Thread: Deaf cat

Default Deaf cat

Today I realised that my cat is almost completely deaf or at least very hard of hearing due to old age (16 years old). I was calling for her and she had no idea until I actually got close enough to touch her. My father has been telling me for a long time that he thought she can't hear much and it turns out he was right...

Has anyone had to deal with this before? She seems to be coping with everything pretty well, do you think there is anything I should watch for?

My poor baby...

Aww....our pets aren't immune to the ravages of old age either. I would suggest you keep her inside since she won't be able to hear her predators approaching (dogs, etc). She may begin to show signs of arthritis at some point so be sure to have a nice warm place for her to lounge. If she is otherwise healthy, it is possible to have her for many more years to come.
    Playful~

She never wants to go outside now anyway so I don't think she'll be in any danger. She doesn't jump on things as easily as she did before but it really doesn't look like she has arthritis. She seems ok as far as everything else is concerned, really.

She is the bestest kitty in the world. I want to have her around for many years to come.

My parents' cat went deaf at about that same age. As long as she is safe and physically comfortable, animals tend to be pretty content, not likely to be freaked or stressed over the change. I have an elderly cat myself, whom I LOVE to the point of pathology, and I know how hard it is to deal with the decline. Just hoping that the inevitable comes quickly and peacefully when it's time.

My cat Taffy, is seventeen years old. I'm experiencing the same thing as you. Sometimes she can hear me and other times she can't - to get her attention I might have to go all the way up to her and tap her on the back (which frightens the poor love ).
    Unfortunately, from what I've been told by friends, there is not a lot I can do about her hearing loss. She's seeing the vet next week - if he suggests any tips in dealing with hearing loss, I'll let you know.

I can only suggest you keep an eye on her and make sure she has a bell, so you can locate her when she isn't responding to your call. If she starts to try and scratch at her ears, it may be infection so take her to the vet.
    ssabmud

Two of my cats went deaf in their later years. They can still lead a normal life. Like others said, try not to "sneak up" on your cat, stomp if you can cause they can feel vibrations. I figured out that if I signalled my cat by turning a light off and on she would notice me and respond. My vet told me to keep on talking to them like you always did, especially if they are sitting on you cause they can feel the vibrations of that too. Just give your cat more attention and love and she'll be fine.

If yours is an outside cat, it's best to keep her inside cause she won't hear cars or dogs etc.

my mom in laws cat is deaf, has been for 3 yrs (he's 15). he's always done what he wants anyway, so its no different now. but if she really wants him, she bangs my father in laws cane on the floor and he comes running
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I have a dog who was born Deaf the only problem we've had is making sure he sees us he doesn't like being snuck up on and we have to watch him close to make sure he doesn't get off his runner and into the road or attacked by another animal. Other than that he is your run of the mill happy go lucky dog
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Same thing is happening to one of my kitties. She just turned 15 and is a bit deaf. I thought maybe she was going deaf because her meow is quite loud, and almost unbearable at times Just kidding, she's old and allowed to do whatever she wants. If she sleeping and I call her, she doesn't pay attention. She also doesn't hear the cat food cans snapping open anymore. I have to show her the can as I open it, then she comes running. She gets her senior exam at the vet every year now. Her kidneys are showing the very early signs of failure, but so early that we can control it by diet and feeding her mostly wet food. She's cute

Thread Information