Thread: Tips for keeping food separate?

Default Tips for keeping food separate?

So I have a new puppy, but I am also the proud owner of 3 cats...which means 3 bowls of one type of food, and then 1 bowl of puppy food.

Since my cats are jerks and like anything that ISNT their own food, I keep catching them trying to sneak bites of the puppy food, and I also keep catching the puppy trying to eat the kitty food...

I've temporarily solved this problem by taking all the dishes away and putting the bowls down at different times throughout the day so they can eat...which doesnt really seem to be working since none of them want to eat at the same time

Any tips or tricks for keeping them from eating each others food? The only solutions I can think of would limit access to all of them all at once...
    Dramatically overdramatic

Maybe have them eat in 2 different areas-and be firm about this! The puppy mustn't do kitty food. And don't worry-when they get hungry & realize it isn't going to around all day, they will get with the program!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Maybe have them eat in 2 different areas-and be firm about this! The puppy mustn't do kitty food. And don't worry-when they get hungry & realize it isn't going to around all day, they will get with the program!
    It's only a problem if he's eating alot, the only difference is that cat food has a higher protein ratio than dog food.

But it is a problem if the kitties eat the dog food instead of their own. There is a certain enzyme the cats either do or don't have (SVZ probably knows the answer) and they must have cat food.
    Playful~

SVZ

I think it's taurine? I remember reading this somewhere...it's in basically all meats though

That was it...found this on a cat nutrition website. I guess they require more than what is normally found in the meat~

Taurine
    Taurine is an amino acid that can be readily produced by the human body, however, cats need a dietary source of taurine for good health. In a 1974 study, it was found that a diet deficient in taurine contributed toward retinal degeneration in cats. Taurine deficiency can also cause a heart disease called dilated cardiomyopathy. For several decades cat food manufacturers have added taurine to cat food.
    Playful~

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    It's only a problem if he's eating alot, the only difference is that cat food has a higher protein ratio than dog food.
    I thought cats had to have a lot of protein & it was bad for puppy kidneys? I may be wrong-just a vague recollection...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Put the cat food up somewhere, on a table, washing machine, or cabinet, or middle closet shelf with the door open. They will be able to access it easily, and unless you dog is very tall, he/she will not be able to figure it out. I've done this, it works quite well...
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Reptillycus View Post
    Put the cat food up somewhere, on a table, washing machine, or cabinet, or middle closet shelf with the door open. They will be able to access it easily, and unless you dog is very tall, he/she will not be able to figure it out. I've done this, it works quite well...
    Gets my vote!

Gold Member

You are definately going to have to teach the cat not to steal the puppy's food. I had the opposite problem. My chihuahua was bullying the cat to get at her food. In the end I had to feed them all twice a day at the same time. They all have their own eating areas and when they are done I clean up after them.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Thread Information