Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you react to people extremely fearful of your pets?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default How would you react to people extremely fearful of your pets?

There are two cleaning ladies/maids in my building that are violently frightened by my baby Elmo. When I step out to take Elmo for a walk, sometimes one of them is in the elevator, such a confined space we have to bear to share. Both of them act so melodramatically terrified of my dog, squirming, shrivelling up in the corner, even screaming when Elmo goes near them. Elmo is nice to people, he doesn't bark, he just goes to sniff them, and if they are interested, he doesn't mind being petted, he welcomes it esp scratches .
    They just act so awful towards him, I can understand that some people are scared of dogs but these ladies are really something else. They act like they are being held up by a robber with a gun or maybe something much worse. It's totally and unimaginably overboard and actually annoying and almost offensive (and I do understand that some people are scared of dogs!!!!!)

Has anyone here ever met people like these?
    I'm wondering how I should react and if I should just pick Elmo up and hold him in my arms while in presence of either of these ladies.

(this is my Elmo taking a bubble bath)
    He's a pug, he's not that big so the size shouldn't be scaring them or anything.

Last edited by moomies; February 23rd, 2007 at 06:05 AM.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I always have that reaction but thats because Jake is 6 stone. Sounds a bit over the top for a pug though?!

If it makes them feel more comfortable I would pick him up.

Ha ha ha! What a set of divvy's!! Who in their right mind is scared of a pug??! I'd also be really offended if my Elmo ever got that reaction... in fact I'd struggle to hold hold my tongue and not tell them to get a freakin grip! If I were you I WOULD pick him up in their presence and ignore whatever dramatics they come up with. Tell little Mo he doesn't have to be nice to the silly, nasty ladies anymore!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

2 Elmo's?! What a coincidence

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My Elmo is a really sweet little boy, he doesn't deserve to be treated like that I almost said something to one of the ladies yesterday but I figured they might not understand English so what's the use...
    I actually did feel offended but I thought maybe I was the one overreacting. I mean this building allows pets and if they are so scared, maybe they should find work in a no-pet building. They'd prolly pee their pants if they saw a bigger dog.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Gold Member

Totally agree with picking him up, as you don't know what is in their past.

I played tennis with an older lady that was terrified of all dogs. The reason for it, was her leg was badly mangled when she was walking home from school when she was 6.

I do admit those ladies are going over the top. My friend has the manners to explain why she is terrified of dogs and most people understand.

Your dog is so cute, I want to kidnap him for my little girl. You can see his intelligence and firendliness just by the picture.

I truly don't think they are reacting specifically against your dog. They are probably like that with all dogs.

I am sure all of the other people in the building adore your dog. If they don't, they are obviously blind, stupid or both.

Ok, so you know I can't resist... here's a picture for Tenaj of my cutie Elmo!

Two such adorable puglets in the world... who would have thought it??! ANYONE who's afraid of such stuningly cute pooches is MAD in my opinion!!

Ooh he's a young pup. Got that questioning head tilt down to a T I see!

I must say he looks very sweet in his daisy chain.

Yeah - he's a hippy dippy puglet!! (I actually caught him trying to eat that chain so he ain't getting another one!!)

totally agree lilycat..anyone that is scared of these guys has some issues..i can understand big dogs totally, but pugs?!!?!?! i would say pick Elmo up when you get around them..im sure he would like the lovin anyway
    i have the exact opposite problem with my lab, shes scared of everyone, kids too..i hate it...a lab, scared of people!!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Man! How much do I wanna steal Moomie's Elmo and your Zorrow!!!! These little dudes are just the best!!!

Aaaaw, cute doggie pics!

Ahem. Back on topic, I had a similar experience with my late doggie Ricky. At the time, we were living in an apartment building next to an Indian family, and everytime I shared an elevator with their kids, they would do their best to put as much distance between them and my boy. Btw, Ricky was a pekingese/poodle mix, and hardly bigger than a pug.

And no, I didn't pick him up, but I did keep him next to me at all times.

I get that all the time but I have a pit if it is someone I don't like or don't want around I say hell yeah she bites(hehehe) Most people are just scared of her because of the breed of dog she is
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

A*O

Ahem [walking on eggshells here] there are some cultures where the notion of having pet dogs is completely abhorrent because they are considered to be either unclean or they are regarded as food. It's not anyone's fault but since Moomies lives in Canada where owning a pet dog is perfectly OK then these women need to Get Over It. If they want to have hysterics every time they see a dog that's their problem.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Really. Some cultures and races are deathly afraid of dogs for whatever reason, and not speaking English (or Canadian !) is a lot of the problem. But giving them a break, maybe they've had a few bad experiences so who knows? If it were me, I'd call the agency and discuss the situation and perhaps give some other cleaners a try.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information