Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big-ass effing cockroaches! Someone tell me how to kill them.

Angry Big-ass effing cockroaches! Someone tell me how to kill them.

So yeah.. I come home to the 'resort' here in Curacao, and find a damned cockroach enjoying a refreshing drink of water out of my dishwashing sponge on the kitchen counter.

This thing was as big as my thumb WITHOUT the legs or antennae, and unfortunately the thing scuttled behind the kitchen cabinets before I had a chance to send it to cockroach hell.

I fucking hate crusty bugs. I dont mind bees, or beetles, or ants.. but i draw the fucking line at cockroaches where I live.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the fuckers? i dont want to have more nightmares about huge cockroaches.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Eeek, just reading this gave me a full-body shudder!

I've lived in a few places with roach problems, and most of the market insecticides never seemed to do the job properly. I followed a friend's advice and went to a agricultural supply store and purchased some industrial-strength insecticide. I'm not sure what the equivalent iwhere you are would be, but the one I bought came in powder form (I had to dissolve it in water), and I basically sprayed every corner/possible roach path, and left it on for two days. It basically anihilated the fuckers, and the effect lasted for three months.

Yeah, i dunno if they have anything like that here.. all the grocery stores seem to stock heavy duty roach killer so i guess the problem is an island thing.. given how people live here, I'm not surprised.. fuckin third world bullshit.. ugh.

Any idea what was in the insecticide you got? ive heard of the powder stuff, i think its a form of acid.. cant remember whats its called tho..

OH on top of that i saw a huge ass centipede the size of my middle finger (again, sans legs) with huge pincers on the back.. maybe I should introduce the two.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Sorry, I don't remember the ingredients. I do remember it didn't emit any fumes though, if that's any help at all.

The roach killers are useless-it might take care of a couple of roaches, but not the thousands of hidden ones. Ick.

Do they have Raid? That seems to work well. That and probably your shoe. Ah, alas, poor Grimm. He found a down side to paradise. I would still like to be you right now. Cockroach and all.

*sulks*

the 5 star hotel I was in for the first couple nights didn't have fucking roaches..

then they put us up in this craphole. grr.

I fucking hate crusty bugs.
    I'm sorry, that's really cute! I totally sympathize, anything with an exoskeleton or whatever freaks me right out.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

The only bugs that bother me are the ones that are health hazards or are just gross.

Spiders: vampires of the insect world, and they have big crusty butts.

Centipedes: too many fucking legs, they always find their way into my room, and damned hard to kill.

cockroaches: the gutter trash of the insect world. the oils they secrete are a health hazard and theyre just fucking huge.

Centipedes
    Oh God... don't even talk to me about centipedes... please... *shudder*
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

.....find a great, big, hungry lizard.......

Damn, Curacao was on my list of places to travel to this summer. (Gets pen out and furiously scratches the name from the paper).

I don't know if they still sell it but diazinon (spelling) was really good at frying earwigs and those little suckers are at least as hard to kill as roaches (unless you're brave enough to just smash them with your shoe). Anyway, it used to be found in most bug killers but they may have taken it off the market in the states. Maybe you can find it down there though.

Would you mind telling us the name of the resort? I'd like to avoid it and any of it's branches come Summer.

It's the Santa Catherina resort.

If you go, stick with the Hilton or Marriott, or the Kura Hulanda. Stick with the 5 star hotels, because even tho theyre 5 stars they dont seem more than 3 or 4, as in nice but not decadent. Do not go for any 'resort' with "bungalows", because you'll be stuck in a bug infested, bare bones kind of place that only has AC in the bedrooms.. the main room becomes unusable because it turns into an oven during the day. Frankly, i'd recommend other island in the caribbean if yer looking for long beaches and tropical environment.. the enviro here is southern california, basically. All dry, cactus filled and spiny. The terrain is volcanic in nature, so the shores are rocky.. lots of bluffs and such.

The beaches, while warm and sunny for the most part, arent the best.. lots of rocks and dead coral, not a lot of sand. The reefs are good to snorkel in and such, but so far havent been utterly blown away by anything. I liked the beaches at Panama city in FL better.

The food is generally tasty (oddly, even the fast food tastes better) and I havent had a bad meal as far as i can remember.

Stay away from the snooty dutch restaurant, Der Tropen.. it aint that great anyhow

Um.. what else. Service is generally painfully slow, there are no emission standards on cars so everything here belches black or blue rancid smoke (really gross) and there's a big ass, pollution belching oil refinery spewing crap into the air 24/7.. it mostly goes out to sea, but still.. it's a blight.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Use one of your flip flops and squish them.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

This thing was beyond the ability of a flip flop to squish.

Plus if i felt the crunch with a boot, i'd probably puke.

try this-its better than squishing them
    Kill cockroaches with baking soda - Uses of Baking soda tips
    When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information