Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sedating my cats

Default Sedating my cats

I'm moving with my cats and the drive is about 3 hours. They get really nervous and throws up in the car when they travel long distance. Can I go into a vets office and ask for them to be tranquilized for the trip or is there a lenghty procedure that I have to go through? Has anyone ever done this? Is it dangerous?

A*O

Why not phone the vet and ask?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Lil

I did a similar journey with my old lady cat a few years ago, and whilst she complained loudly all the way, she was fine. However she's sick every time I take her in the car these days, pretty much before we even get out of the drive, so I might be inclined to ask the vet's advice if I had to take her a long way again. I am not big on sedating animals unless you really have to though.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Bronze Member

I think it depends on their age too - my vet does not like to sedate my cats who are 13 and 15 without doing their serum blood chemistries to see if the kidneys can withstand sedation.

If not sedation is there anyway to keep cats calm during a trip?

Quote Originally Posted by teforde23 View Post
    If not sedation is there anyway to keep cats calm during a trip?
    I have posted before about my Rescue Remedy Spray I started using. Ask you vet or read reviews online for use with pets.
    http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/cafe/rescueremedy.html

Moving kitties can be very stressful...what has worked for me over the years is to sure each is in a sturdy carrier, by him or herself, with a towel in each carrier, so they can hide under it or hang onto it if they need to. Your vet may give you some mild tranquilizers for them, ask for advice. It also helps alot if someone that they know is sitting very close to them to put some fingers through the bars so that they can have physical contact. This has always reassured my kitties...and don't you get upset! They'll pick up on that and magnify it. They should be fine.
    After you arrive at your new home, however, if they are outdoor kitties, it may be a good idea to keep them inside for a few weeks or longer, so that they understand that this is their home now.

Good Luck!!

That Rescue Remedy Spray is interesting sounding, I'll check it out...

Bronze Member

Very dangerous to sedate any animal, breathing problems could arise. If they were to vomit while sedated, they might strangle to death....A very light bit of valium might be given if you have a regular Vet that knows you and your pet's and their ages and health.
    Also, don't feed or allow water intake before the trip, make sure they have lots of air, but are safely confined in carriers.
    Be sure to call your Vet. Advice is so easy, call or stop in. They will unlikely dispense RX without seeing the animals.

I put one cat in one carrier, the other cat in the other, and then face the doorways to each other so they have company. seems to work.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

PS: Some will like soft music. All like to think they are hiding, and favorite toys and blankies in well made carrier. Togeather they become too hot...is important to sing and talk to them while driving. Night goes better than the day time. Be cautious of dangers such as open carrier, unlocked. While getting gas, or going to restroom. Nothing is so sad as to loose a pet this way. Good luck dear..sounds like a short trip and loving owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I put one cat in one carrier, the other cat in the other, and then face the doorways to each other so they have company. seems to work.
    I do this too, and I sing and talk so they will hear my voice.

I travelled 1800 miles, once, with a so-called "sedated" cat. All those pills did was freak her completely OUT. She yowled the entire way, with her inner eyelid hanging down making her look like a demon cat, and she would crawl up the back of the driver's seat, screaming (I didn't have a carrier.) When she got to the top, near my head, I'd reach back over my shoulder & grab her, & fling her backwards into the back seat, where the process woudl begin again.

People on the interstate behind me were cracking UP. I'm glad somebody was having a good time.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Bronze Member

Oh My, I am on a roll replying to old posts. I'll figure it out soon I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I travelled 1800 miles, once, with a so-called "sedated" cat. All those pills did was freak her completely OUT. She yowled the entire way, with her inner eyelid hanging down making her look like a demon cat, and she would crawl up the back of the driver's seat, screaming (I didn't have a carrier.) When she got to the top, near my head, I'd reach back over my shoulder & grab her, & fling her backwards into the back seat, where the process woudl begin again.

People on the interstate behind me were cracking UP. I'm glad somebody was having a good time.
    My cats just meowed and foamed at the mout for the entire trip. I started to tear up because I thought they were going to have a heart attack. I don't know if they got car sick or if this is the natural reaction for cats traveling in cars. When my siamese was younger he would go under the car seat and sleep for a few hours.

Have you tried Feliway Spray? I spray it in my cat's carrier (just started this year) and she doesn't yell when going to the vets. Since she did for the first 20 years I think the stuff is a miracle. It is cat pheremones. Google it and you'll see. It isn't cheap but one bottle lasts for a long long time.

Feliway® Pheromone Spray and Diffuser

The Natural Solution to Control Cat Urine Marking, Scratching and Stress.
    Feliway is an synthetic analogue of the feline facial pheromone which reproduces the familiarization properties normally produced by a cat when it deposits its own facial pheromones in the environment.
    Ideal for use with behavioral problems such as:
    Urine marking
    Vertical scratching
    Loss of appetite
    Avoidance of Social Contact
    Aids in calming cats:
    During travel
    Useful in acclimating cats to new environments
    During hospitalization
    When moving to a new home
    When introducing a new cat into a multi-cat household
    One vial last approximately 4 weeks
    Active coverage area is up to 650 square feet
    Plug diffuser in an open area, do not place behind furniture
    Phermone Spray calms cats in stressful situations:
    Transport
    Hospitalization
    Boarding and waiting rooms
    Helps cats adjust to new environments, new pets, and new people
    Convenient 75 mL spray bottle

Feliway® is a registered trademark of Ceva Santé Animale

IMPORTANT: DO NOT SPRAY FELIWAY ON CATS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information