Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think my little dog is nearing the end

Unhappy I think my little dog is nearing the end

Hey guys, I don't think my (well she's my boyfriend's really) dog is very well.

She's about 16 which I know is getting on for pretty old now. I know some dogs live much longer than this but I feel as though I can physically see her aging and it seriously sucks.

I know my boyfriend is going to be majorly depressed when she does go, and just wondered how any of your coped with deaths of your dogs, or any other pets?

Aw, I'm sorry!

I lost my own doggie at around that age-like you describe, he was physically getting worst before my eyes (though he'd been on various meds and constant vet visits for almost a year), and at the end we chose to put him to sleep because he'd stopped eating and was generally too sick for any life quality.

It's not easy-it's been over a year and a half, and it still hurts to think about him, hell, I'm barely out of that 'burst into tears at random moments' phase. I don't think I've cried over any death (including grandparents and other relative) like I did for my boy. But it definitely helps to think of the good life the dog had, and especially at 16 years, the long life span. Dogs live less than humans, it's the sad truth.

Thanks for that Aella. I think this has to be the absolute worst thing about pets - the short lives. I don't think I've ever posted a pic of my dog on here. I'll go and find one.

Me with Elliot a few weeks ago:

oh Bella I'm so sorry to hear that, she sounds like a trooper.

My German Shepard died last year, I had him since he was 2 months old and the size of my palm. He died when he was 11, my parents saw him at the gates guarding the house as usual. I was at work when my sister called....I was balling my eyes out, it broke my heart completely. I saw him on the night before he died and his brown eyes looked so sad.

I knew his time would come, he was had trouble walking and never came to greet me. He was such a lovely natured dog, I still miss him heaps.

Sometimes Elliot just looks so sad and forlorn in her basket and she limps when she has to go outside, and I feel so sad for her, but other times, like today she perks up so much and runs around the fields I walk her in, exploring every tree and bit of mud and branch we come across, but then once back home, she just collapses back into her basket and looks so sad again. Can dogs get depression? I don't know if she just hates being inside and is tired and old and grumpy, but being outside transforms her! I've cut down her walks hugely because she gets so tired from them, but she hates that and looks at my with such big brown eyes, it breaks my heart.

Aww she is so cute, she's looking very good for 16!!! Wow

I think dogs can definitely get depressed...when Bella is sick she has this look in her eyes and you can tell she isn't herself, it is so sad to see your dog going downhill.

I didn't cope when I lost my dog, this was 2003, my dog was only 17 months old and I still haven't got over it. It's horrible.

I hope you and your BF can support each other when the time does come. xxxxx And make sure he knows it's ok to cry over a dog, some people can be so insensitive about the death of a pet.

It's not "JUST A DOG" xxxxx

Maybe she's got arthritis. They have some natural herbal remedies out for pets now. My dog suffered from this and at that time we had nothing to help her like they do now.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Bella...I'm so sorry for the inevitiable loss, whether sooner or later. I lost my Australian Shepherd at 16. It was very sudden and she looked the picture of health at the time. I will tell you that I agree with others in saying the grieving process is just as real as with the loss of a human life. They bring so much joy and love into our lives, adopt themselves into our families and become one with us. I completely fell apart when Hannah died and grieved for that loss for a very long time. I adopted another 'little one' 3 years after her death. 'Monster Maddie', as I call, was never intended to replace her earlier sister but she has brought me much joy all the same. The earlier comment of possible arthritus was a good suggestion and something worth checking into. If so, it will give her a much better quality of life for the remainder. I wish you the best.

Thanks everyone. Sorry to hear about everyone's losses

Yes she does have arthritis in her back legs unfortunately. She's a Cairn and I think its quite common amongst that breed. Just looking forward to spending as much time as possible with her at the moment

Wow, that is sad, sorry to hear that. However what you wrote here ^ "Just looking forward to spending as much time as possible with her at the moment", is probably one of the most important things you can do right now: although you feel the end of her time is near, just ensure that her last moments were happy, positive and comfortable.
    Go Habs Go!!

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    Sometimes Elliot just looks so sad and forlorn in her basket and she limps when she has to go outside, and I feel so sad for her, but other times, like today she perks up so much and runs around the fields I walk her in, exploring every tree and bit of mud and branch we come across, but then once back home, she just collapses back into her basket and looks so sad again. Can dogs get depression? I don't know if she just hates being inside and is tired and old and grumpy, but being outside transforms her! I've cut down her walks hugely because she gets so tired from them, but she hates that and looks at my with such big brown eyes, it breaks my heart.
    I think it's normal for dogs to rest a lot, so I wouldn't get that confussed with depression. I have 2 younger dogs(both under 5), and they sleep a lot. One of them was rescued and sort of has that "depressed" disposition, but mainly b/c she never was our dog to begin with. I've tried to bond with her by walks, and that makes her happy. Dogs are happy I suppose when they are exploring.

Also, I had a friends who's mother had older dogs and they were fine. I mean, a dog can be "older" and still keep going along happily for several years. Your dog could have another 2 years still.
    It is a sad situation, though, I'm sure you've done what you can for her!

Silver Member

Unhappy

buy her a little heating pad

spoil her

my little cat lauren is on her last leg

Aww, Bella...it's sad when our pets get older. It's hard for us to watch them struggle with things that seemed so simple only years before. At Elliot's age, she's bound to have her good days and her bad. I agree with what you about spending as much time as you can with her. Make the good days the best, and like Jessica said, a heating pad can work wonders. My dog will sometimes limp when the weather gets cold and wet. Just make sure she's comfortable, you could still have some good times ahead

Bella, sweetheart, thanks for posting that lovely pic of you two. She will let you know when she doesn't want to do this anymore. My little dog Monroe was 17 when he died, first he lost his eyesight, he adjusted quite easily to that actually, then his hearing, this was much harder on all of us, then lastly his sense of smell. I must admit that I waited a bit too long to let him be free of pain. I went with him, for years, whenever he went outside, we lived in the mountains and a little dog who can't see turns quickly into fox or raccoon baby food. He was happy for a long time, but once his smell started to go it went rapidly downhill. Love Love Then be brave and follow through.
    And follow Jessica's advice. Prayers for all of you. Love and gentle touches to little cat lauren. I've kissed many a last leg, and I am sending you all gentle kisses with this post.
    Last edited by Reptillycus; March 5th, 2007 at 01:25 AM.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information