Thread: Cockroach-eating contest bugs animal group

Default Cockroach-eating contest bugs animal group

TORONTO (Reuters) - An animal rights group called Tuesday for a North American theme park operator to cancel a competition in which people will try to break the world cockroach-eating record.
    Theme park operator Six Flags Inc, based in New York, is staging the contest as part of a promotion leading up to Halloween in which it is also offering customers free entry or line-jumping advantages if they eat a live Madagascar hissing cockroach.
    The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said it had been flooded with calls from children, adults and even anonymous employees of Six Flags opposing the record-breaking contest and the overall promotion.
    "Insects do not deserve to be eaten alive especially for a gratuitous marketing gimmick," PETA spokeswoman Jackie Vergerio told Reuters.
    The competition to beat the world cockroach eating record is being held Friday at a Six Flags park in Gurnee, Illinois. Anyone who beats the record will win a season pass for four people for 2007 with VIP queue-jumping status.
    Competitors will try to break the current world record, which is held by Ken Edwards of Derbyshire, England, who devoured 36 Madagascar hissing cockroaches in one minute in 2001.
    However Six Flags spokesman James Taylor said the only complaints the company had received were from people who did not have the opportunity to sign up and eat a cockroach because
    only 12 of its 30 parks in the United States, Canada, and Mexico were participating in the promotion.
    Taylor dismissed any health concerns, saying the cockroaches were raised in a sterile environment and were as safe to eat as shrimp or lobster with high nutritional value.
    Madagascar hissing cockroaches are large, wingless cockroaches that can grow to between 1.5 to 3 inches.
    Taylor said no one who had indulged in this rare delicacy had complained.
    "It's something that's supposed to be scary, it's icky, it's gross, it's Halloween fun and it's just one small part of the haunted houses and thrilling rides going on."

-yahoo odd news

hey if they want to eat roaches..i say more power to least they arent running around my place then!
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

fellow traveller

animal rights groups are reaching new levels of retardation every day. it's fucking cockroaches... never mind that anyone that participates in a roach eating contest is seriously stupid too, it's even worse to take the time and resources to protest such an event
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Ewwww......... that's all I gotta say.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Thread Information