Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm adopting a pug! finally!

Default I'm adopting a pug! finally!

I have waited so long to adopt a Pug and it's finally going to happen. I waited until we moved and got settled in our new home and I'm so ready! I found her online from a rescue group. She is a one year old fawn female Pug who is healthy and had been left at a shelter! Kanine Kids rescued her and I am going through the adoption process now. Her foster Mom will bring her to us next weekend and I can hardly wait. Her name is "Petunia."
    She's an angel! All of my family and friends are excited, too! She will have all the love in the world!
    Her picture is my signature. Isn't she a little doll!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Aww what a cutie. Congrats Panda!
    We unfortunately decided not to get another...but it makes me happy that others are getting one and sharing the joy of being a pug parent. You'll love her to pieces. Pugs are just so snuggly.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Oh, she looks so cute and cuddly. Keep us updated on Petunia.

I will! I'm so excited I just can't stand it! I have to wait another week!
    she is going to be so spoiled rotten! any Pug tips will be greatly appreciated!

Tip 1, pugs will try and eat anything. Keep stuff off the floor. My Elmo even licks the dust... Once, I left my purse on the ground and he went snooping in while I was out and found a bag of gummies/sour peaches. We had to rush him to the emergency cuz he started wimpering as he ate a lot of them and they expanded in his tummy after he drank lots of water. He had to get an x-ray and was induced to vomit but he decided to keep the yummies in his tummy. He had to stay at the vet over night to be monitored, but he pooped it all out the next morning.

He wasn't too bad with chewing, he hasn't destroyed anything valuable. He nibbled on a couple of pencils (not badly either, only enough to make teeth marks, which is cute), that's about it.

Tip 2, Keep her warm when cold, cool when hot. Pugs have a short snout (= short airway to let air cool down or warm up). Esp in summer, they are prone to overheat, so watch out for heat exhaution.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

thanks, I certainly appreciate the tips. I got me a book all about Pugs to learn about their special needs, like cleaning their wrinkles. I learned about the "double curl" in the tail. I had never noticed if Pugs have one or two curls, I just always thought that a curly tail was the cutest thing I'd ever seen! Petunia has two curls. Pugs are so much fun! I have been around them before and I know how absolutely precious they are, that's why I just have to have my own baby! I am counting the days. This weekend, I am going to Pet Smart to pick her up some stuff. When she gets settled and comfortable with us, I'll take her there and let her pick out whatever she wants! When I think about that precious angel being left in a shelter, it breaks my heart. Humans can be so awful!

Our vet gave us a cleaning solution to clean the nose wrinkle. Oh and maybe you might want to get ear cleaning solution from the vet or a petstore, as well.
    I bought lots of pug books, too when I first got Elmo, it says you can use vaseline in the nose wrinkle if I remember right.

I call the curly tail a donut cuz it looks like it Some pugs' tails only curl once, others have double curl. I met this pug that had "double coat" its coat was really soft and fluffy (prolly sheds more though) Elmo isn't double coated.
    Oh yea another thing, pugs shed A LOT, so more vacuming and brushing their hair off of your dark clothes.

Silver Member

Oh, yes, Hazel's tail has a double curl. It's the funniest thing to see when she wags her tail. It's like a little dancing cheese danish.

Pugs do shed year round, and they do have the respiratory issues. Moomies wasn't kidding when she said pugs will eat anything. Over the years, Hazel has eaten an entire bag of foil covered chocolate-peanut butter candy, a piece of leather string, tons of Kleenex, and 4 oz of hard alcohol which got her terribly drunk and landed her in the pet ER overnight. Better than the St. Bernard that ate a pound of pot that our vet told us about.

A lot of pugs hate having their toenails trimmed. It takes 4 people at the vet's office and a sedative to do Hazel's. Josephine's just now starting to freak out when people touch her feet, so I know what's coming.

Eli

Oh. congrats!
    I want a pug but I doubt my old folks will want one. I'd have to take care of it all day, but I can't, I work. They don't. The end of that discussion.
    Did you guys know that pugs apparently don't live for long? How sad is that. They're so adorable.

Oh cute More pics! More Pics!

congrats! i wanna see pics!!!

pugs are such great dogs, so cuddly and cute and friendly..you will absolutely ADORE her!!
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ley_cheers.gif
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

YEAH!!!! I'm so chuffed for you Panda! I hope she brings you all the joys my little Elmo brings me! Pugs Rule!!!!!!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Oh. congrats!
    I want a pug but I doubt my old folks will want one. I'd have to take care of it all day, but I can't, I work. They don't. The end of that discussion.
    Did you guys know that pugs apparently don't live for long? How sad is that. They're so adorable.
    Where did you get such a misguided information? If 10 -15 yrs is not living long then you might be right.

AVERAGE LIFESPAN

Pugs can live in excess of 12 years of age.
    http://www.pedigree.com.au/breeds/?b=156&p=p&pp=

Pug Health

Life span: 12 15 years
    http://www.5stardog.com/dog-breeds-pug.asp

Lifespan: 10-12 years

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/200...og_breeds/pugs

Life Expectancy

A healthy Pug can expect to live for around 12-15 years. You can maximize on the lifespan by providing the Pug with a healthy diet, moderate but regular exercise and a generally healthy lifestyle.

Silver Member

Yeah, it's not at all uncommon to see 17 year-old pugs with proper care.

Congrats, Panda I love all dogs, so I'm just glad to see you got the one you really love and it was from a shelter That's awesome. Have you seen the Pedigree dog food commercial with the dogs at the shelter? The dogs are saying "I know how to sit, how to fetch and how to roll over. What I don't know is how I ended up here. I do know that I'm a good dog and I want to go home." It kills me that dogs end up there. Really good dogs. You rock for getting a shelter dog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information