    Black cats and dogs are always last to be adopted, and most often put to death. I guess people are still superstitious, but the last pound cat I adopted was black simply for that reason.

Speaking of ragdolls, they are gorgeous, but I prefer cats with a bit more spunk and personality. Most ragdolls literally lay around all day -- even more than other cats! -- are so mellow they can't really defend themselves outside, and just generally behave like marshmellows. Just not my kind of cat, but a lot of people like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    Haggard, your cat is the cutest thing! His hair looks so soft and pretty. What's his name?
    His name is potsie. All of my animals names have a theme lol
    Dramatically overdramatic

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Black cats and dogs are always last to be adopted, and most often put to death.
    I love black fur dogs. They are gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Black cats and dogs are always last to be adopted, and most often put to death. I guess people are still superstitious, but the last pound cat I adopted was black simply for that reason.
    Off on a tangent about this...

We lost our beautiful black cat almost 3 years ago. It was hit on the road (we don't live on a busy street at all), and our neighbors had called animal care and control to pick her up before we even got home so that we wouldn't have to see the horror of it. They also baked us a yummy chocolate cake and were so concerned about us. They told us they had seen it happen, and that one of the renters down the street who was known for peeling out like a maniac had run her over without even stopping.

Wellllll.....fast foward almost three years...

The little girl who sometimes lives in our neighbors house (the house belongs to an old woman with many grown children who come and go and have many children of their own) was at our house visiting. Out of the blue, she brings up Spot (our cat). She says "I am not supposed to tell you this, but when your cat died, my cousin's girlfriend is the one who ran over her. She hit her on purpose because she hates black cats." My face was like this: I blew it off and said she didn't need to spin tales like that, but she started to protest and then was quiet. I honestly think she was telling the truth and I felt sick to my stomach. I suppose some people really could be THAT superstitious.

For the record, the said neighbors are sooooo wonderful and they were probably horrified enough by what this girlfriend did that they didn't tell us the truth. After the little girl (she is 10 so old enough to remember something like that) told me that I couldn't get it off my mind and it still bothers me. That cat was so beloved to us, we were completely devestated by her death and do not let our cats out at all anymore. Ugh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information