Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat question, please help if you can

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Default Cat question, please help if you can

To be brief, I have 4 male neutered cats. One in particular has a habit of peeing out of the box (in my bathtub, on my bath mats, sometimes on the carpet in the hall). I keep 3 litterboxes and clean them 2x per day. 1 cat goes outside all the time. His urine appears normal. I am experienced with urinary blockages and this is not going on with him. He is very sweet and loves lots of attention. It seems he may be competing or trying to mark his territory. I am upset but this and hide it from my husband. I now hang my bath mats up every day. Yesterday I purchased some training pads from the pet store and laid it in my bathroom floor. I tried this because I caught him peeing on a towel I'd left on the floor and I was hoping he's use this pad. So what if I have to put a pad down every 2 days. He doesn't do this every day and he does use his box.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Gosh...

My cat (a female) was urinating on my bath mat too, and a few other places. I was so angry at her. But took her to the vet and she had a urinary tract infection, and because of it, it was difficult for her to urinate in the litterbox because of pain. I felt horrible. The vet gave her some medication on site, but recommended a special hard cat food specifically for cats that are prone to UTI's. She's been getting it ever since (except for once, I bought another kind of food--and she got a UTI when I did that), it's been wonderful. Maybe, try the food?? It's Purina, can buy it at a regular store, it's in a blue and pink bag and like I said, especially for UTI cats.
    Otherwise, I am stumped. Good luck!

Even if he's not blocked he could have a urinary tract infection. Experts say you should have one box for each cat plus one extra. Perhaps he doesn't like the litter, you might want to change it. Is there a box in a quiet area, some won't pee where there's too much commotion. Is he peeing or spraying? If he's spraying that's an entirely different subject, a territorial marking. Once you get the smell into something they think it's ok to keep peeing there. Try putting tin foil down, or leave some lemons around (they hate the smell) or even put a food bowl down, cause they won't pee where they eat. Whatever you do don't clean with ammonia, that smells like pee to them. Good luck, I went through it for years, trying to hide it all from my husband too.

Lil

Where is he in the pecking order Crumpet? I wonder if maybe he is at the top and is showing his authority by peeing in different places, or if he is at the bottom and daren't pee where the other higher ranking cats do? Could you put one litter tray somewhere else (maybe where he is already peeing) and see if he will use that one?
    A big boy did it and ran away.

got this from a website, sorry that it repeats some of what I already said above:

Please take the cat to the vet and tell the vet what she is doing. You need to specify that the cat is urinating outside the box so that the vet knows what to look for. Peeing outside the litter box is the #1 symptom of urinary tract problems!

If the vet says she is okay, then consider making a few changes.

If you use a covered litter box, take off the lid. Many cats refuse to use covered boxes.

Cats prefer fine grained unscented litter. So, you might try changing litter.

Make sure you have at least one litter box per cat.

Do not place litter boxes right next to each other because they cat might interpret the two boxes as one and then refuse to use the second box if the first box has any old urine or feces in it.

Make sure you scoop the litter box daily, and with multiple cats, scoop twice daily. Cats often refuse to use dirty boxes.

If your litter boxes are real old, they may have absorbed odors even if you regularly clean them. So, try buying new boxes.

Make sure your litter boxes are in a place where the cat feels safe while going potty. If she is disturbed by you or your kids(?) or the other cat while she is trying to potty, she will choose to
    use a safer location. So, move the litter box to a location where she can see the comings and goings of the other people & animals in the house.

Put a litter box on each level (floor) of the house.

Make sure you thoroughly clean all old urine spots on the rug and elsewhere. If she can smell the old urine she will think that place is a good place to pee. Use a flourescent black light to find old urine and treat all old spots with an enzymatic cleanser.

Try putting a plastic carpet runner upside down on the places they like to pee....most cats don't like to walk on the "spikes" so they will avoid the covered spots.

Put something real smelly where she likes to pee...most cats hate the smell of citrus, so try
    putting citrus scented air freshener or orange peels or citrus potpourri where she pees.

(Me talking again: one of my male cats used to refuse to pee and poop in the same box, he had to have one box for each)

Crumpet, the one time we ever had a cat exhibit this kind of behavior, peeing on fabric, it turned out he was diabetic. Our vet said this was typical- for some reason diabetic male cats tend to pee on soft things.

He could also have a bladder infection or crystals in his urine.

It sounds like a vet visit wouldn't be a bad idea, either way.

I'd echo the advice to see your vet. If it is a urinary tract issue, be scrupulous about having fresh drinking water and the proper food at all times as well as adequate cleaned litter boxes. Almost every time I've had a cat do this it was because they were trying to tell me something. "I don't feel good and I'm going to pee on your stuff until you do something about it."

The only exception to this that I've ever experienced was my late great Willow who just liked to pee in sinks. She was a nut.

Vinegar is fantastic for removing urine smells from almost everything so they don't re-mark a spot. The vinegar smell goes away after a short time.

Good luck.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Ok, I'm definitely taking asshole cat to the vet. I have struggled with this very problem for a long time now, & I'm sick of it. I'm so sick of walking into my laundry room every morning & seeing pee all over the floor around the box.

I've used every kind of litter imaginable, there is no cover on the box, and at one time I had 2 self-cleaning boxes going, but it didn't matter. Still pee on the floor.

I really wonder if he has an infection now. I'm taking him in.

About those spikes on the plastic runners, I tried putting one on my formal dining table to keep the bastards off. Figured they would eventually stop jumping up there, & I could take the runner off. I noticed that one kitty liked to take long, luxurious naps on top of the spikes. Maybe it was like acupuncture.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Y'all are very kind to respond to me. I've made an appt to leave him at the vet monday am so they can keep him for the day and check his pee. I took him in once before when he peed in my bathtub and his urine was okay, but it's better sdafe than sorry. I just spent $1300 on another cat's urinary blockage...he's on meds daily and has special food and he's been fine. I don't think MayMay is blocked, but there could be an infection. Re: pecking order: He's 3rd in line of 4....God only knows how they figure out the rank, but he's typically involved whenver there's a fuss with one of the other cats. Thanks, I'll update next week.

I am going through the same thing right now with my boy cat, MettMett. I have had him in the vet 4 times in the last two months, because he was not able to go to the bathroom. The last visit, they put him on a 14 day dose pill antibiotic, kept him on his expensive new food and sent his urine to be cultured at Michigan State University's animal hospital.

So far, so good, although every time his antibiotics ran out he would be having problems again. He keeps having recurrent cystitis and the second time I took him in they detected crystals. The vet said that it is very common for older male, especially neutered cats. Also, my cat is a little on the overweight side, but seems to be slimming up a little, with the new food.

Keep your fingers crossed for me because if this doesn't work, I am looking at surgery where they will reconstruct his urethra to shorten it like a females to help prevent inflammation/blockage. I can only imagine what that is going to cost.
    So you hate your job? There's a support group for that....It's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar.

The food is expensive, but you do save on vet bills!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

sometimes when the girls get old they need to be on antibiotics every day forever, like my Missy. The vet said their bladders get little tiny wrinkles and they keep getting infections.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    Almost every time I've had a cat do this it was because they were trying to tell me something. "I don't feel good and I'm going to pee on your stuff until you do something about it."
    This is a telling phrase. After you come back from the vet hopefully with a diagnosis and some medication, maybe your could put him into the bathroom with him own box and food and water for a few days (or weeks) until he is well again.

I also had one old girl, Ernestine, who peed on things just because they were on the floor. I became a very good housekeeper to keep her safe from my ex. Bath mats, socks, towels, etc, were verboten on any flooring surface

Funny how we have to hide this from our husbands sometimes, maybe they love the furniture more than the cats?
    Last edited by Reptillycus; September 24th, 2006 at 01:15 AM. Reason: duplicate quote my stupidity

Keep your fingers crossed for me because if this doesn't work, I am looking at surgery where they will reconstruct his urethra to shorten it like a females to help prevent inflammation/blockage. I can only imagine what that is going to cost.

It's a pretty common procedure and it runs about $800-$900. It's almost always successful, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, though. My cat Butters has been successful with his special food and 2x per day Uroeze poweder mixed in. It increases the acidity in his urine. He was hospitalized twice and the vet said she'd never seen such gook (crystals)come out of a cat's bladder. I had to give him IV fluids for 1 1/2 months startingg once daily then tapering to 3x per week. the needle was huge and it was miserable. I was ready to pull out the MasterCard and get his darn dick cut off. I spent about $1300 total. His ultra sound cost $400!!!

I'm taking MayMay to the vet tomorrow to drop him off so they can check his urine. He's acting normally and hasn't peed anywhere (that I know of) since last week. I moved the food dishes to a separate room. Thanks so much, y'all, it really warms my hear to see how many responded.

Well, MayMay has a slight infection and there was blood and crystals in his urine. He's on antibiotic for a week and he'll be on the 'special diet' forever just like Butters. But he likes the food and he's doing well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information