Thread: Do you cook for your pets?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Do you cook for your pets?

I sometimes cook for Elmo but it's usually just either stir frying or boiling things like livers (beef/pork/chicken). I've stir fried chicken hearts for him once, they actually smelled good...(seasoned them with a tiny bit of soy sauce...)

Other times, he gets some veggies mixed in with his dog food. Mostly cooking scraps, if I were making a salad, he gets some lettuce or tomatos in his food or if I were making some steamed veggies, he gets some of that.

A book I bought actually has recipes for homemade dog meals and snacks...but I'm not too keen on cooking anything gourmet for my dog, for one thing I'm too lazy. Though I might wanna try and bake doggie biscotti.

There are some pet food stores nearby that sell homemade/natural dog treats. I bought Elmo some Baffalo liver jerkies the other day. When we go to this public market (Granville Island Market for those of you from Van) there's a dog deli and they sell Woofles (doggie waffles).

I'm planning on boiling pork liver tonight

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Zee

If my dog needs to lose weight- he gets roasted pumpkin. Dog loves it. Vet suggested this diet and thought he was nuts.

If we don't have time, he just gets canned pumpkin mixed in with his food.

Moomies- Elmo has the life!
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

We've been told by the vets for years and years that Elmo is overweight and needs to go on a diet (pugs tend to get chubby ). We tried feeding him special low calorie diet food but I just felt bad that he has to eat shitty food. It can't be too nutritious.

I'll try some pumpkin zorbeet. Thanks for sharing.

At the heaviest I think he weighed about 24lb, now he's 22-21. The diet technician at the vet advised us that pugs should weigh about 18lb...she even said that they'd look kinda anorexic (cuz as I said pugs are usually chubby) but that's their healthy weight and they wouldn't be susceptible to heart diseases and what not.
    Last edited by moomies; September 12th, 2006 at 06:14 PM.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Yes I cook for my parrots, make sure that they have a balanced diet of not just their seed mixture but of cooked and raw ingredients they need like roasted peppers, cooked rice and noodles, fruits, veggies, cheese bits. They require supplimental food to stay healthy.

While I don't cook specifically for my kitties, I do set out a little of whatever I'm making for supper. Bits of cooked chicken, hamburger, etc. They LOOOOOVE me!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Cat owners, be careful of all home cooked diets for your cats. They need taurine or they could lose their sight. My last remaining cat is 21, so I let her eat anything she wants to but always make sure there is cat food involved in it too.

On Sunday mornings my dog, Patches, gets bacon, pancakes, and eggs like the rest of the family.

Hell no!!!! I don't even cook for myself!
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Lil

My cats are on bought cat food. The have biscuits most of the day, but I give them one of those little trays of meat to share for breakfast. I don't cook for them, but if I am trimming meat I give them a little offcut, or I might give them the skin from cooked fish.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    Cat owners, be careful of all home cooked diets for your cats. They need taurine or they could lose their sight. My last remaining cat is 21, so I let her eat anything she wants to but always make sure there is cat food involved in it too.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....wait a minute...your cat is 21 years old??? Holy crap, you must be doing something right!!!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

we call zorro cinder block because hes a little bit chubby...he eats everything the family eats..and specifically gets his own plate made up...my boyfriends mom spoils him to death, and hes got the attitude to prove it..he loves noodles and mashed potatoes, chicken is his favorite..and pizza too

i think he eats better than i do half the time

I give my dog, dog food, but he also gets a heap of my family's dinner leftovers. He cant complain, he eats like a king. And i wouldn;t have it any other way, I love my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by silver024 View Post
    we call zorro cinder block because hes a little bit chubby...he eats everything the family eats..and specifically gets his own plate made up...my boyfriends mom spoils him to death, and hes got the attitude to prove it..he loves noodles and mashed potatoes, chicken is his favorite..and pizza too

i think he eats better than i do half the time

Haha, my Dad always said about my dog, 'that dog eats better than most people in the neighbourhood!'

Rhino usually has lamb's heart cooked for him on special occassions. He absolutely devours it within seconds.

My dog is supposed to eat her dog food, which is dry dog food from the vet with some canned dog food mixed in (she's a fatty). She is a lab and is food driven, like 99.9% of all dogs I have ever met. She steals the cat food and whatever she can reach off the counter in the kitchen. I tried to go the natural route and cook her meals, but it made her poop funky and it made her even more gassy so she went back to dog food. Still, she has mastered the art of begging and gets food from us and truly benefits from restaurant doggie bags She does get plenty of freshly cooked meals and loves tomatoes. Plus, she gets a carob cake on her birthday. The cats come running for chicken, tuna and one of my cats loves pretzels.

Thread Information