Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Putting a cat to sleep

Elite Member

Default Putting a cat to sleep

Hi Everyone. My cat Sheba Fluffy Raisin is 15 years old. I hadn't taken her to the vet in a very long while, but I could tell something wasnt right. Turns out, she has diabetes, gingivitis, and a mammary tumor. The tumor is easily rumoved, but the diabetes is severe. It would require insulin twice a day, exactly every 12 hours and countless blood tests to check if her glucose levels improve. I could barely get through talking to the vet without choking up, but I have decided to put her to sleep-I don't wanna put her through insulin,tests, operations...etc. Please let me know if you think its the right decision.

Well, you should be taking your cat to the vet at least once a year, especially as they get older. The gingivitis alone must be very painful for her and affect her ability to eat.

I have a friend whose cat has diabetes and she's been giving it insulin for years.The cat is fine. It's not that big a deal, but you have to commit to doing it.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I'd prolly opt for the treatment and surgery. Elmo has had a couple of surgeries already for benign mast cell tumours, they had to be removed. He has also gone under (anesthesia and all) a couple of times as well for dental work, once he cracked his molar and his tooth had to be pulled out and another time for just tartar removal and teeth cleaning just like a human. He also had some minor gingivitis but anti-biotics took care of that. But he's not as old as your cat so he could go thru it all and recover fully etc.

Did you ask your vet how much your cat would have to endure/suffer if it went thru with the treatment and surgery considering its age? Like I said, it might not be as bad for a younger pet but I guess the issue is more the age.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Giving a cat insulin injections and doing the testing isn't really such a big deal. Both of you would get very used to it quickly.

Lil

I'd be inclined to give her a chance and try the insulin injections - 15 really isn't all that ancient. If she is having an operation to remove the tumour the vet can sort her teeth out at the same time, and I think you will find the insulin will make a massive difference to her really quickly. A friend of mine injects her cat every day and the cat is good as gold, and comes to be done.

Good luck with whatever you and the vet decide is best for her.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I'm prolly going to be jumped for saying this, but if you aren't willing to take on the expense and commitment of her treatment - then she'd probably be better off put to sleep. She can't continue to suffer. Another option would be to contact your local pound and see if they have anyone that would be willing to take her on and give her the treatment she needs.

I'm not a huge animal lover (God bless those of you who are!) so I can understand the hesitancy to take on this treatment. If you do put her to sleep, don't get another pet unless you are willing to do the annual vet visits and keep them healthy. It's sad enough when they are strays and sickly, but it's really horrible when they are pets and neglected.

Elite Member

^^I don't believe I've neglected her. Perhaps I should have taken her more often, but its very expensive and I can't afford it. The last visit alone was 425 dollars. And I hope you are not implying that I've neglected her. Maybe I made a mistake, but I am only a college student, and I've always shown her love and done my best. Also, I am origially from Russia and Gd knows no one takes their pets to vets very often-and they live 20+yrs.

Sunshine, you have to do what YOU feel is right; by you and the cat. If you do decide to put her to sleep, don't feel guilty about it if you gave her a good, loving 15 years of life.

Elite Member

Thank you so much Icepik. It's such a hard decision and I've been so upset, and to hear people say I've neglected her is hurtful. I admit, I should have taken her more often, perhaps she would have lived longer. But I love her a lot and it would be too hard emotionally to give her insulin, and so expensive. I had to give her some pills for some small problem and that was hard enough hehe. Maybe going to the vet would have helped, but maybe it would not have. You can never know. Some cats just get old. I want to thank everyone for their comments. I appreicate you guys taking the time out to reply.

She still probably would have gotten Diabetes even had you been taking her every year for the past 15 years. 15 is old for a cat. She could live another year or so but you say she has a tumor? What was said about that? Has it spread? Sounds like what happen to my cat. She was 16 and they found a tumor, removed it and then told me there was more and it was up to me at that point to either put her through misery of surgeries or just to let her go. She was doomed to less than 6 months no matter what.

I agree. You know your cat better than any of us. If you know that treatments aren'[t really going to improve because age might actually be the real issue, than dont be too hard on yourself for not wanting your cat to suffer additional anguish. If your cat is like mine, they HATE going to the vet and that just causes more stress on the poor thing. I have not watched an animal suffer because it was never let go that far. Sometimes I wish it was legal to do the same for humans.

Elite Member

^^Thank you! Well she had a tumore before, and we removed it, about 8years ago. Honestly, the vet didn't even push the tumor-just the diabetes issue. It's small, and mammory tumors are common in cats that were spayed after 6 months of age. We'd need a chest xray to see if it spread-during the intial visit he said he didnt think it had, I guess he didn't feel it? But if it were just that, i would totally do it. She definitely hates the vet. She isn't even eating a lot now. Its time...sad, but what can you do? We've already found a pet cemetary and I'll be calling tomorrow. It's hard for me too, you know-looking at her and thinking-is today the day she's gonna be in pain? Is she ok? I know a cat who is 5, and she has diabetes. At that age, sure, insulin is totally worth it and chances of her getting better are good. But, whats the point of putting her through hell if there's no guarentee. I'd rather she go feeling somewhat ok. It's a tough time anywayz for my family since the anniversary of my brother's death is Dec 25. So, I just wanted her to pass before then, grieve, and put her to rest.

Oh, I'm sorry Sunshine. I'm going through something similar right now myself. I have the cutest little minicher pinscher, but she has the worst build, which is fairly common for these smaller terrier breeds. It seems like her legs never fully developed and her body is becoming too heavy and unproprotioned. Well, she just sprang her leg, and is now limping. I got SO mad and nasty to my stepfather who is also chronicly ill, but he feeds her so much food.
    Last edited by JamieElizabeth; December 17th, 2006 at 02:58 PM.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Oh Sunshine, i am so sorry about your kitty. Only you can decide what's best for your baby and i wish you peace with your decision. I had to put my beloved Suki down when she was only 9 years old due to a massive growth on her kidney. My other baby Roija is now 14 years old and was told several years ago that she was starting kidney failure but she is doing really well. I wish you comfort.

Lots of cats routinely live to 20 and older now that food, care and treatment are better. But it is an individual decision, and just like people, some cats have better natural health than others.

I wasn't implying that you neglected her Sunshine, simply saying that just like people, most animals need more medical attention as they get older. Some vets are ripoff artists -- I would call around and see what other vets charge for similar services. There can be a huge difference in price without much difference in quality of care. I know this from personal experience, having had several cats live to be 20 and more.

I am sorry you are going through this; I know exactly how heartbreaking it is.

Elite Member

^^thank you pacific breeze-my comment was directed more at Cloud, not at you. Thank for your advice and sympathy-I'm always surprised at how nice and caring total strangers can be.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information