Thread: Cat-sitting question

Silver Member

Default Cat-sitting question

My friend's cat sitter flaked on her. So, I can't leave a 6 month old kitten alone in a house for a week. I took her.

She seems to hate us. My cat wants to be her friend, but she is NOT HAVING IT.

I rescued Hillary ( my cat) from a dumpster when he was 3 weeks old, so he is not typical cat.

I am tending to the kitten and I gave her her own room away from everything with all of her stuff. But she seems so afraid...is there something more I can do?
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Well, she is scared. She's in an unfamiliar place with people she doesn't know, strange smells, and another cat. I would just leave her be for a bit. Feed her, and attempt to stroke her, but don't push it if she's not cool with it.

It took my adult cats about a week to get used to each other when my boyfriend and I moved in together. I had three and my boyfriend came with his two. It just takes them a little while. Sometimes kittens can be scared of the bigger cats.

Lil

I agree with PB, give her some space and don't push it. My cats still hate each other after eight years, but the initial spats eventually gave way to an uneasy truce that pretty much endures. Although the younger one still hides behind doors to jump on the old lady cat's head from time to time.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

It takes time for cats to get used to each other. Sometimes a few days, sometimes much longer. You are getting good advice here. Let her stay by herself, go in and let her come to you without the other cat there, at her pace. The kitties will smell each other under the door, and eventually play with each other's feet. You can encourage this with playing with them with a straw or shoelace, on either side of the door, under the door. They'll become used to each's others smell and become curious. You relax and have fun and they will too. You're a good friend to take care of this kitten!!

Lil, I had a younger one once who also liked to jump my old girl for fun sometimes...
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    I agree with PB, give her some space and don't push it. My cats still hate each other after eight years, but the initial spats eventually gave way to an uneasy truce that pretty much endures. Although the younger one still hides behind doors to jump on the old lady cat's head from time to time.
    Sounds like my two kitties. The younger one pounces on the poor, old arthritic one. Although I was very surprised the other day to see the old, arthritic, one chasing the younger kitty!

My Tom, Bruce, totally hounds one of my girls, Whitby. She's utterly petrified of him and we have to keep them seperated at all times. This has been going on for THREE YEARS now! It's really upsetting but ultimately there's nothing we can do other that give one of them away and THAT'S not going to happen. Cats are funny creatures and if they don't get on there's no way you can make them.
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Cats just kill me. We only have one, since it doesn't have other kitties to play with, she makes it through her day by pouncing on my daughters! The oldest (5) won't walk down our hallway, she only runs - scared kitty will get her. The youngest (9mos) screams and giggles everytime she sees the cat - I believe hoping to be attacked.

My kitty doesn't have claws BTW, so no damage - just a startle. All good fun.

Back on topic - I agree with all the other posters, it will just take some time for her to feel safe.

Silver Member

Well she is now lovin everyone! She still retreats to her " room" but she has adapted well.

Edited to Add: MY cat Hillary is on the list for sainthood. As he and my 3 yr old are just inseperable and the best of playmates. He CRIES when she goes to school. We've had him since he was 3 weeks old ( rescued from a dumpster) so I don't think he has any clue he isn't human :lol
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Aww, I love cat stories! Hillary sounds like a sweetie, and I'm so glad the little kitten is doing well.

We just adopted my sisters kitty because she couldn't keep it anymore and we have a small dog (the kitten is almost the same size as the dog). The cat hissed like crazy at first but now she's curious and will chase the dog. It was hilarious one day because I ws putting out food for the cat and the dog (ones in the bathroom and ones in the kitchen) And the dog keeps trying to eat the cat's food so I take it to the dog dish and discover that the cat is eating the dog's food.

Kitties just need to be left to their own devices to ensure their happiness.

Thread Information