Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get another dog?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Should I get another dog?

My hubby's coworker has some pugs and the mommy pug might be preggers so we might get a puppy. I'd love to get another pug for Elmo to play with etc but I'm afraid that it would make him miserable and make him traumatized in his old age since he usually hates other dogs. On the other hand, he might react differently to a puppy so we never know.

Should I get a puppy?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

YES! I'd always say yes to a new pup. My friends have an old german shepherd and new shepherd pup. The older one gets annoyed occasionally but that's only when the puppy wants to play aggressively. The older one teachers the puppy the ropes so to speak.

The new energy in the house is fantastic. It perked up the older dog as she's motherly and you can tell she doesn't let the puppy get out of line.

What the hell is cuter than a pug puppy?

Elmo will definitely be jealous because puppies do get a lot of attention and he is used to being the centre of your lives. I suggest get a female pup because that will be less traumatic. And always make sure that Elmo comes first -- feed him first, pet him first etc. and it should be OK in a few weeks. But the transition could be a little rocky.

Had a similar situation a few years ago. Like Chalet said, the older dog got annoyed, but eventually came around & it really perked him up. They became inseparable. The puppy was a female, which probably helped, like PB suggested.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

That's an interesting point about getting a female pup, it's because male and male could get territorial?

Elmo hates any dogs in general so I just don't want him to spend the rest of his life all miserable. He's gonna turn 10 next Feburary.

We've doggie sat once and Elmo hated it so much that we had to give back the dog. It was a big dog (Black lab) though and was horribly house trained, peed all over the carpet...so it worked out better that we returned the doggie. The couple we doggie sat for was getting evicted for keeping a dog in a no pet apartment.

Anyways, yea I'd love to get a puppy. It would be hard not to if we ever go have look at them, that's how I got suckered into getting Elmo Hubby's coworker's gonna go get her puggie checked if she's really pregs.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I think sometimes dogs are like children, and they'll accept a baby into the home a little easier if they think it's "their baby"

There are no guarantees, Mooms. But it sounds like Elmo had good reason to hate the other dog, if it was peeing everywhere. The puppy will pee, too, but Elmo will know that it's a baby.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

A*O

It might mean using some doggy psychology but I'd say Yes, go for it. We had a year old dog and then got another. Dog #1 was a bit put out at first but quickly established himself as the Top Dog in the pecking order (after me of course, the Top Bitch). Make sure Elmo comes first - he's fed first, he gets the first pat or stroke, he gets to sit on your lap, etc etc so he doesn't feel threatened. Once things settle down you'll be really glad you have two dogs. It's really not much more work than having only one and they DO get a lot of pleasure in each other's company, playing, etc. And yes, get a female - it's always better to have a M/F combination if possible. Having said that I have two males but both are fixed and we don't get any territory problems although they do like to rough-house play which sometimes gets a bit TOO rough.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I've found that bringing a younger pet in with the older ones always seemed to make the older ones more active. When we got a kitten (which is almost harder to bring in more than one because they're rather solitary animals) my 9 year old cat lost about 5 pounds just from running all over the house playing with the kitten. Now that the kitten is all grown up, they're buddies because it was established that my older cat was the dominate one while the younger one grew up.

I agree with everyone else though, if you're going to get a puppy (which I totally think you should) make sure its a female...it'll make the transition from only dog to more than one dog a little easier if there isnt so much of a power struggle.

A*O

A vet once told me that the really 'bad' combination is two females. Some of the worse fight injuries he's seen were caused by a couple of bitches going at each other (no jokes please!).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    The puppy will pee, too, but Elmo will know that it's a baby.
    Really? I did not know this.

Hubby seems to be having second thoughts about this since I kinda got more realistic and started asking questions like how much his coworker would sell the pup for, if we can take the it back if Elmo didn't like it etc and his coworker hasn't found out if her pug is pregs for sure.

So I can't get my hopes up just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    A vet once told me that the really 'bad' combination is two females. Some of the worse fight injuries he's seen were caused by a couple of bitches going at each other (no jokes please!).

Worst combo ever!! I have a female Lab and went to the shelter and adopted another female, this time a lab mix. At first, there were a few fights over small things, but they settled in nicely for about a year...then all HELL broke loose. They fought over everything. Who got to sit next to me, who got to sit next to my ex, who got on the bed first, who got in the car first, who got out the door first, etc. We're talking WWIII. Blood, vet visits, trainers, behaviorists, the whole nine yards. Too bad someone at the shelter didn't warn me that this is the most volitile of all combinations. The best is a spayed female and a neutered male, followed by two neutered males. Little skirmishes are to be expected, but we had to live with the dogs on leashes in the house for 8 months. They couldn't be near each other with out fighting. Finally, the boyfriend (of 7 years) and I broke up, he wanted the lab mix and I took our first dog because she was closer to me. Long story, I know, but an odd follow up - my ex didn't want to keep the dog so she came to live with my aunt. The little lab mix still hates other dogs. My lab has learned to like other dogs again, but it took awhile. You just have to know your dog.

Aww Moomies I'm so jealous! I'd LOVE to have another pug puppy!!! Unfortunately my boyf already refers to our house as a zoo (1 dog & 3 cats!) so he'd be so stressed if I bought another pup.
    Promise to post lots of pics if you decide to take one!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

me n hubby sorta worked out a business deal so if the mommy pug is preggers for sure and gives birth to healthy puppies...we'll prolly get one

Oh oh oh. It's too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information