Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dogs name

Default A dogs name

Im going to get a dog in the next few months. I want him to come from the dog pound, Im not going for any reason in the world to buy one when there are so many waiting for help and affection.

I have no concerns about the sex, the only thing I know is that I am ok for small ones. My research is on the name; I like special names, slightly unusual and a bit fashionable (yes, I said fashionable!) b/c I am not very into the typical dog name, although I find some very funny.

Any suggestions for a nice lovely name?
    PS: would you like to post photos of your pet?
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

Really, the pet its self will almost hand you its name! You might mull over names, but keep an open mind. My big dog is very black and dignified, so: Bogey. One lady I know named her dog "Bunny Rabbit" shortened to "Buni". Another has a dog with a circle around his eye, so Shiner. I know doggies named Winston,Homer,Sophie,Hercules and Zeus. Everyone looks just like that name!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

its hard to decide on a dogs name before you get it, the dogs personality will help you decide on the name...we know a Caeser, Zorro, Cleo (Cleopatra), Sadie, Molly, Cali, Sheeba, Hemi, Jasper, Howie, Sam, Benjamin, Hunter, Cookie, Wolf, Ebeneezer (sp?), Emmitt, Mandy, Sugar, Hellion, Caramel, Allie

My dog is named Hemi, shes a female black lab...we never had a female dog before and i was all worried she wouldnt want to play as much as males, or that she would act all girly...holy shit was i wrong! Hemi fits her perfectly...she beats up on all our other dogs when they play, shes half their size and they let her do whatever she wants to them, steals their toys...rolls in the mud, loves to swim...my mom says the only thing female about her is the way she pees!!

let us know when you get him/her and you must post a pic!
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think you have to find the dog first, then let a name just come to you after you've spent some time with it, getting to know each other. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes a bit more difficult. The pets I've had in recent years were always named by my kids... lots of movie characters lol. For instance, we had a Siamese cat named "Whitey" from some Disney movie. We also had a little garter snake named Basil.

My dad got a dog from the Humane Society years ago... he named him Charlie. We always wondered what his name was before that, and whether he liked his new name. I know for sure he loved his new life... he'd been abused. You couldn't even pick up a broom in his presence. He died very very happy though. I'm glad you're doing this! Good Luck!

My dogs names over the years.. Mindy,Maisy, Sadie, Frazier, Daphne

had a cat named Hobie.. Loved that name

I know dogs named, George ( my fav, big floppy german shepherd), Harley, Rawhead, Kira, Abigail, Bruiser, Cyrus, Queenie, Zena, Zeus, Orion, Peanut, Snoopy, Max, Bandit, Megan, Dylan, Chacha, Pugsley, Daisy.

A movie dog name I always liked was NaNuk from the Lost Boys.

Names like Jasper, Wilson last names for dogs are cute..
    always liked Shakespearian names, but hubby hated them..

SHakespeare
    Romeo
    Juliet
    Hamlet etc.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

I've know a Lola, Briscoe, Scooter, Jack, Luna, Lucas, Coco, Walter, Wink, Baby, Kristin, Flyer, Argyle, BeelzeBubbles (my all time favorite for a little dog), Batley, Waggie, Jakie, Scout, you really have to be with the dog for a little while and then you will just name it.
    Have fun with your new little girl or guy!!
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

I generally like short people names for male dogs - Jack, Mal, Max, Jake. My neighbour's dog is Sam, short for Samson, and another neighbour has a Noah, which I think sounds kind of wussy. Never really gave much thought to female dog names, for some reason.

In any case, I don't have a dog yet, and I agree that you need to "meet" the dog first. My kitties are both male, named Newton and Kepler, but I think I prefer monosyllabic names for dogs.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Hit By Ban Bus!

Apparently the most popular female dog names are Molly and Ginger. With good reason, they're cute! But I'd try to avoid them simply because they're so commonly used.

Phideaux. A sophisticated twist on a classic name.

Or Steve.

thank you guys.
    I am going for something like Emma. But I do like unpreppy names like Anacleto, Merlin, Sancho or some Disney characters. I think they're really cute on small dogs and I know it'a a bit unusual, people usually wish to pick a real fancy name, but to me fancy is being very alternative.

I watched a dog trainer and he said that dogs respond best to something sing-songy or that ends in a vowel, especially the "ie" or "y" sound.

My sweet, gigantic ball of fat labrador luvin' is named Josie!!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I know my Toby likes his name, and my former cat Silky liked his name, and my dad's dog Charlie liked his name, my former dog Kayla liked her name, and once I had a chihuahua/terrier mix named Taco. All ending in vowels, all good, responsive, well-behaved pets

Once had a tail-less big old Calico named Fat Cat, she was bitchy... but that was because we adopted her after she'd had a long hellish life on the streets of San Francisco.

Id' call my dog Aristocat!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

^So that's it then?!

Eli

Oh we're getting a new dog/cat soon because our old dog's dying soon and we need another one to keep our little one company.
    I'm thinking of naming him Pompodore if he's a boy, or Lorelai if she's a girl. Do you like either of those names?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information