Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet food reviews

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Pet food reviews

Just thought maybe we could share our (our pets') experiences with and review of pet food

I've recently bought Elmo a new bag of dog food. I like to try something different every time he finishes a bag so this was something he had never tried.

I got him Nutro Ultra Weight Management dog food.
    http://www.ultraholistic.com/wm.shtml

And he really doesn't seem to like it. He loves to eat so it worries me a little cuz his appetite has gone down (he still begs when we eat though).
    I usually buy him weight control food cuz we've been advised by the vet to put him on a diet. The kibbles are rather elongated and (you know dogs, they don't make an effort to chew good) maybe that's another reason Elmo doesn't like it besides taste and being of diet food.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Elite Member

great topic moomies..i have been unfortunately reaading about a lot of the garbage they put into pet food..all sorts of un-used animal parts/by-products from the meat industry ..i am considering stopping using commercially available stuff..

I have only bought Jake "Iams". He eats it.

Iams does a lot of harmful testing on animals. I've boycotted it for years because of that.

^^ Yea I've read that also... I try and buy something more of a premium and natural food for my Emoos.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I feed my cats raw food. It's a hassle to make, but they are slim, and very healthy. I've never seen cats with such beautiful coats.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; December 26th, 2006 at 10:26 PM.

OCD

My cat eats perscription cat food, and our dog use to eat Iams, but it scores a D on the pet food scale.

Moomies you are using the feed we switched to and I plan on feeding my pug.

I think it's a pretty good brand OCD, Elmo prolly just doesn't like it cuz it's the diet food. He seems to have gotten used to it now though.

Ok, on another note...I bought this bag of chicken jerkies from Costco. And it's totally like crack Elmo is addicted and goes crazy for them. It made me wonder if it had MSG or something. It's just 100% dried chicken strips kinda thing though. Anyways, I tried to see if it had any additives and the bag doesn't list such info but what I found was that they were made in China so I don't trust the quality now...

Elite Member

sometimes we make low-cost rice and chicken batches for the dogs, but we still mix it w/ dry dog food..i hope some new brands come out soon where they list the ingredients and don't use weird stuff..i am kind of concerned about this.

Elmo got a Pedigree dentabone (I think that's what it's called) for Xmas from a friend of ours. And that thing is evil... Elmo has been the mellowest dog ever and when I went near his face or touched him or the bone while he was chewing, he started growling and gave me the crazy eye (looking like he was gonna kill me). He totally went psycho, he's never done that with any other food or treats before...

Brynnie (my Siamese) does that with salmon. It's his absolute favourite. He's normally very mellow but he actually growls and hisses when he gets salmon for a treat.

^^That's weird, mooms. Sounds like it's got doggie heroin in it or something.

Hmmm, apparently I feed my pup the equivalent of fast food giving him Puppy Chow. I thought it was okay. He's cute and sassy and I think he looks healthy.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Iams does a lot of harmful testing on animals. I've boycotted it for years because of that.
    Oh no! I didn't know about that! I feed both my cats and dog on Iams and they love it. It keeps them healthy and all have beautiful coats. Pacific, could you please elaborate on what you know as I certainly don't want to support any company that tests on animals?
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Quote Originally Posted by pinklilycat View Post
    Oh no! I didn't know about that! I feed both my cats and dog on Iams and they love it. It keeps them healthy and all have beautiful coats. Pacific, could you please elaborate on what you know as I certainly don't want to support any company that tests on animals?
    http://www.iamscruelty.com/

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

http://www.iamskills.com/http://www....iams_statement

http://www.iamskills.com/

Reading through, it seems that the worst offenders are IAMS / Eukanuba owned by Procter & Gamble and Hills Science Diet owned by Colgate Palmolive.

I'm trying to research and see if Purina Puppy Chow has anything scary about it. I stupidly had no idea this cruelty went on in making dog food.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information