Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet dog's behavior question

Default Pet dog's behavior question

I did not grow up with dogs so I dont know how to decode behavior but so many of my friends have them and id like to better understand it.

What does it mean when a dog keeps coming up to you and depositing items by you?

Here's the backstory

My friend has an 8mth old puppy who is very playful and friendly. Ive only been around the dog twice and the last time the dog was all lovey dovey with me (nuzzles, etc) and then started to "deposit" items by me.

I was sitting on a couch and she had a little bone that she brought over to me, placed right next to my leg using its nose to push it against my leg. A few minutes later she brough over an almond shed been chewing on (shes teething) and did the same thing. A few minutes later she sort of "double checked" the items were still there but did not retrive them.

Please enlighten me if u know why they do this? She did not want to play fetch either and the owner said shed never seen the dog do this before.

Aww...she was sharing AND she wanted to play.
    Playful~

awwwwww! so what should i do when she does this?

i was petting her but that was pretty much it, am i supposed to do something with the items?

I would pick the 'toy' up and toss it a little...not too far but to see if she will retrieve it and bring it back. Or she may prefer playing tug with you. I have a Schichon (or Bishtsu as some call them)...a breed created with the Bison Frise & Shitzsu. She loves loves LOVES her toys and has been this way since a tiny puppy. When she was younger, she just wanted to chew on them while I held her in my lap. She would drop them at my feet and wait for me to pick her up with the toy and then curl up in my lap and happily gnaw on it.
    Playful~

Could be the little dog was showing you her affection-true love! Trusting you with her prized possessions and knowing you won't take them away! High marks to you-a dog knows good people! My big poodle is like this-he wants to "share" his bounty with his favorite people.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

The dog trusts and likes you. You could try tossing one these 'gifts' a short distance and see if the dog retrieves it and then play that game. Some dogs have a stronger retrieve instinct than others. My two lazy schnauzers have zero interesting in playing fetch.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    . You could try tossing one these 'gifts' a short distance and see if the dog retrieves it and then play that game. .
    At first i assumed she wanted to play fetch but she didnt appear to. in fact she kind of looked at me like "what are u doing?" when i tossed the item on the floor, i felt really bad. and she does like to play fetch so i got the impression that for whatever reason she wanted me to keep the items. And the cutest part was she wanted the items as close to me as possible bc she dropped them right next to me but then "nosed" them closer so that they were actually touching me. The wet almond was hilarious and my indicator that it wasnt fetch bc her owner says she only plays fetch w her bones. but i will try to be more playful with her as u say

A*O

Dogs are pack animals and need a leader. She obviously thinks you are the Top Bitch! LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

LOL shes right

our pug brings stuff to us when he wants our help...sometimes he cant hold the bone or chewy that hes trying to chew on, so he will bring it over sit it on your lap and just stare at you until you hold it for him, then he will chew on it....spoiled little thing he is

i agree with what everyone else has said, she likes you!!
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

my bf's dog does this to me, usually it's a pair of my shoes, a purse or something that I own and like, I leave it there and she takes it away later, so she can bury it outside. if she wasn't so damn cute i'd be in a bad mood and angry.

Hit By Ban Bus!

this is so sweet. animals are such heartbreakers. she must really like your smell. you should make a big fuss and pretend to gnaw on the bone. then give it back.
    i used to have a roomie who had 2 cats. since he never was there the task of feeding them and giving them some attention fell on me. about 2 weeks into this i woke up one day. they were both sitting by my bed with a big bloody dead mouse! FOR ME. so i said WOW. thanks. after that i got a treat about 3 or 4 days a week. usually a bird but sometimes a rodent. kinda gross yeah but it's the thought that counts.
    nothing brings a tear to my eye like a dog or a cat. if i ever figure how to post pics i'll put up Joe, our spoiled American Staff, the smartest, most beautiful dude in the world. i'm getting all verklempt.
    it depends on the breed but playing tug-of-war with a dog can be iffy. if you win they see you as an alpha but if they take it from you, watch out. they see you as inferior and you need to prove all over you are not.

my dog does this when she wants to play fetch or when she wants to play tug of war.

about 2 weeks into this i woke up one day. they were both sitting by my bed with a big bloody dead mouse! FOR ME.
    this reminds me of my moms cat. The kitty hid in my room and had kittens when I was gone, that was okay but one day it brought in a dead lizard and put it on my pillow. It was soo gross and I couldn't sleep in my room that night.

Hit By Ban Bus!

i know but you have to look at it from their point of view. i think it's so cool
    and may i tell what happened to me this morning:
    a baby squirrel was right outside the building i work at and kept trying to run in. the cleaning guys kept shooing it out so it just sat by the door. i went out and every time i went near him he would do this attack mode by jumping in the air and putting his claws out. then he would cover his head with his tail and try to hide. MY HEART WAS BREAKING. i guess his nest was in the building somewhere. i got a box and me and another guy got him. first i took him to the back where there are a few trees but it is rocky. when i took him out he crawled right up my pant leg and just stared at me. like he was saying "Why?" people were freaking. then he sort of floundered arond. then he fell on his back because it was too rocky and i could hear him crying. so i put him back in the box and walked over to queen's park. i got him a bag of peanuts and let him go there. i sat on the grass and he sat right by me and had a couple peanuts. then he looked at me like "it's ok. you can go now". he seemed happy to be on the grass. i said see ya and left and i felt so great all day. i'm such a sap but i have a tear in my eye right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information