Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I lost my best friend last week

Bronze Member

Default I lost my best friend last week

Last Friday I had to put my 16 year old cat, Buddie, down......It was the hardest decision and it broke my heart. It happened so fast, Wednesday night he had trouble breathing, and after spending $800+ to try and treat him, he was gone by Friday afternoon. I said good bye and stayed with him, and told him what a good boy he had been all these years..........I miss him so much

I still have a 14 year old cat, but our local shelter is so overwhelmed with cats/kittens, that I took a ride over there, and lo and behold, there was a cat there that looked exactly like Buddie. So after they checked my vet references, I took him home! He is the sweetest guy ever............I have to introduce him to my 14 year old, Rosie, any suggestions for a smooth transition? Its been so many years since I had to introduce cats to each other, and I have never introduced adult cat to adult cat. Wish me luck!

Awww, honey, I am so sorry. I choked up reading this. I have a 10 year old cat and I DREAD the day something happens to her.
    Good luck with the two meeting.

Honey I just had to have a little weep with you-that is so hard!
    I am so glad you have found a new kittie already-one looking for a home just like yours. Must have been fate! How wise of you to get going again! Don't worry about Rosie-as soon as she sees you love her too-make that best with cats!-both will do fine. How old is the New Person and what will you call him or was he already named?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Bronze Member

I was told that he is approximately 3, and his name is Bustopher Jones - the shelter gave him that name, and I actually like the name (my mom's maiden name was Jones), it really suits him.

What a cute name.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    I was told that he is approximately 3, and his name is Bustopher Jones - the shelter gave him that name, and I actually like the name (my mom's maiden name was Jones), it really suits him.

Laugh out loud kinda name-I LOVE it! Yep-he was you cat ,waiting all along!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

((((Ellie))))) Sorry to hear that news about your poor cat. I know, I know......

As for introducing the adults cats to eachother, my advice would be to (if at all possible) put the new cat in a room of its own, a spare room, bathroom whatever.

Your present cat will be able to smell/hear him and gradually get used to his presence. Keep him there for a week or so if you can. Cuddle both cats separately (and alone). Each cat will get used to smelling the other on their mummy and start to see the smell as a good thing.

It takes time. The slower you can do it, the better. NEVER force cats to "make friends". It can't be done and in fact can do more harm than good.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I'm so sorry for your cat - much luck with the new one!

I am deeply sorry for your loss

I'm sorry you lost your beloved cat. I hope your new cat helps your heart heal!

Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss. I had to go through this four times in the past 8 years. It's so heartbreaking. I'm so glad you opened your heart to a new friend that was in need of a home

Gold Member

Oh Ellie I am so sorry. Pets are more than our friends they are important members of our family that we are usually closer to than our siblings.

You are such a kind and loving person to bring another cat into your family. I hope it works out well for you as you deserve it.

Ellie...I'll shed a tear or 2 with you. As everyone has posted, they are far more than pets. They're our furry children. Sometimes I feel as I am the last person that should have pets. I can't bear the loss when it's time to say good-bye and have grieved horribly each and every time throughout the years.

Give ole Bustie (or will that be BJ ) a gentle hug and kiss from all of us. I'm sure you will be the best mom he could have hoped for.

Much love~
    Playful~

Bronze Member

First, I would like to say thank you for your kind words. I totally knew the people on this board would understand about my loss. When it happened, I didn't think I could put it into words without sounding like a total "loser". I gotta tell you, that cat meant everything to me......he got me through some bad times, and gave me a reason for getting up in the a.m. when I didn't think I could. I would have paid any amount of money to buy some more time with him. I was not ready to let go, and I didn't want to. The hardest part, was his senior blood profile was so good for a cat his age, that I honestly thought we could beat his illness. When I looked into his eyes, and he looked at me, I knew I had to love him enough to let him go.........I sincerely have not cried like that since I lost my mother 14 years ago. I had a private cremation done......I was not sure what to do, but I knew he needed to be with me.

So, I pretty much said....that's it! No more animals! I can't do this.
    Then a very wise friend said to me.....so you think its better for a cat like Bustopher to sit in a shelter, and have no family, just sit in a cage? Or do you think its better, since he is already here to give him the home and love you can provide. It made me cry..........I am sincerely not trying to replace Buddie with a look a like cat, but I can and will give him the love and home he deserves. I can never replace Bud.........but I can make room in my heart for a homeless animal right? I think I did the right thing..........I am crying just writing this.

Anyway, on a good note, I have kept Buster in my bedroom with a liter box, and his water/dry food/wet food for the past several days.
    I let him out today to wander around the house. Rosie was sleeping on the kitchen chair, and he walked into the kitchen, Rose picked up her head and looked at him, and he looked at her, and Rose put her head down and went back to sleep. I swear, she looked at him and thought, CRAP Bud's back! He turned around with a swish of his tail and went back to the bedroom for a nap. No fur was a flying today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Rosie was sleeping on the kitchen chair, and he walked into the kitchen, Rose picked up her head and looked at him, and he looked at her, and Rose put her head down and went back to sleep. I swear, she looked at him and thought, CRAP Bud's back! He turned around with a swish of his tail and went back to the bedroom for a nap. No fur was a flying today.
    ...and in her wise ways she could have realized Mom AND Buster both had been so sad and you were both lucky to have found one another. Rose knows from experience~
    Playful~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information