Thread: Horrible, hideous, f#cked up insects

Arrow Horrible, hideous, f#cked up insects

The Emerald Cockroach Wasp

The emerald cockroach wasp is a parasitoid wasp of the family Ampulicidae. It is known for its reproductive behavior, which involves using a live cockroach as a host for its larva. A number of other venomous animals which use live food for their larvae paralyze their prey.

As early as the 1940s it was published that wasps of this species sting a roach twice, which modifies the behavior of the prey. A recent study using radioactive labeling proved that the wasp stings precisely into specific ganglia. Ampulex compressa delivers an initial sting to a thoracic ganglion of a cockroach to mildly paralyze the front legs of the insect. This facilitates the second sting at a carefully chosen spot in the cockroach's head ganglia (brain), in the section that controls the escape reflex. As a result of this sting, the cockroach will now fail to produce normal escape responses.

The wasp, which is too small to carry the cockroach, then drives the victim to the wasp's den, by pulling one of the cockroach's antennae in a manner similar to a leash. Once they reach the den, the wasp lays an egg on the cockroach's abdomen and proceeds to fill in the den's entrance with pebbles, more to keep other predators out than to keep the cockroach in.

The stung cockroach, its escape reflex disabled, will simply rest in the den as the wasp's egg hatches. A hatched larva chews its way into the abdomen of the cockroach and proceeds to live as an endoparasitoid. Over a period of eight days, the wasp larva consumes the cockroach's internal organs in an order which guarantees that the cockroach will stay alive, at least until the larva enters the pupal stage and forms a cocoon inside the cockroach's body. After about four weeks, the fully-grown wasp will emerge from the cockroach's body to begin its adult life.
    Now that shit is fucked up.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

heh heh heh c'mon Grimm we know you just want to eat em
    and wash em down with this >

Now we know where the idea for the movie "Alien" came from.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Elite Member

oh gosh *lovely* haha

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    Now we know where the idea for the movie "Alien" came from.
    Actually, you are correct.. they were based on the lifecycle of parasitic wasps, except in the movie the monster was only supposed to live for 24/48 hours...it was dying at the end of the movie when Sigourney blew it out the airlock. That's why it was so vicious cuz it only had a short window to reproduce.

</end geeking>
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

When I saw the title, I figured you had found something else in your cabin besides the cockroaches.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

That is very disturbing.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

mmmm we have found a way to do away with cockaroaches finally lol just get yourselve some wasp

i wonder what happens when a person gets stung?????
    When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain

That's gross
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Wow! I know in the other thread I wrote about how much cockroaches rub me the wrong way but I'm pretty sure that the Emerald Cockroach Wasp is now the insect I'm most afraid of. That's a reeeeally wrong way to go. Seriously. Not that there's a right way to go. Oh, I'm so flustered.

Thread Information