Thread: Anyone's pet have kidney problems?

Default Anyone's pet have kidney problems?

My dog was just diagnosed with early stage kidney failure. He's only 6, and it's devastating. Does anyone have experience with this? I've always expected cancer, but this is horrible, and I know the traumas that await humans with kidney failure, so it's terrifying me.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Oh I'm so sorry snakebread. I hear from people not to feed dogs anything salty cuz it could balloon up their kidneys (I don't know if this is a fact or just a myth but maybe something to look into).

Elmo's last blood test indicated that we need to watch his pancrease. I have no idea what that means or what we can do about it. I got a chart from the vet for his blood test showing all sorts of mineral levels and what not...

What kind of dog do you have? Some dogs are just prone to certain diseases because of breed.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I'm really sorry!

Last winter my 10 year old cat Isabel stopped eating and was always really thirsty, I took her to the vet and he took some urine and blood test and later called me and told me she had ingested a toxin (probably anti freeze) and developed Renal Kidney Failure. It wasnt caught early enough, too much damage was done and I just decided it wasn't fair to keep putting her through treatments. I wish you and your dog the best of luck and I hope he can still live his full life!

I just wanted to add, please keep us posted on your dogs condition and how your doing!

Quote Originally Posted by snakebread View Post
    My dog was just diagnosed with early stage kidney failure. He's only 6, and it's devastating. Does anyone have experience with this? I've always expected cancer, but this is horrible, and I know the traumas that await humans with kidney failure, so it's terrifying me.
    My old Siamese kitty had kidney failure. I am a nurse and gave him fluids at home to keep his kidneys flushed and gave him a good diet and he lived 4.5 more good years. He was ancient and that was a miracle he lived as long as he did!

edited to say it's early stage and that's hopeful. read up on it on the internet and ask your doctor about administering fluids at home. It's just under the skin and easy to do even for non-medical people. It helped my kitty live a good life! If I lived near you, I'd help you out with the fluids.

Thread Information