Thread: My dog and her bone....

Default My dog and her bone....

I have a little Havanese dog and she is about the sweetest thing in the world. Unfortunately, whenever she is given a bone with meat on it, she will not let you come near her and will bite your hand off if you try. It's so weird because for her it's COMPLETELY out of character. The second the bone is gone, she's sweet as can be.
    I don't even try to take her bone away, yesterday, I was just petting/scratching her while she was chewing her bone by the couch and she growled at me and then bit me (not hard enough to break skin or anything, but still).

Is this normal for all dogs? I haven't been a dog owner for too terribly long and she doesn't get bones often. Weird thing is she doesn't do this with anything else, no other food, treat or toy.

I'm kind of worried and I think I'm going to stop giving her bones because I have a cat too, who is very curious.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

No-this is called food guarding & should not be allowed. Read some dog books!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm going to have to make a trip to the library, I guess. I never had any dogs when I was growing up and I just "inherited" Cookie when I moved in with my BF. It's just so odd because she really doesn't have any other behavioral problems.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by WitchHazelEyed View Post
    I have a little Havanese dog and she is about the sweetest thing in the world. Unfortunately, whenever she is given a bone with meat on it, she will not let you come near her and will bite your hand off if you try. It's so weird because for her it's COMPLETELY out of character. The second the bone is gone, she's sweet as can be.
    I don't even try to take her bone away, yesterday, I was just petting/scratching her while she was chewing her bone by the couch and she growled at me and then bit me (not hard enough to break skin or anything, but still).

Is this normal for all dogs? I haven't been a dog owner for too terribly long and she doesn't get bones often. Weird thing is she doesn't do this with anything else, no other food, treat or toy.

I'm kind of worried and I think I'm going to stop giving her bones because I have a cat too, who is very curious.

This should help alittle

Food Guarding - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Thats a bad dominance issue and you need to knock her down a number of pegs. Do NOT let her growl, snap or bite you if she has a bone.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thanks for the info, guys. It's been very helpful

Freddie, My puppy, had been getting a bit grumpy with his bones..a bit growly.

What I did was sit next to him, not touch him at all.

Then, next day or time he has a bone I would stroke him, not his face area though or he got abit growly.

Then, I would start stroking his head and face area too, he didn't make a sound and seemed much more relaxed.

My dog went through the same thing. She's not bad with anything but bones. She'll growl but not snap. The cats go near her and she puts up a fuss but that's about all. Sometimes she does it and other times she doesn't. I'm sure you'll work it out

I had a 55 lb bitch that liked to hump my leg. If I didn't let her she'd get real pissy with me and growl. When I'd finally got her off my leg she'd sit on the floor looking over her shoulder giving me evil looks before she turned her nose up at me.

Thread Information