Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My brother's girlfriend is clever; how she got her dog

Default My brother's girlfriend is clever; how she got her dog

My brother is 25, has a 19 year old girlfriend, they live together and for months she's been pestering him to get a dog. My brother loves them but he didn't think they'd have much time for it since they both work, and he already has 2 cats. Since its his house, and he lived in it long before he met her and she moved out of her parents house to live with him, he pretty much makes the rules. Knowing he'd put his foot down and he'd be pissed if she went and bought a dog anyway, she went and bought the dog she wanted- a pomeranian) and put it in their backyard. When he got home, he went outside and saw this dog- the girlfriend acted like she knew nothing about it, and he believed her. Thinking it was a lost dog, he went around to the neighbours and asked if the dog belonged to them. Of course everyone said No, so the girlfriend says 'he must be lost, we'll put an ad in the paper'. 3 weeks later my brother sees how much his girlfriend loves it, and he's getting fond of it also. The dog now has a name that the girlfriend has given him, and of course, there's no owner coming to get it. My brother would never give it to a shelter and the girlfriend knows it. Yes, women are clever!

This girl sounds like trouble... conniving and manipulative.

Very crafty, but I hope she doesn't trick him about anything else, like a baby or something!

I don't think I'd date a man who didn't want a dog!

Gold Member

I think it was very manipulative. But your brother drover her to it by being so inflexible. They probably deserve each other.

i really hate that he has the attitude that because he bought the house it is his and he makes the rules. It's her home as well and she should have a say in things.

Although he probably has a good point about t being unfair to have a dog when you can't spend much time with it.

I hope things work out for them but this is a terrible start. Relationships are hard work as it is without telling unnecessary lies.

Relationships are hard enough without having the attitude it is mine. When you together things become "ours."

I agree with you Honey I wouldn't get serious about a man that didn't want a dog.

You are a good sister in keeping out of it. I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut if my brother had been manipulated in this way. I hope it doesn't come back to bite you in that she manipulates him in other ways and you wished you would have told him.

I would have more respect for the girlfriend if she just stood up to him and said she is getting a dog and did it.

She's only 19, hopefully she will grow out of her spoilt little ways. I also hope this is a one-off and last trick she pulls on your brother

He's stupid, thats his problem. But he does very well for someone his age and my parents are so proud of him because he works hard and doesn't drink alot, doesn't go out 'raging' as they say.

They have internet, cable tv, he buys the food, pays the bills, she doesn't pay for anything so in one way he has got a right to say 'yay or nay' to her. And if she does buy something its hers. Like drinks or chocolate- my brother aint allowed to touch it. But what he buys and puts in the fridge is a free-for-all.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    I don't think I'd date a man who didn't want a dog!
    Nor would I! Especially if he wanted a cat instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2007
    You are a good sister in keeping out of it
    I'd never say anything. Plus my mum praised her behaviour and one of my downfalls is that her opinion is often mine also- what she says i feel obligated to agree with.

^^It doesn't sound like a keeper, to be honest.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung View Post
    Plus my mum praised her behaviour and one of my downfalls is that her opinion is often mine also- what she says i feel obligated to agree with.
    You feel obligated to agree with her? Even when you disagree on something?

I also think using an animal this way is irresponsible -- it sounds like that dog could join millions of other doomed dogs at the pound some day soon.

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung View Post

Nor would I! Especially if he wanted a cat instead.
    Hah! That'd be a disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by sweet and sexy View Post
    You feel obligated to agree with her? Even when you disagree on something?
    I have my own opinions but if i voice them around her she makes my life miserable. In her opinion- 'She knows everything, i know nothing'. 'The mother always knows better than the daughter' blah blah.

Gold Member

^ I understand; I just openly argue with my mom. I disagree with her on many many things. We get along well though, really well. I'm 33 though, so that makes it different too.

that is crafty

honestly, small dogs are easier to take care of, thats why i got a small dog. They dont eat as much, dont need as much excersice (like you still have to walk them and play with them of course) but pretty much IMO they are lower maintenance. Lots of people who work have dogs.

That girl sounds like trouble.

Although, as others have said, their arrangement sounds stupid, too. You get to live in my house, and in return I get to lay out the rules. Not what I would consider a grown up relationship.

You know what you should do? Get a friend of yours to call them and claim he was the owner just to scare her.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

she would be buying her own food and not eating mine, if she was buying things I wasnt allowed to touch. hecks no. get a job and feed yourself. sorry that was my rant for the day.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information