Thread: Cats have a special language just for humans

Default Cats have a special language just for humans

Your Bi-Lingual Kitty

Adult cats, living apart from humans, have very clear communication with one another. It is spoken mostly through scent, then through facial expression, complex body language, and touch.

Vocal communication involves caterwauls for mating, chattering upon spotting prey, hissing to ward off an intruder, or shrieking when hurt or terrified. Meowing is not part of this language. Meow-ese, it would seem, is a language developed exclusively for humans.

The only meowing in the cat world is done between mom cat and her young kittens. A kitten’s tiny “mew” is a cute, endearing sound, used to solicit attention and care from mom cat.

So why do cats have two “languages?” Because meowing is unnecessary in a cat’s world. But in your world, your pet cat is dependent on you, and quickly learns that you are clearly not picking up the scent messages she leaves on your things, and you are not completely fluent in cat body language.

The disarming “meow” however gets you to do what she wants and so that develops into a second language. Some scientists would go so far as to say that cats have refined their meows specifically to manipulate people. We have to admit it works.

Cats have dozens of meow sounds that vary in pitch, length and volume. Most cat owners learn the language easily. A short, high-pitched meow is a standard “Hello!” Several of those strung together mean “You’re home! Yea!!!”

Cats use pleasant meow sounds to solicit requests for food, to go outside or to simply get attention. Your cat learns which meow is going to get the results he wants. You may find that the meows that tug at your heartstrings the most are the ones your cat is using for pleas such as, “pet me.”

Cats use unpleasant, harsher, louder meows for demands, reprimands or to express annoyance. These meows have a lower pitch and are not all that cute. Cats know not to use ugly meows to seek a favor–because you’re unlikely to comply with such rudeness.

Meow-ese seems to be generally understood by “cat people.” Dr. Nicholas Nicastro, Ph.D., who did his thesis on humans’ ability to understand meows, found that people who own cats were far better at understanding the meaning of meows than people that don’t. Dr. Nicastro recorded hundreds of meows cats used in real settings with their owners. He had people listen to the meows, then asked what they thought the cats were conveying.

Part of the experiment asked general interpretations (Does the cat sound angry or pleasant?) and part were more specific translations (Is this cat asking for food or does he want you to go away?).

Not surprising, the more experience the people had with cats, the better they were at understanding meows – those who had no cat experience scored very low. People who owned cats could correctly translate 40% of the meows. That’s pretty remarkable considering the respondents did not have the benefit of seeing the cat. Normally, when a cat meows, we get more clues to its meaning from the context in which the cat is speaking (by the door, near a dirty litter box, time of day, etc.) and from body language.

It’s kind of nice to think your kitty has gone to the effort to learn a second language to communicate with you. Sure, she did it mostly out of necessity, but also out of affection. She wouldn’t meow just for your attention if she didn’t enjoy a relationship with you.

The Meaning Behind the Meows

Your cat uses the basic meow in several variations in many situations. Even though there is a distinct “demand meow” for example, your cat may have separate variations for each of his regular demands. If you watch what your cat is doing when he meows, and listen carefully, you may learn to distinguish the demand meows, and eventually know the difference between his “let me out” demand and his “give me food” demand by sound alone.

Short meow or mew: Standard greeting. “Hello!”

Multiple meows or mews: Excited greeting. “Great to see you!”

Mid-pitch meow: Plea for something. “I’d like to eat.”

Drawn-out mrrroooow: Demand for something. “Open the door NOW.”

Low pitch MRRRooooowww: Complaint of a wrong you have done. “Hey – my bowl is still empty!”

High-pitch RRRROWW!: Anger or pain. “That’s my TAIL you just stepped on!”
    http://www.petcentric.com/article.as...eptember06news

Mine also have a short clipped meow they use just to let me know that they are under my feet and not wanting to be stepped on (except for Goober who as a result gets booted around rather regularly).

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

SVZ

MRawahwawaakalaawaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

My dog has a "language" too, but I think it's more operant conditioning than anything innate.

My kids think I have lost my mind when I "talk" to my cat, Lucy. I do know what she is "saying" to me! She is such a sweet, loving cat. Last night I was very upset about the upcoming holiday and she curled up right beside me on the bed as close to my neck as she could get. She does that when I am sick or upset. I think she knows that and is trying to comfort me or show that she loves me...it's so sweet
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Hey, they missed the "cat hind leg flick/shake" that from what I can gather actually means "screw you, human," or "I am now done with the inadequate meal you have provided."

They cannot give me the finger and, therefore, have come up with their own little way to flip me off........a friend told me that we end up with the cats we deserve......somebody, somewhere, hates me.....

Drawn-out mrrroooow: Demand for something.
    Good lord, yes, this is so true. My cat Cheeto is so persistent when he demands something, and will not stop until he is appeased.

I WANT MY BACK SCRATCHED
    MY FOOD BOWL IS UNACCEPTABLY LOW
    MY WATER BOWL IS UNACCEPTABLY LOW
    I JUST THREW UP IN THE DINING ROOM & NEED YOU TO CLEAN IT UP
    I WANT TO GO INTO THE WATER HEATER CLOSET
    I WANT TO GO SLEEP ON THAT GIRL'S BED BUT HER DOOR IS CLOSED
    THAT DOG IS GETTING ON MY NERVES - DO SOMETHING

Etc. Etc. Etc.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

THAT DOG IS GETTING ON MY NERVES - DO SOMETHING
    Oh yeah, I know THAT meow! Sometimes it's more like having two fighting siblings in the house than a dog and cat - they drive me nuts! It's pretty lovely though when they wear each other out and have snoozy cuddle!

Elmo and Bruce about to nod off
    Curiouser and curiouser...

great article! Cats are so smart and I see how my little one has become so manipulative with his cute little meows! He knows that gets to my heart!

Awwww, this article gave me a big smile. I always did notice that my two kitties never really meow at each other. They look at each other, and have distinct body language with each other. But the meowing they only do to us, the human members of the family.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

If my littlest kitty REALLY want to pull at my heart strings, he does the head tilt, closes eyes and meows to sound pitiful! gets me every time.
    He gets a new toy and more treats! He's such a charmer.

Thread Information