Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My letter to the editor.. thoughts?

Default My letter to the editor.. thoughts?

I'm thinking of sending this to the editor of the newspaper to get the word out there.. any thoughts? Changes?

Recently, my beloved dog was the victim of a hit and run accident; thankfully, he wasn't seriously injured, but as a devoted pet owner I was appalled by the fact that Brownsville has no emergency pet hospitals. I can only imagine how many pet owners are forced to suffer through the night pondering the seriousness of their pet's injuries. From a personal standpoint-- it's excruciating. Not knowing if your pet might be seriously injured, unaware of the physical pain they might be feeling and totally unfamiliar with methods of alleviating any emotional or physical damage he might have suffered. I can't be alone on this-- surely there are others out there that have been through a similar experience. I was lucky, my dog survived with relatively minimal wounds and some soreness, but what about next time? Next time, someone, maybe even you, might not be so lucky. What will it take for Brownsville to realize that emergency pet hospitals are not supplementary dispensations, but civil necessities. Our pet's safety relies on our moral and humane obligations-- dont you think we owe them more than what's available?

I would say what's currently available in your last sentence. Also, I would put your dog's physical state before his emotional condition because more people will relate to that. Otherwise, I think it is very good.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Good idea. I admire that you are taking action to bring attention to this issue in your area.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

How is doggy doing by the way?

I like it-do agree you should make it very clear nothing at ALL is availible after hours or on week ends there. Some might not be aware! Still-try to keep it short as you have it-not much longer!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yes, when I was editing letter to the editor, short ones always got in the paper. If they needed a lot of editing, they often didn't get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

How is doggy doing by the way?
    Very well. The vet gave me some Traumeel ointment to put on his scratches and also some Fluoxetine to try giving him to alleviate some of the emotional trauma, but I'm a bit apprehensive to give it to him because I heard it's used to treat emotional and anxiety disorders--anyone used it?

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

My only comment is to caution you that you should be prepared to be vilified by others in the letters to the editor section. Some pompous person(s) will be writing in something like that Brownsville needs better schools, safer roads, and a better whatever for the people of the town before they need additional anything for animals.

Thats a really great letter, very well written, so kudos for that. But letters t the editor might need to be shorter.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I'm proud of you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The letter is good, but it will most likely be pared way down in any case.

It's all well and good to draw attention to the problem, but the bottom line is businesses are created to fill a market. I would do some research to learn if there has ever been an emergency clinic and if so why it closed. It was probably a financial issue. If Brownsville is as depressed economically as you indicated, there's probably no profit. Vets have to earn money too, and I'll bet there's just not enough money in it to make it worth it to provide the service.

Why not contact a journalist from the local paper with your idea? Someone could do a feature story on it. Your letter could be published first, followed by a feature story. It sounds like an issue that would be received well at your local paper, esp. if they haven't covered that angle yet. Good luck, you have a great idea.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post

Why not contact a journalist from the local paper with your idea? Someone could do a feature story on it. Your letter could be published first, followed by a feature story. It sounds like an issue that would be received well at your local paper, esp. if they haven't covered that angle yet. Good luck, you have a great idea.
    Now that is a great idea and more likely to have some positive affect on the community much more than any letter to the editor.

i agree that is a great idea
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

A few people have written to our local paper about their dogs getting hit, and other people responded by telling them to keep their dogs out of the road. Just saying that it might happen to you, too.

Opening a 24 hour emergency vet service would be a private venture, based on someone's decision to offer the service to make money. I don't know of any government subsidies to such a facility. I think the letter ought to be more focused on encouraging local vets to consider going 24 hour, or encouraging some new business to do it. That would be a specific solution-focused letter, vs. just talking about how bad the problem is.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Even if your town isn't able to support a 24 hour clinic, at the very least, there ought to be one vet willing to see patients after hours in an emergency.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information