Thread: Miniature Schnauzers

Default Miniature Schnauzers

We are considering getting a mini schnauzer sometime this summer.

I was wondering if they are good with small kids? What about other, bigger dogs?
    And any other extra information you may feel like giving.

We are totally ok if they need a lot of excercise, we live right near an awesome 'dog park' and walking the a dog would give me a reason to get off my ass and lose the baby weight... Our other dog (Oscar) is my boyfriends dog and Ossie is truly dedicated to Ian.

Our neighbors got a little Westie and my 2 year old is enthralled with Flossie... When ever we see the neighbours withour FLossie Lily demands the where abouts of the dog ('Where Flossie?') and when we see Flossie she demands where HER baby dog is ('Where Lily's baby pup?')

Long story short, we hade a friend with a Schnauzer and she was a lovely dog when we saw them, put I want some first hand experience, the good, the bad, the ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    I am biased but labradors are rather wonderful dogs
    Thanks for the links!!!

Labs are fantatsic, but Oscar is quite large, and our 2 kids are quite small... I want to get a dog closer to their size... And we need a none-shedder with Ossie...
    Tessa
    Lily Katherine - February 19th 2005
    Finnian John 'Finn' - March 30th 2006

Hi Tessarella,
    Welcome, I hope you stick around!

I have two minni schnauzers named Selena and Bianca. Selena is really affectionate and always wants to sit on my lap and be petted but Bianca is more distant but she still likes to be pet. They weren't raised around kids so somtimes when I babysit my friends two year old son they get nervous and bark or growl if he does somthing they take as a threat (I think this is just because the environment they grew up and not their nature). They have never bit anyone. lol it's kind of funny when bigger dogs come up to say hello Selena gets scared and hides behind my mom or I but Bianca is friendly and says hello. Their really sweet dogs. I hoped that helped!

A*O

I have 2 mini schnauzers too!!! Fantastic dogs - smart, quick to learn (took about 2 weeks to house train them both), don't shed hair (yay!), loyal and great companions to humans and each other. They are not big eaters and are a nice compact size. My only slight quibble is they can be a bit 'yappy' if the doorbell rings or strangers come into the house (but it's only noise, they are not aggressive) and you kinda want your dogs to be alert to that kind of thing so it's not a problem. The other downside is they need regular clipping, unless you learn to do it yourself but it's only 3-4 times per year and not expensive.

My boys:

I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thanks!
    Your boys are so handsome!
    Yappy is fine, I have a 2 year old and an 11 month old as well as 2 budgies... No noise only means something is wrong in out house...
    Tessa

i never had a schnauzer but my best friend and her parents had a mini schnauzer that lived to 14 or 15 and was the sweetest, kindest, most faithful dog you can imagine and was almost never sick up to the end. she also got along with the family's two cats and, later, with 2 new puppies. i think it's a great type of dog for kids,
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O your dogs are gorgeous

My dad used to have mini schnauzers. Great dogs! I don't know if they're considered to be good with kids, but these 2 were fine with them. They were smart, feisty, playful & afraid of nothing. I have great memories of those dogs. But they're like all terriers, they can be stubborn & you have to really focus on housebreaking & other training because they're so willful.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

A*O

True - you have to make it very clear fromt the getgo who's the boss and spend some time training them to obey basic commands but that applies to all dogs really. I am deffo the Top Bitch in our little pack! They follow me around like a couple of shadows.

I'm not sure what the current rules are about tail docking and ear clipping outside Australia. Tail docking in all breeds was banned here a couple of years ago, and Aussie schauzers don't have those horrible pointy (mutilated IMO) ears you sometimes see in American dogs. Most schnauzers are either the salt/pepper grey ones or black with bits of white. As you can see, my boys are totally black which is a bit more unusual and I prefer it but I am biased.
    Dame Edna Everage

My dad's dogs didn't have cropped ears - they just couldn't bring themselves to do it. I think it's barbaric. Anyway, when one of his schnauzers would walk fast, or trot if you will, his ears would bounce & my dad would sing (to the tune of the Adam West Batman theme)
    Batdog! na na na na na na na na na na Batdog!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

The tails are usually docked right away, so that will be done, but ears I don't want touched. I want them floppy!

We want a black one... Or white (but not likely to get)... Name her Effie
    Tessa

A*O

My boys have docked tails, done by a vet when they were newborns, but it's now illegal here unless there are good medical reasons (and I can't think of many). It was the breeder's decision at the time so we didn't have any say. Provided it's done by a professional I don't have a particular problem with tail docking as such, but I accept that it's probably not necessary for anything other than aesthetic reasons so leave them be.

Set aside my natural bias, but these are really great dogs and you won't regret having a schnauzer in your life provided you are prepared to put in some time and effort to train it which, as I say, shouldn't take long because they are quick learners. Enjoy (and post a pic!)
    Dame Edna Everage

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My boys:

they look really cute..i love black as a color for dogs

I just have to find a breeder and all that.

I am excited!
    Tessa

Thread Information