Thread: WARNING! Raisins/Grapes Can Kill Your Dog

A*O

Default WARNING! Raisins/Grapes Can Kill Your Dog

Written by:
    Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic
    Danville , Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney
    function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to
    euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic
    Danville , Ohio
    Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them. You can check the accuracy of this information at Urban Legends Reference Pages
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thanks for posting this info

We have a very overweight Lab and have been feeding her fresh fruits and veggies as treats and adding them to her meals to help her lose weight. Our vet told us to avoid raisins, grapes, onions and macadamia nuts! Other nuts are fine, but not macadamia.

SVZ

Garlic and onions can too

Oh My God! A*O, this is horrible! I had never heard this before, and it freaks me out. I have actually, in the past, given my beagle, Earl, a few grapes out of the bunch i was eating. He doesn't eat them, but he loves tossing, rolling, chasing, etc. anything round. I am so lucky he didn't eat them. I don't know what i'd do if something happened to him. I'm definitely going to spread the word. Thanx A*O for letting us know.

^ive done the same thing...she never ate them either...just played with it..thanks A*O!
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I tacked up a list on the fridge of all the toxic doggie foods. Just to make sure I never ever forget.

Silver Member

weird, my aunt just told me this last night, i think my puppy ate a raisin last night, is one enough to kill?

No, one should be fine

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

ugh, thats scary!

thanks for posting this......my dogs (I have 3 small ones) have all eaten grapes before though and been fine (luckily). At the time I cut them in half because I didn't want them to choke on them, and I only gave it to them because they were barking and jumping up on me after I bought the grapes.....I thought "oh well couldn't hurt" I'll be more careful now. They only had like two each though....

Thread Information