Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong to save this polar bear?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Unhappy Is it wrong to save this polar bear?

Activist to zoo: Wrong to save baby polar bear

Comments fuel debate over whether humans should raise abandoned cub

"Knut," a polar bear cub abandoned by its mother, plays with a soccer ball at the Berlin Zoo.
    View related photos

BERLIN - Berlin Zoo's abandoned polar bear cub Knut looks cute, cuddly and has become a front-page media darling, but an animal rights activist insists it was wrong to intervene and save the cub.
    "Feeding by hand is not species-appropriate but a gross violation of animal protection laws," animal rights activist Frank Albrecht was quoted as saying by the mass-circulation Bild daily, which has featured regular photo spreads tracking fuzzy Knut's frolicking.
    "The zoo must kill the bear."

When Knut — or "Cute Knut," as the 19 pound bear has become known — was born last December, his mother ignored him and his brother, who later died. Zoo officials intervened, choosing to raise the cub themselves.

The story prompted quick condemnations from the zoo, politicians and other animal rights groups.
    "The killing of an animal has nothing to do with animal protection," said Wolfgang Apel, head of the German Federation for the Protection of Animals.

Greens politician Undine Kurth called the suggestion "fully unacceptable." Petra Pau of the opposition Left Party invoked the widely-reported case of an Italian bear dubbed "Bruno" that wandered last year into southern Germany, only to be killed by hunters at the behest of local authorities worried about residents and livestock.

"Berlin is not Bavaria, therefore it will be better for Knut than Bruno," Pau said.

Wrong to kill him now, activist says

Albrecht told The Associated Press that his beliefs were more nuanced than reported by Bild, though he applauded the debate the article had started.
    He explained that though he thought it was wrong of the zoo to have saved the cub's life, now that the bear can live on his own, it would be equally wrong to kill him.
    "If a polar bear mother rejected the baby, then I believe the zoo must follow the instincts of nature," Albrecht said. "In the wild, it would have been left to die."

The German animal rights organization "Four Paws" argued along similar lines, saying it would not be right to punish the cub for a bad decision made by the zoo.

Other activists have also argued that current treatment of the cub is inhumane and could lead to future difficulties interacting with fellow polar bears.

"They cannot domesticate a wild animal," Ruediger Schmiedel, head of the Foundation for Bears, told Der Spiegel weekly in its Monday edition.

Albrecht cited a similar case of a baby sloth bear that was abandoned by its mother last December in the Leipzig city zoo and killed by lethal injection, rather than being kept alive by humans.

Protection against extinction?

But Knut belongs to the Berlin Zoo, and their veterinarian Andre Schuele, charged with caring for him, disagrees.

"These criticisms make me angry, but you can't take them so seriously," Andre Schuele said. "Polar bears live alone in the wild; I see no logical reason why this bear should be killed."

Schuele also argued that given the increased rarity of polar bears in the wild, it makes sense to keep them alive in captivity so that they can be bred.

"Polar bears are under threat of extinction, and if we feed the bear with a bottle, it has a good chance of growing up and perhaps becoming attractive as a stud for other zoos," Schuele said.

Knut, who recently posed for a photo shoot with star-photographer Annie Leibovitz for an environmental protection campaign, is scheduled to make his public debut at the zoo later this week or early next week, according to Schuele.

Wrong to save baby polar bear? - World Environment - MSNBC.com

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

If they can't handle him anymore, I'll take him. He's been on the news every day for two weeks now, people are going crazy over him. I've never seen anything so cute.

He is beautiful....Keep him alive I say, I much prefer the For keeping him argument!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

When I was in Japan last spring I watched this documentary about a zoo keeper that raised a polar bear. Made me cry. As he was getting bigger, the zoo headmaster(?/president/CEO???) told the caretaker he couldn't have any physical contact with the cub cuz it would be a liability and a scandal if the bear hurt a human being. But the caretaker thought it was important for the cub to feel human touch or any loving physical contact because it was so stressed from being alone and was suffering from stress related seizures. This was so sad.

The momma bear gave birth to it in captivity so she didn't know how to raise her baby n stuff. The zookeeper used to even bring him home after hours when it was a little cub etc, took him for a walk, it was so so cute.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Elite Member

hope they keep him safe and happy..surely there can be the odd case here and there where it is all right to save an animal like this...

I think they will keep him alive. The little guy is too popular and has too many friends!

Let's face it, being raised in zoos and in captivity is not natural, but I applaud the efforts that a lot of zoos are taking to ensure the health and well being of animals these days. Knut will never be in the wild, he was born and raised in captivity. Eventually, his keepers will lessen their physical contact with him and he will be fine. Bears, by nature, are solitary animals. There are two polar bears that are in the Denver Zoo (I think) named Klondike and Snow that were orphaned as cubs and were raised by human hands. They are huge and thriving. This is how they raise the panda cubs in the US. There is quite a bit of human interaction during the first year or so of life, then the keepers lessen contact.

Anyway, I think he was worth saving. There are some good zoos out there that I hope are doing their best to educate people about animals that they will never have the chance to see in the wild. This way, maybe people will learn to respect the other creatures that share our planet.

BTW - I have read that the Berlin Zoo is in no way considering harming Knut...the person that suggested he should be euthanized is a member of a bizarre animal rights group....

Save him!

Lil

That little bear is utterly gorgeous. I don't know what his life holds for him, but I hope they do their best to make it as good as it can be.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

TV (NBC) saying public opinion heavily in favor of bear! He is totally safe.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The news reports on TV here are saying "animal rights activsts" want the bear to be killed. It's a smear on animal rights activists, because only a few people have said that, claiming to be activists. I'm an animal rights activist, and I don't think they should kill the bear.

Animals have been re-adapted to the wild. If it doesn't happen, he will probably end up in a zoo. There is no way anyone is going to keep him as a pet. When polar bears reach a certain age (or size might be more accurate), they become very dangerous, and even if they're not attacking, a sudden movement or seemingly nothing at all can trigger a response and with the sheer size and power of the bear, can maim or kill a person.

In either case, the cub is adorable, people should do everything they can to re-adapt him to the wild but keep him as comfortable as possible in the meantime, and not all animal rights activists are psychos!

Totally agree lurkur, not all animal rights activists are psychos! I consider myself to be one too...I just cannot be fanatical about it, because the minute that you are, people stop listening to your message. Then, you're not helping any animals.

Like I said before, grizzly bears, even big arse ones, can be trained to live and work with humans, like those grizzlies you see on the movies and t.v. Polar bears for some reason, at least to my knowledge, can't be trained like that. When's the last time you saw a full grown polar and a human together? It must be something in their genetic makeup.

Enjoy knut before it turns into a killing machine:

^^ Awwww.
    Yep, yep, you're right. There is something about the polar bears that they can't be trained in the same way.

Enjoy knut before it turns into a killing machine
    lol

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

no its not! PETA is made of fucktards!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information