Thread: Heartworm treatment: desperate for suggestions

Default Heartworm treatment: desperate for suggestions

This is my first post and hope I am submitting it correctly. I am desperate and need ANY suggestions. I adopted an abandoned Golden Retriever (approx 3 yrs old) a month ago and have fallen madly in love with him. When I took him to be 'snipped', I was informed he was heartworm positive and apparently it is pretty bad. The problem is this: The treatment is in 3 stages, first trip is a 2-night overstay then I bring him home for 3 weeks, return him for his 2nd treatment, bring him home for another 2 weeks and then return him for his 3rd and final treatment. The vet told me he will have to be prohibited from ANY activity..no jumping, no running and I can only walk him 3 times a day on a leash to allow him to use the bathroom. If I do not strictly follow this, they said his chances for recovery were slim since the dead/dying worms could dislodge and kill him. He is extremely active, jumps in sheer joy at everything and not crate trained. I have tried everything in the world to adapt him to it since this will be the only way to ensure he remains quiet to no avail. He is too big and strong to manhandle him into the crate and too smart after the first few attempts at luring him with treats, etc. I never close the gate while I am home to allow him to come and go at leisure...still nothing. I have postponed making the appointment because I know I cannot keep him quiet at this point. BUT, I am afraid I cannot wait much longer or the heartworms may kill him first. Any suggestions will be tried. I love him so much I will be devastated if something happens to him. Boarding is not an option during this period because they do not offer that service. Trust me...I have called around, including the SPCA. HELP~

Elite Member

ok. get him to the vet NOW. do not wait. Also, maybe once he goes to the vet for treatment, the treatment will slow him down and make him weaker, so it won't be so hard. Stop waiting. Just get him there!! Ask the vet for some tranqulizers or meds if you have to calm him down. just go ASAP

Elite Member

agree, call the vet now. you must take care of your pet. i hope he will be okay, he sounds like a lovely dog. good luck!!

I appreciate both of your replies. What I did not add is that he was only released to begin treatment as of yesterday (we had to wait 10 days for his recouperation from his snip). So, the appointment could not be made until yesterday. I did ask about tranquilizers and they said he could not take anything because it would weaken his system further. What I was searching for was suggestions for getting him confined/settled/quieted during this process. I am making the appointment. There has never been any question about that. Just seeking answers for keeping him quiet. Thank you again for the responses. A few prayers would help too. Thanks again!

Elite Member

^^oo, didnt know the details! Like I said, perhaps the treatment will wear him out? Maybe give him a chew toy, so he lies on the floor playing with that instead of running around? rub his belly to keep him still? maybe if he sees you on the bed, he'll lay with you and not jump around?

^ Yea, maybe the treatment will make him quite lethargic anyway? Kongs are pretty good to lie down with and eat from for doggies, or rawhides, just stuff that will be enjoyable and keep him distracted? Like Sunshine said, if you relax and chill out he will probably copy you?

I really hope it goes well, fingers crossed for u and your baby *HUGS* xxx

i hope you open this back up and read this but my dog is doing this treatment also. she is a yellow lab and she gets excited just seeing someone to the point of her wee weeing alittle as she trys to get you to love on her hehe. but she is not being very calm the vet offered seditives but we can not afford them as the treatment is going to cost over $600. ahhhhhhh. but she is worth it we are trying to keep her as calm as possible but she is a happy pet. let me know how the treatment is working out plz.

Thread Information