Thread: Is one Dick enough?

Red face Is one Dick enough?

I recently told my boyfriend that I would like to get another dog sometime, not now by any means but in the future, something we've been talking a lot about lately. His friend and him both agreed that Dick is a singular pet, and wouldn't get along well with another because he's extremely jealous. For instance, whenever I pay attention or give treats to one of my boyfriend's friends pet that comes here, either on a playdate or just for a vist, Dick goes nuts! He starts acting out, one second he's playful with his new furry buddy, the next he's trying to attack him or tear him apart. Even if the dog is twice his size! Luckily, the other pets are usually more mature. That or they laugh to themselves about how stupid Dick is with his 'big dog syndrome'. He thinks he's macho when infact he's just a chubby little piglet ( Here he comes now! ) It's like he knows when i'm talking ( Or typing! ) about him.
    He listens to when we talk, you can tell by his ears. Pets know everything we say, I swear. But anyway, back to the point of this thread, would it be wrong to go against Dick's selfish wishes and adopt a new addition to our 'happy' bunch? That is if my boyfriend, Dick and I are still together when the opportunity comes up.
    I was thinking another smaller breed, maybe even a pug or a similiar choice so Dick won't feel inadequate, the way he does around larger dogs. But if the new dog is smaller, which most likely it will be especially if we get it as a puppy, then Dick might be a bully. He's some character, i've had many pets and though i've loved them all dearly and the same, i've never come across one quite like my Dick. Like my boyfriend's mother always says, 'he thinks hes people'.
    I know many of you have more then one or two pets, have any of you dealt with jealous pets of any sort before? Really, they behave like children. And would this same scenario apply to lets say, a cat? Because i've had felines all my life and plan on having one or two of those again. Plus I have this really bad habit of feeding strays. If i'm not allowed to keep them, I usually end up taking them to the humane society in hopes they'll be adopted. It's better then roaming the dangerous streets. But please, help! Comments, experiences, anything will do.

Also, this is irrelevant to my thread but do any of you notice your pet reacts to an argument in the household or a fight? Dick either tries to join in, defend someone, bite someone or runs off with his ears back. He also dislikes alcohol and can tell when enough is enough.
    Last edited by JuicyLucy; February 24th, 2007 at 03:45 AM.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

When my hubby and I pretend to hit each other, Elmo gets really mad...

I hope you'll get a pug puppy...

If you are considering getting a cat in addition, you might need to watch out cuz both boston terriers and pugs have those bulging eyes and could get scratched by a cat easily...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I know, Dick already has!
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

haha, i thought this was a thread about monogamy

And yeah my dog always gets involved if theres a fight, and usually we think its so cute that we stop fighting, to watch him.

A*O

1. What breed is Dick?
    2. Has he been desexed?
    3. Have you trained him to know you or your bf is the Top Dog in the 'pack'?
    4. Is he a bit unpredictable and/or volatile in situations where he feels 'threatened'?

Generally speaking, two dogs are better than one for many reasons and ideally you should go for a male/female combo (both desexed of course). Two desexed males can work - I have two boys and they are best buddies - but two bitches is a recipe for disaster.

The size of the second dog is irrelevant, it's more about temperament and maintaining your position as Boss if there's any aggro but I'd always get a puppy to introduce into the mix instead of a more mature dog. I know a household with a tiny little shit-zu creme de menthe frappe pom pom furball and a doberman and the little dog OWNS the bigger one.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Dick is a boston terrier, a cute one at that

Yea definitely go for a male/female combo, second best is two males, two females can end up killing each other if they hate each other.

One dick is plenty for a girl x

Dick is a male boston terrier.
    Yes, he has been desexed.
    He knows my boyfriend is the 'Top dog' in the pack and i'm a close second. Although up until a few months ago I babied him and got little to no respect. He's just learning to listen to my commands. My boyfriend can walk him without a leash, I can't. My boyfriend also punishes him, I can't bring myself to do it. We have something called, 'the bad room' he hates it more than spankings. It's where he's confined to a bathroom or bedroom with the door shut. Also I believe the story about the shit-zu, smaller breeds tend to be more intelligent and in Dick's case, aggressive. He's pals with a Golden retriever named Magnum and a boxer/pit bull mix ( I think? ) named Bones and Dick's made them both his bitch. Not to mention, they're all males so size really is irrelevant. But yes, I agree with you about a puppy opposed to a mature male. Thanks for the comments so far!
    Honey, too bad you live so far. Bella and Dick could have playdates!
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Yea shame...Bella would love to play with Dick

A*O

So long as you have establised the pecking order in the pack and BF and you are both Top Dogs you should be OK PROVIDED you let Dick know when he's overstepped the mark. The naughty room is a good idea, especially if you know he hates it. He will almost certainly try to 'dominate' the puppy so you have to be able to distinguish between normal dominance/rough housing between them and real aggression but you seem to know Dick pretty well (!!) so you really just need to let them sort things out between them within reason.

Having two dogs is really no more work than having one (apart from the vet bills!) and my two boys have a lot of fun playing together or just keeping each other company. Dogs are pack animals and so naturally prefer to have other dogs around.

I say go for it and if you can pick a bitch so much the better. It's the best combo.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thanks hun, great advice.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Is one Dick enough?

You made me howl with that title!!! Sorry for being so childish!

Curiouser and curiouser...

like A*O said...Dick will probably try to dominate the puppy...he just wants to show whos boss..Zorro did the same when we brought Hemi home, and he still thinks he needs to show his tough side sometimes when they play (a 70lb lab vs a 25lb pug..so funny). A*O is also right about it not being more work then having just one. They can play together, and will become buddies. I could sit and watch our 4 labs play together all day, they are so funny.

So do you want another boy, or a girl? and how are you going to beat the name Dick?!

lilycat..i cracked up at the title of this too
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information