Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot duck survives two days in refrigerator

Default Shot duck survives two days in refrigerator

Shot duck survives 2 days in refrigerator
    Raises head when hunter’s wife opens door

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare.

The man’s wife “was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn’t been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her,” said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. “She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there.”

The 1-pound female ringneck ended up at Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won’t ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

“This duck is very passive,” Hale said. “It’s not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16725051/
    People suck. At least they brought it to the vet after they shot it.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

This story pretty much confirms my opinion of the intelligence of the majority of hunters.

I'm glad it is in a sanctuary now, hate hunting of any form.

Ouch, poor duck! I'm glad the hunter's wife did the right thing.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

oh the poor thing; im going to seriously cry right now

Default Refrigerator Duck Plays Lazarus Again

Refrigerator duck plays Lazarus again
    Bird that lived 2 days in fridge after being shot flat-lines in surgery, revives

The ring-neck duck has been shot by a hunter, rescued from two days in a refrigerator by his wife and — in its latest brush with death — resuscitated on a veterinarian's operating table.

The one-pound female duck stopped breathing Saturday during an operation to repair gunshot damage to her wing, said Noni Beck of Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary. Veterinarian David Hale performed CPR and managed to get the fractured fowl breathing again after several tense moments.

"I started crying, 'She's alive!'" Beck said.

Perky grabbed national attention last week after a hunter's wife opened her refrigerator door and the supposedly dead duck lifted its head and looked at her. The duck had been in the fridge for two days since it was shot and mistaken for dead on Jan. 15.

Perky, who now has a pin in hers wing, will probably not undergo any more surgery because of a sensitivity to anesthesia, Hale said. The duck is recovering from its latest ordeal.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16866547/from/RS.1/
    Ducky update! Poor Perky, hope she makes it.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Elite Member

omg..i don't like hunting/hunters..this poor duck. hope it is ok.

Why hunt?
    Isn't there enough courageous cows, pigs, chickens etc on farms that give their lives each day to feed us?
    No need to go after wildlife.
    Don't bite the hand that feeds you. I also hate when you read about animal cruelty on farms and what not, you don't need to be a vegetarian but respect these animals. They should live in luxury if anything and have a quick and painless death when it's time.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Man that is sad.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    I'm glad it is in a sanctuary now, hate hunting of any form.
    me too honey..it is so awful..just the worst..i will NOT date any guy who goes hunting..i will walk out of the restaurant if we're at first-date dinner and he tells me he goes hunting..i will even date a republicans before a hunter omg *dreadful*

I know I was totally against this and i'am anti-hunting but last night, I ate goose. I feel terrible, does this make me a bad person?
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

I don't mind hunters if they actually eat what they kill I don't agree with hunting for sport.

This is an awful story. I cannot be with someone who is cruel to animals. Poor defenceless animals!

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyLucy View Post
    Why hunt?
    Isn't there enough courageous cows, pigs, chickens etc on farms that give their lives each day to feed us?
    No need to go after wildlife.
    Don't bite the hand that feeds you. I also hate when you read about animal cruelty on farms and what not, you don't need to be a vegetarian but respect these animals. They should live in luxury if anything and have a quick and painless death when it's time.
    ITA. I don't understand the attraction of hunting either.

I think I read that it was the 20 year old daughter that rushed the duck to the vet. I used to live in the mountains, and the hunters that infested some of our areas just loved to party and do the blood lust thing. Food my ass.
    We were sure to stay off the main highway during the season because there would be party fires and drunken shooters out having "fun". Highway 88 and Highway 89 in California, the pass is Carson Pass. That's what the majority go for...happy to get away from the women, go party, and kill.
    When I worked at a Lookout Tower decades ago, it was illegal to fire a firearm within 500 feet of the Tower. I put out salt licks and made friends so to maybe save some of them. There was a hunter's camp close to the tower, and if their papers were in order, it was my job to tag the bodies, so these fucking men could take their kill home in their vehicles.
    I tagged some friends dead, and cried out up into the sky, but I also saw others stay alive. The does and the hares were best buds. They ran to each other every morning. They ate together, and knew each other. I saw many deer and those big eared rabbits travel together as friends. The same deer and the same hare would greet each other every morning. I saw this.
    This duck living makes my dreams happy tonight.
    Last edited by Reptillycus; February 19th, 2007 at 05:22 AM.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information